Profile for Natalie C > Reviews

The Yellow Birds
The Yellow Birds
by Kevin Powers

4.0 out of 5 stars What she said, 5 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Yellow Birds (Hardcover)
As everyone has stated, this is brilliant, beautiful, moving etc.

It really makes you think, a lot, about life and death. It is definitely not a read for Thanatophobians.

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Eats, Shoots and Leaves
by Lynne Truss

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 29 Jan. 2013
It is not a step-by-step guide but it is filled with lots of entertaining anecdotes. I actually learnt a lot from it, although I am still highly conscious of typing out this review and making a mistake!

Angry Boys [DVD]
Angry Boys [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Lilley

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Mazeballs, 28 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Angry Boys [DVD] (DVD)
Received this for Christmas and couldn't be happier. Chris Lilley is a genius. Tim's mum and S.mouse's dad are the best characters. Cannot wait for his new show, fingers-crossed it's Summer Heights High 2!

Casino Royale: James Bond 007
Casino Royale: James Bond 007

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the movie (as all good books are), 24 Jan. 2013
The only James Bond films I have seen are Casino Royale and Skyfall. The former, I thought, was terrible, more a collection of adverts for the latest gadgets than anything else and far too long. But as it was on the World Book Night list I thought I'd give it a read. I very much enjoyed it. Much more than the movie. I realise it is my own fault for not knowing French but it did impede my reading of it, as I had to keep looking up what Fleming meant at times. And his use of the word 'ironical' in every sentence was irritating. Some people find it sexist but that is just part of the Bond package and it would be boring if every character was politically correct. Aside from these things it was an exciting and extravagant story.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

1.0 out of 5 stars Better as a picture book, 24 Jan. 2013
I'm so glad to read that other people hated this as much as I did. I tried. I got to the point where he stole the suitcase and got to the cabin. But it just felt such a waste of time to read. It was irritatingly repetitive. It was like reading a children's book, where they repeat two or three phrases over and over. If I heard the description of the bad guy one more time I thought I would burn it. I genuinely think it would make a great picture book for kids.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2013 8:25 PM GMT