Profile for CaSundara > Reviews

Content by CaSundara

CaSundara "If you are aware of your humility, then you are arrogant. ~ Ibn Ata'illah" (Nr London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Ritual: Power, Healing, and Community (Compass)
Ritual: Power, Healing, and Community (Compass)
by Malidoma Patrice Some

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What I'd Expected, 27 Jun. 2014
This book contains some interesting and thought-provoking information about ritual, particularly the funerary rites practised by the Dagara tribe, which I found rather wonderful; the psychological benefits of such a ceremony, both for the individual and the community, are patently obvious. However, he also presented some anecdotes that failed to prove whatever it was the author hoped to show by sharing them. It was as though the author believed that by explaining that he believes some incident or other was caused by the anger or need of some dead ancestor, that A. This is therefore fact and that, B. This is the case in every similar scenario.

Besides the ritual animal sacrifice discussed, I was shocked to read that his Grandfather went so far as killing a buzzard for s***ting on his head - because elders deserve respect and command it not only from other humans but also from animals. Odd, to say the least...

Mr Some's observations about modern life are correct - but are also obvious to many of us or, at least, nothing new. TBH, I'm a little disappointed based on the reviews here.

3 Stars.

The Ancestral Continuum: Unlock the Secrets of Who You Really Are
The Ancestral Continuum: Unlock the Secrets of Who You Really Are

3.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting & Enjoyable Read, 19 Jun. 2014
I enjoyed this book and already believed much of what is discussed to be possible; but I felt the authors held back on discussing various beliefs (reincarnation, for example), and that some scientific information regarding DNA and genes might have added to the reasonable deductions made about how much we might inherit from our ancestors. It was recently proven by neurologists that mice pass down fears related to traumatic experiences to their descendants as phobias so I have no hesitance in believing what is proposed, but it really is just a bunch of anecdotes and it could have been so much more.

Nagasaki
Nagasaki

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete Disappointment, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Nagasaki (Kindle Edition)
This very short story failed to impress. I didn't connect with either of the narrators, neither of whom were explored in any detail. The ending was abrupt and the whole book - all fifty-odd pages of it - seemed to have been very poorly translated and/or written. I'm actually glad it wasn't any longer as I only just made it to the end - and in only in utter disbelief at how bad it was. I wish I'd downloaded a sample before buying but, luckily, I only wasted 99p. Still, I'd have preferred to have donated it to charity.

Trauma and the Soul: A psycho-spiritual approach to human development and its interruption
by Donald Kalsched

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be required reading for all therapists and shamanic practitioners, as well as trauma victims, 15 May 2014
This book is a clear and compassionate elucidation of dissociation' it will be of as much value to the 'client' as it will to the therapist. It explains from a psychological perspective one of the disorders known commonly to western shamans as 'soul loss'. It could be read alongside Sandra Ingerman's 'Soul Retrieval' for further explanation. Brilliant!

Turning the Stones
Turning the Stones

3.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Adventure/Mystery/Love Story, 8 May 2014
I enjoyed this book; it was well written and gripping and I thought most characters very believable. I also thought Em's internal dialogue was realistic and insightful with regard to self-examination. The author is obviously an intelligent and thoughtful woman. I liked the fact rational explanations were provided for almost everything that might be understood as as paranormal, leaving the reader to choose how to perceive events. However, the implausibility of one or two situations was a shame, as was the fact the book couldn't decide whether it was an adventure story, a supernatural thriller or a love story. I think combining two elements rather than three might have worked better. Nevertheless, I would certainly read this author again.

Sufi: An enlightening tale
Sufi: An enlightening tale

1.0 out of 5 stars Condescending and Riddled with Errors, 23 April 2014
I've given up reading at just 20%. This is the first time I've given up on a book in years but I can't read something that clearly wasn't even error-checked in Word. This book needs a lot of work. I also feel I'm being spoken to as if I'm an idiot. Not impressed.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2014 1:14 PM GMT

Longbourn
Longbourn

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame About the Ending, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Longbourn (Kindle Edition)
Despite not having read P&P, I enjoyed reading most of this book. However, after some fantastic prose, some wonderful observations and the introduction and partial development of a number interesting characters. the ending was ultimately disappointing and unsatisfying. I wish the author had taken longer to meat out the last 15%-20% of the book as it felt rushed and contrived. Just as I felt I was getting to know people and to care for them, it all came to a rather abrupt end. I appreciate that everything had to fit in with the events in P&P but feel the ending could have been so much more memorable and - as another reviewer mentioned - realistic.

SPOILER ALERT: I fully expected a tragedy of some kind but everything fell neatly into place in as happy an ending as one could imagine given the circumstances - and that was that. I wasn't left thinking about anything or feeling anything.

There were also several errors in the Kindle version.

3.5 Stars

The Inner World of Trauma: Archetypal Defences of the Personal Spirit (Near Eastern St.;Bibliotheca Persica)
by Donald Kalsched

5.0 out of 5 stars Liberating!, 6 April 2014
I've only read 23% of this book but I'm already recommending it to anyone and everyone! It was probably intended for therapists only but, as a victim of trauma, I'm finding it sooooooooooooooo liberating.

I'm currently training as a shaman and needed a psychological explanation for the various shamanic beliefs and practices. This book gave me exactly that, as well as pardoning me for my reactions to emotional and physical abuse. A HUGE, heartfelt thank-you to the author. I've already bought his second book!

Meinl Foot Rattle - Natural
Meinl Foot Rattle - Natural

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame the Velcro ruins the material..., 6 April 2014
These ankle rattles make a nice sound, though not quite as nice as the ones made from seed-pods. But they'll last far longer than the seed-pod type which fall apart fairly quickly as they're strung on thin elastic. However, they're too big for my skinny ankles and if I tighten them to fit properly the Velcro damages the material - which is a real shame, especially considering how expensive they are.

The Journey to the Sacred Garden
The Journey to the Sacred Garden

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay for Absolute Beginners, 29 Mar. 2014
This tiny book does NOT represent good value for money. I bought it at reduced price and still think it's a rip-off. Its few pages are almost half-filled with uninteresting and unnecessary images and every time what little text there is gets interesting the author fails to provide enough information and promptly changes topic. No definitions for 'soul' or 'spirit' are provided and assumptions about reincarnation aren't explained. Perhaps the author wants me to buy his other books to find out more about his beliefs but I shan't. Virtually everything in this book can be found for free online.

Also, there are numerous errors in the Kindle formatting and, for some unknown reason, the author uses four dots to trail off at the end of a sentence instead of three....

Two Stars. Poor effort. Not recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12