Profile for Llelyn > Reviews

A Scots Quair
A Scots Quair
by Lewis Grassic Gibbon

5.0 out of 5 stars Never mind the Scots words...., 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: A Scots Quair (Paperback)
I am loving these books and find that frequently I feel as if I'm reading blank verse. The writing is wonderful.

HUNT AND BE DAMNED.
HUNT AND BE DAMNED.
by Iain P Russell

4.0 out of 5 stars A story of abandoned prejudice, 11 July 2014
This review is from: HUNT AND BE DAMNED. (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed this tale, true or not. The author's life has been packed with great variety of experience and though he had this reader laughing alound more than once the tragic elements of the story make the happy ending all the more pleasurable. Any horse lover will empathise with his gently unfolding love affair with the noble animals and even those who do not know the smell of a horse from the smell of diesel will find it hard to misunderstand the attraction they have for those who have come under their spell. Of course I want to know why the Dog & Nag dispensed with his services but I shall have to put up with not knowing, unless the reason is revealed in another book.

The Marriage Bargain (Billionaire Games Book 1)
The Marriage Bargain (Billionaire Games Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Does Sandra Edwards have English as a first language?, 12 Feb. 2014
I ask this question because of her frequent misuse of it. Maybe her editor is to blame but apart from the following examples:
..'wrecked havoc in her mind'...
‘Camille had no disillusions where Julian was concerned.’
she 'perched her hand in the air'
..'perching her purse onto her lap'..
'Bubbles floated up the amber liquid in relegated lines.'
The words grab and grabbed appeared no less that forty two times during the course of the book and mostly inappropriately:
..she cut the sandwich in half and grabbed a portion.
...'he grabbed his champagne glass'...
...'Camille grabbed her leather-bound checkbook...'
It was pure trash and I enjoyed every silly moment of it, not least because of the above which provoked unintended laughter in this reader. My husband begged me to stop reading it aloud to him.

The New Countess (Love and Inheritance)
The New Countess (Love and Inheritance)
by Fay Weldon

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the Fay Weldon I know and love, 14 Nov. 2013
I was very disappointed by this. I made the mistake of reading it before the other 2 in the trilogy but I felt it to be more suited to the Mills and Boon imprint than Zeus and it contained irritating errors such as the groom and his best man wore cravats as well as ties! Also they had coloured buttons on their boots?? In 1907 they would have been in formal morning dress with no colour at all except, possibly, a flower in a buttonhole. Not worthy of her, Fay Weldon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2013 12:38 PM GMT

Dear Mr Bigelow: A Transatlantic Friendship
Dear Mr Bigelow: A Transatlantic Friendship
by Frances Woodsford

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreadfully bereft when I finished it., 9 Aug. 2013
I enjoyed this book from first to last. The reviewer who 'learn nothing about the period' must be very unobservant. What about the hours worked, the deprevation, the rationing of everything from eggs to clothing? I was born in 1938 and it conjured up the atmosphere of my childhood vividly. I found Frances rather noble in her failure to complain too loudly about all she did for other people and the small amount of time she had to herself. When I had finished it I really missed her and longed to read Mr. Bigelow's first reply! The friend I lent it to felt the same.

A Vicarage In The Blitz
A Vicarage In The Blitz
by Anthea Craigmyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it..., 17 July 2013
Anyone who was not there and wishes to capture the atmosphere of war time Britain should read this book. I mean, everyone should read this book. Molly was an amazing woman and deserves the immortality her letters will surely bring her. I loved every word of it and would have read it at a sitting had I not started it at 9 p.m., half an hour before the time I usually fall asleep. One of its many pleasures was the faultless grammar which this old pedant misses in much modern writing. Are there still people like her?