Profile for Hard Working Woman > Reviews

Content by Hard Working Woman

Hard Working Woman (France)

Page: 1 | 2
BRITA Classic Filter Cartridges 3 Pack
BRITA Classic Filter Cartridges 3 Pack
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic water filter, 21 Nov 2013
I have been using Brita filters for years and was particularly miffed when I needed to re-stock on cartridges and discovered they had changed the shape of the jug and therefore the filter. Typical - another instance of 'forcing' the customer to buy a complete new kit. There were some universal filters on the shelves which I tried and noticed very soon that the water wasn't tasting right. So I decided to take a look on Amazon on the off-chance that I could buy the old type filters, and there they were.
I'm very pleased and hope that Amazon will be able to continue stocking them.

Who On Earth Are You?: A Field Guide to Identifying and Knowing Yourself
Who On Earth Are You?: A Field Guide to Identifying and Knowing Yourself
by Nick Inman
Price: 9.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, who on earth are you?, 19 Nov 2013
`Who on Earth are You?' - an intriguing title for an intriguing book. Nick Inman takes the reader on a fascinating ride of discovery.
Identity, surely such a simple concept, has, when we're prompted to think about it, multiple aspects. The author covers them all and more, if that's possible, provoking us to see ourselves in metaphorical `technicolour'.
Title notwithstanding, for clearly-explained reasons, Mr. Inman tackles his subject in the first person giving the text charm and intimacy. Thus the reader is able to instantly empathise with the dilemmas that establishing a `selfhood' can involve. We're escorted through the maze of who we are from the obvious - name, age, address etc. - to the spiritual, stopping along the way to examine the many facets of the human personal profile; facets such as genetic heritage, intellectual profile, virtual profile, physical attributes, race or category and the subconscious.
We are profiled from top to toe in the most entertaining way. It is impossible not to come across multiple resonances and I found myself saying `Wow, yes, that's a great way of putting it!' many times.
The book is beautifully written with wit and irony and was a pleasure to read. I highly recommend it.

Most Good, Least Harm: A Simple Principle for a Better World and Meaningful Life
by Zoe Weil
Price: 8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars It's High Time to Stop and Think, 10 May 2013
This book certainly makes us sit up and think. How easy it is to sail through life not once considering the consequences of what we do or the origins of what we buy.
To those of us aiming at a sustainable lifestyle at the same time as maintaining our integrity, Zoe Weil has much to say. Who wants to think that the producing of something they've bought, for pleasure if not for practical reasons, might have involved slavery, sweat-shop conditions, out-and-out exploitation of human resources as well as planetary degradation? For those of us with a conscience, it's not comfortable, is it? As for our treatment of animals for food, fashion, medicines, household products, cosmetics and toiletries, for many people, this simply does not bear thinking about, so they don't.
Zoe Weil reminds us that we should start behaving responsibly towards our fellow human beings, Mother Nature and the animal kingdom if we are not to destroy everything we claim to hold dear - before it's too late. Thank you Zoe.

Vegetarian: The Greatest Ever Vegetarian Cookbook
Vegetarian: The Greatest Ever Vegetarian Cookbook
by Nicola Graimes

5.0 out of 5 stars A BOOK THAT LIVES UP TO ITS NAME, 18 Nov 2012
This cook book has to be one my favourites - it really is great. There are step-by-step illustrated instructions and high-class photographs throughout. The recipes are inventive yet not too complicated. I recommend it to anyone who already is veggie, wishes to become one or who just enjoys the occasional meat or fish-free meal. A gem amongst my cook books. Only complaint, it's heavy!

The Dukan Diet
The Dukan Diet
by Pierre Dukan

1.0 out of 5 stars Not if you value your health, 14 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Dukan Diet (Paperback)
I bought this book as research for an article - how come French women seem to maintain such slender figures? I wanted to lose a few kilos so I thought I would try out the Dukan diet for myself. As a vegetarian, it presented me with a problem - it's very similar to the Atkins diet, heavy on the protein, particularly to start with. However I struggled along. For the first few days the effect was diuretic, so I lost weight - mostly water. I then began to feel off-colour and decided I wasn't prepared to go any further.
Two friends also tried the diet. They were meat-eaters so it wasn't difficult. After ten days they were feeling ill - yes, they'd lost weight but they decided lack of energy and constipation weren't prices they were prepared to pay. They came off it too.
I suggest anyone thinking of trying out this diet, does some thorough research first. Try reading 'The China Study' by T. Colin Campbell, which really gives high-protein diets the thumbs down, and with massive amounts of research to back up the conclusions.
Subsequent to trying The Dukan Diet, I have done two things which have caused the desired weight loss and I have never felt better. The first was to drop dairy products and become an ovo-vegetarian (no animal products bar the occasional organic egg), the second was to go on a long detox diet - I bought 'The Body Ecology Diet' by Donna Gates which had been recommended by my acupuncturist. It is hard, so you need will-power and determination. The results have been amazing (I'm still following the principles of pro-biotic eating) - it not only cleaned me out but brought me up to optimum health.
Sorry, thumbs down to 'The Dukan Diet.'

The Psychedelic Renaissance: Reassessing the Role of Psychedelic Drugs in 21st Century Psychiatry and Society (Muswell Hill Press)
by Dr Ben Sessa
Price: 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating and extremely valuable book, 12 Oct 2012
Having thoroughly enjoyed Ben Sessa's novel `The Psychedelic Psychiatrist', I was very keen to read his factual approach to the subject of de-criminalising psychedelic drugs for medical use.
His account of the history of hallucinogens, of the research carried out prior to prohibition and of present-day (recreational) use is admirably thorough. The conclusions are totally convincing - these substances should, in a psychotherapeutic setting, be available to those suffering from such mental problems as PTSD, depression, addiction to alcohol and the like. Why? Because they work. It's frightening that governments are so cowed by the media, who influence public opinion, that they're reluctant to overturn the current laws to help a large number of sufferers. Also very significant is the fact that, as Ben points out, pharmaceutical treatments have, to date, not been effective. Of course, Big Pharma would hate to lose the revenue from them so it's easy to imagine where they would stand on the issue, and they have a lot of influence.
I hope this fascinating and extremely valuable book will help sway a host of influential minds so that people can receive the treatments to which, I believe, they have a right.

To Live Outside the Law: Caught by Operation Julie, Britain's Biggest Drugs Bust
by Leaf Fielding
Price: 12.41

5.0 out of 5 stars UNIQUE AND COLOURFUL WINDOW INTO THE HIPPY UNDERGROUND, 13 Feb 2012
This extraordinary book is compulsive reading. Through the horrors of English public school, bizarre adventures on the road, fascinating detail about the making of LSD and its distribution, to the five years he spent in prison, the narrative had me hooked. Mr. Fielding has tackled a tricky subject with laudable honesty and, whatever his views are now, they do not colour the account of his part in the conspiracy that led to the Operation Julie bust. Whether you were a tripper around at the time or too young to have experienced the era of Peace and Love, this is a book I can thoroughly recommend.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars BARELY ADEQUATE, 8 Jan 2012
This blanket is called King Size, I would say it's more like an ordinary double - the plug-in's for the controls are about a foot in from the edge of the bed and not comfortable to lie on. The centre gets hotter than the edges. Our cheapo from a travelling wagon lasted over ten years and was far better than this.

Mains Coffee Bean Spice Pulse Nut Herb Seed Multi Use Grinder
Mains Coffee Bean Spice Pulse Nut Herb Seed Multi Use Grinder

4.0 out of 5 stars ALMOST BUT NOT QUITE, 5 Nov 2011
It's relief to find a grinder that can deal with linseed. There's no question this little machine does the job although you have to shake it around during grinding. However, the lead is ridiculously short and as for removing the lid without spilling the contents all over the place, well, it's pretty difficult - you have to do it over a large bowl.

No Off Switch: An Autobiography
No Off Switch: An Autobiography
by Andy Kershaw

5.0 out of 5 stars HANG ONTO YOUR HAT!, 17 Oct 2011
The last time I took a hair-raising ride was on the switchback in Disneyworld. That is, until I read Andy Kershaw's `No Off Switch'. I could almost feel the whip-lash as I raced through the pages.
As a presenter of music programmes with a passion for rooting out talent, he travelled the globe to find it. To say he's an expert in his field sounds dead corny, but he is. As a foreign correspondent, he crossed closed borders and penetrated forbidden territory. His adventures make exhilarating and enlightening reading. Here's a man who stares right into the barrel of life, I thought. At home in BBCville, no nerd was left unmasked, no idiot unmentioned, but those he loved, he loved intensely and with unswerving loyalty. My God, his colleagues knew where they were with him.
The pages of this autobiography are chokka with bizarre and magical characters, painted so vividly, you almost fall in love with them yourself. For example John Walters, Andy's producer at Radio One, an endearing, one-off nutter, a genuine eccentric. Then there was Biggie Tembo of the The Bhundu Boys from Zimbabwe - an adorable ray of sunshine. And Andy's stalwart sister, Our Elizabeth, always there to protect his corner.
On the flipside, there were the grade A idiots (usually in charge where they shouldn't be) the bland brigade and, of course, the crawlers. You found yourself hoping they'd be dumped on from a dizzy height (sadly, they seldom were).
Andy doesn't go too lengthily into the trauma he suffered when his relationship broke up. As an ex-pat, I wasn't aware of what happened, so I was a little lost here and there. It sounded horrendous and must have been very difficult to write about.
From a `literary' (yes, I hate that word too, but sometimes, there ain't no other) standpoint, surprise-surprise, Andy ignores the rule book and gets away with it. Often I had no idea where I was in time - but it didn't matter. I would have liked more dialogue, but maybe that would've slowed things down. There are lots of pics and that's great and, hooray, an index.
So, if you want to read about a man who's crammed more into his life than most, this is definitely a book for you. I loved it.

Page: 1 | 2