Profile for Marty J > Reviews

Marty J

Sony HT-CT370 2.1 Channel 300w Soundbar - Black
Sony HT-CT370 2.1 Channel 300w Soundbar - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't blow me away.... but it's all relevant!, 18 Mar. 2015
I've never owned a soundbar before but I just bought the Sony Bravia W829 (from the Sony Outlet store) and saw this soundbar on there too. After reading most of the reviews on here, I decided to buy this soundbar to enhance my new telly experience. I previously had an 8 year old rear projection Sony Bravia. The sound on that is tremendous, although it's a beast of a unit. Having read reviews for "modern" tvs I decided a soundbar was required to fulfil my expectations. So that's the context. Onto the soundbar...

It looks great! Really classy and expensive. Plenty of HDMI ports and easy sync up with Samsung phone (via bluetooth) and the new tv.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE SOUND, I hear you say.

Initially, it was not as good as I hoped, but then I was comparing it to my friends 5.1 surround which cost a fortune. I also was watching HD tv through Virgin or Netflix, which although is HD, isn't as good as a BR. When you plug in a blu-ray, and switch to movie mode, it really shows it's ability. Great for watching football too. The bass is suitably "rumbly" for goals and high speed car chases alike.

I don't want to ramble on so I'll conclude by saying:

It didn't blow me away initially, and still doesn't. But for this price (I got mine for £155 refurbished) why should it? It's significantly better than my new tvs sound, and better than my old tvs built in speakers. There are a multitude of modes and adjustables to play with and the bass is deep and satisfying. I'd absolutely recommend it, and although I personally would not have paid full price (£230+) for it, there is an argument to be made that it's worth it - particularly as it can replace a hifi at the same time.

Abducted
Abducted
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly abysmal, 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Abducted (DVD)
I can't recall having written a review before, but this film was so bad that I had to.

Where to begin; the acting, direction, characterisation, plot - all terrible.

I turned it off after less than an hour; I genuinely didn't care what happened.

Avoid.

Gorilla Tape 11m
Gorilla Tape 11m

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing stuff, 12 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Gorilla Tape 11m (DIY & Tools)
This stuff is brilliant.
A bit broke off the inside of my washing machine, meaning that there were holes exposed in the drum which my socks got into and were inevitably shredded. I tried using Duck tape to cover the holes, which lasted 4 or 5 washes before it came off, and then some ordinary gaffer tape which didn't even last for one!

I bought this stuff, and have only ever had to use it once, and that was months ago.
It has stuck to the metal inside my drum and kept my socks safe from harm!

Can't recommend it enough.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2015 10:34 AM GMT