Profile for jsm999 > Reviews

jsm999 (Bedfordshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, functional and good value, 8 Nov 2012
Case fits well on a 2nd generation iPod, looks attractive (just like the picture) and provides some protection. The charging lead fits easily even with the case on, which is important as the case is not easy to remove once it's on. I'd recommend buying a pack of at least 5 screen protectors as well (they're tricky to apply). Good value for the price I paid, daughter is pleased with the design, and it does what it's supposed to.

Be.ez LA Robe Capture Case for Tablets - Black/Wasabi
Be.ez LA Robe Capture Case for Tablets - Black/Wasabi

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, functional protection for graphics tablet, 18 Oct 2012
This 'Capture' case fits the following Bamboo graphics tablets: Bamboo Pen (CTL-470K), Pen & Touch (CTH-470K), and Fun S Pen & Touch (CTH-470S). Internal dimensions: 278 x 176 x 11mm. I'd recommend checking the exact model number of your tablet against the Be.ez website (thanks to another reviewer for that good advice) which lists which cases are suitable for which tablets.

The case is made of 'low resilience polyurethane' memory foam, which is a little thicker and more rigid than the neoprene type case I have for my laptop, and provides good protection to the tablet which fits snugly inside. There is a little loop just inside the zip where the pen will fit, and a small holder for spare pen tips. As usual, there isn't any special storage for the USB lead. The seam inside protects the tablet from the zip. The case feels very well made; it looks smart and unobtrusive, and the neon yellow/green lining (almost) matches the underside of my tablet.

Attractive and good protection without being bulky, but a bit expensive compared to the cost of the tablet itself.

Trixie 30083 '' Safety Vest for Dogs L 64 - 81 cm Black
Trixie 30083 '' Safety Vest for Dogs L 64 - 81 cm Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value reflective vest, 25 Aug 2012
This is a nice, simple reflective vest - easy to put on and off, washable, and attractive. I bought the 'large' (64-81cm) jacket for our labrador. It fits, but only just - it's fine round the collar, but is a little stretched around her chest. She's a slim 27kg, but her chest is quite deep. I suspect the extra large would be too big round the neck, so this is probably the right size for her, but if she put on much weight, I'd have to add an extra piece to the tummy strap.

Philips SHL5605GY/10 CitiScape Downtown On-Ear Headphones - Grey
Philips SHL5605GY/10 CitiScape Downtown On-Ear Headphones - Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, good sound insulation, 22 May 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These over head earphones are very comfortable to wear, even over glasses. They adjust to fit my daughter's small head as well as mine, and don't slip off. The padding is very soft, they stay in place, and you almost can't feel them - they really are extremely comfortable. The ear pieces are not as large as some and they sit on your ears rather than round them, but I found they didn't press uncomfortably even after wearing for 40 minutes at a time. The 1.2m flat cord is very resistant to tangling. I'm not entirely convinced about the pale grey colour - suspect it might get grubby if I carry them around in my bag.

The headphones have a small microphone, so you can use them with a mobile phone, and they come with a little 3.5mm adaptor for Nokia, Samsung and Sony-Ericsson. However, we tried with and without the adaptor on my daughter's Samsung Galaxy phone - they worked either way, and she reckoned the sound was better without. The headphones work well with my iPhone (no adaptor needed), and the microphone works well for phonecalls. There is a handy little button on the microphone which pauses your music if you press once, resumes if you press again; for some reason, holding it down switches on 'Voice Control' on my iPhone which doesn't seem terribly useful.

I'm pleased with the sound quality - but a few minutes on the internet will demonstrate that everyone has different opinions and experiences of speakers and headphones, and some people find it surprising that others can have different preferences! So, trying to be as objective as possible...

As with other headphones and speakers I've used in the past, I found I had to adjust the equaliser settings on my computer/phone for best results. Listening through iTunes, spoken word tracks sounded slightly muffled until I adjusted the equaliser to boost the mid-tones, which gave very good results. Heavy rock was quite weak using default settings, but again, adjusting the equaliser to boost the bass and especially the lower mid-tones relative to the other frequencies gave much better results - I found this also worked for classical music. Once adjusted, I find the bass is acceptable, but it's not as deep and rich as when I listen through decent speakers, and it may not be strong enough for everyone. Vocals are very clear and clean, and quiet sections are clear and detailed.

There is very little noise leakage from these headphones. Even with the sound turned up to ear-damaging levels, it was almost impossible to hear anything from outside, and when sound did leak, it wasn't that tinny tsshk-tsshk sound you often get from the kid next to you on the bus, but the actual music. More importantly to me, they do a very good job of filtering out external noise too, which means you don't need to turn the volume up so high (and risk damage to hearing) when listening in the car or when there is other background noise. I was able to listen to a programme on my computer while my family watched something else on TV in the same room - the sound quality was excellent and there was no intrusive noise from the TV.

For general listening, especially in a noisy environment, these are very comfortable indeed, good enough sound quality for the price, and seem well made.

Update: the lead failed after about a year, no sound to one side. Disappointed they didn't last longer, as I had only used them at home, and think I'd been reasonably careful looking after them. My daughter's Sennheiser headphones have lasted a lot longer even though the cord looks flimsier.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2012 1:53 PM BST

1x Lyvia EnergySaver (28w=40w) GLS Xenon Lamp (ES/E27) - Natural Daylight/Clear Bulb -
Offered by GoodsWholesaleUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright clear light, 21 May 2012
The bulb fits a standard E27 screw-in socket, and at first glance, looks like a normal light bulb - but inside the conventional globe is a halogen bulb, which gives a nice clear, bright light. I hate the normal 'energy saving' bulbs that take hours to warm up and then give this nasty dull grey/pink flickery light, so very pleased to find an energy saving light bulb that gives good quality light to work or read by.
I'm not convinced about the estimated 2000 hours lifespan. This has been in more or less daily use for 5 months, in a desk light, so even assuming 3 hours a day, that's only 450 hours. I'll still buy another though, as the light quality is excellent.

The Museum of Everything (BBC Audio)
The Museum of Everything (BBC Audio)
by Danny Robins
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing sketch show, 17 May 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Museum of Everything is a comedy sketch show originally broadcast on BBC Radio 4, featuring Marcus Brigstocke. It has its share of laugh-out-loud moments, and also some repetitive and less successful material, but overall it is quite amusing and worth a listen, especially after the first couple of episodes. I probably won't listen to it a second time, or not for a while anyway, but if you enjoy sketch shows along the lines of the Fast Show, you'll probably find this a mildly amusing CD to keep you smiling through long car journeys etc.

9ct Gold Seal Stud Earrings
9ct Gold Seal Stud Earrings
Offered by Peninsula Jewellery

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute gold earrings, 5 Feb 2012
I bought these for my daughter, who had her ears pierced fairly recently and needed gold studs - and loves seals. They are nicely made, with small butterfly backs - very neat but easy to lose (she's managed to lose one already). The seal is a bit cartoony, but quite cute. I was a little concerned the tails might catch on clothes or hair, but they are well finished and this hasn't been a problem. They are small enough to work well on a child's ears, and have proved acceptable for her school where the rule is small studs. I would recommend these for a child (or adult seal fan!)

Traditional Christmas Santa Dog Hat - Large
Traditional Christmas Santa Dog Hat - Large

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit small, 4 Feb 2012
I bought one of these Santa hats for our very tolerant labrador, who happily wore it round town at Christmas. I bought the large size, and she wasn't fully grown at the time (8 months old), but it was still a bit small for her - it was OK, but if there was a larger size, it would be better. It would be quite small on a full grown lab. There is an adjustable string to go round the dog's neck to hold it on. It did keep slipping off the top of her head. Having said all that, she did look very cute, got a lot of smiles and nice comments, and she was quite happy to wear it for the price of a few treats, so overall, a success.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very durable, 4 Feb 2012
I bought one of these Orka toys for our labrador, as it was supposed to withstand tough chewing, her speciality. She really liked it, and played with it solidly for about 20 minutes, in which time she managed to chew off the knots at one end of the rope and pull it out of the plastic tube. By this time the ropes were so frayed I had to take them away as she was swallowing bits of the cotton thread. So we were left with a plastic tube, which she wasn't that interested in, until I put some Kong paste inside; it then took her about half an hour to chew the blue plastic into small pieces, so had to take it away from her. Very glad I didn't pay full price for this. Nylabones and Kongs are the only chew toys we've found so far that she can't demolish within an hour. Perhaps Orka would like to employ her as a product tester before making claims about the durability of their dog toys!

Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet
Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, easy to use, 3 Jan 2012
I've been using a Wacom Intuos pen/tablet on my desktop computer for several years now, and no longer use a mouse at all, for anything. When I bought a Macbook, I really missed my tablet; the Macbook trackpad is OK, but nothing like as precise and (to me) intuitive as the pen and tablet, and no way could I go back to a clumsy and awkward mouse. So after some research, I decided to give the Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet a try. Installation was very easy indeed - plug it in, run the installation disk, and from then on, it just works. I have customised the settings a little, e.g. to set the button on the pen to a right mouse hover click, and it is worth investigating the different settings to find the arrangement that best suits you. Compared to my Intuos tablet, the Bamboo is only a little less precise, a little less pressure sensitive, and I'm quite satisfied with its performance. It does have a scratchier feel when drawing/writing - personally I prefer the smoother feel of the Intuos tablet, but that might be personal preference. The Bamboo tablet sits on my lap when I'm using the laptop, and the pen tucks away neatly in a little loop at the side of the pad when not in use; the tablet is small enough to be portable and not too cumbersome, while still allowing you to navigate accurately.

If you're new to a tablet/pen, it takes a little getting used to. The tablet maps to the screen, so if you point to the top right of the tablet, the pointer goes to the top right of the screen - unlike a mouse. It's worth investing that time getting used to it if you're doing any sort of work that requires precision - including drawing, handwriting, editing images in e.g. Photoshop, or even some games where you need to aim accurately. You can write with this pen in a drawing package, and what appears on the screen looks like your handwriting (very difficult to achieve with a mouse). The only thing I really miss, and occasionally go back to the trackpad for, is easy scrolling. I don't know about Windows, but on a Mac, you can still use the mouse/trackpad while the tablet is connected, just switch between them as you prefer.
The tablet comes with an art package and utilities, but I haven't investigated this as I use Photoshop.

Overall I'd recommend this tablet for general use, drawing, image editing like touching up photos, games etc.; if you're into heavy professional Photoshop work or serious artwork, then I think you'll want a larger tablet with more functionality like the Wacom Intuos range.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2013 10:28 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15