Profile for Mr. Nadim Bakhshov > Reviews

Content by Mr. Nadim Bakhshov

Mr. Nadim Bakhshov "Nadim Bakhshov" (Bloomsbury, London)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bach: Brandenburgische Konzerte
Bach: Brandenburgische Konzerte
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Stand out, 2 Jan 2014
The Akademie have recently produced two brilliant CDs: Die Kunst Der Fuge and, with Rene Jacobs, Matthew Passion (Bach, of course).

Those recordings took me back to this and I have to say it is excellent.

Tacwise Z3-140 Staple Gun. Staple Gun Tacker
Tacwise Z3-140 Staple Gun. Staple Gun Tacker
Price: 19.81

5.0 out of 5 stars upholstery magic, 30 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife has wanted to put new covers on several chairs for some time and the only way we could see to get the job done was to get someone in or take it somewhere.

It never struck us that having a staple gun is something we would want to buy.....then I got this.

It is well designed and puts staples into wood and....my wife has now recovered the two chairs and is extremely pleased with the results.

Worth it if you want to do the job yourself.

Hotel Tycoon Board Game
Hotel Tycoon Board Game
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online
Price: 25.06

4.0 out of 5 stars better than monopoly?, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Hotel Tycoon Board Game (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My 7 year old and I spent 2 hours a few nights ago setting up all the pieces. Once it is all set up you are ready to play.

In many ways the creation of the hotels, buildings was, in itself, an entirely unexpected pleasure. She and I really enjoyed ourselves.

Then to the game itself.....it would be better if you know monopoly as it is, essentially, a variation on monopoly.

It differs in the following ways: it's visually smarter, more dynamic and simpler. It uses the idea of hotel entrances to charge those who come to your properties.

Our overall view was this was an excellent variant of the monopoly style game and would recommend it thoroughly. Although it says 8+ for age I woudl say a capable 7 year old will have no problem

Dove Real Beauty Gift Set
Dove Real Beauty Gift Set
Offered by CC Trading UK
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect gift material, 28 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Dove have developed a positive marketing brand - though who knows what goes into these various products.

Having said that my wife was pleased to try these out and give her positive views. It seems this set supports the positive brand name of Dove - and actually it is difficult to say whether we are reviewing the product or its positive brand image - which colours our perception of it.

Nevertheless - thoroughly recommended for gift ideas

Braun Satin Hair 7 BR170 Iontec Brush
Braun Satin Hair 7 BR170 Iontec Brush
Offered by ilikebargain UK
Price: 33.99

4.0 out of 5 stars removes static, 28 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This brush is a real favourite with one of my children in that it seems to make the whole brushing process smoother and less antagonistic.

Not sure why - but it is clear that by removing excessive static it stops hair from getting fuzzy.

The other thing - and again - is this a subjective experience - it seems to make brushing easier. So the morning rush seems to have got slightly less painful with fewer tears.

You judge. I think there's something here but can't tell you why.

Lyrical Ballads: 1798 and 1802 (Oxford World's Classics)
Lyrical Ballads: 1798 and 1802 (Oxford World's Classics)
by William Wordsworth
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Introducing the Romantics, 21 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My 10 year is a fan of Carole Ann Duffy and I thought this would be a good introduction to the English Romantics.

And it is. Go to the real familiar ones and let your children read them or read them....the imagery is infectious and he mood deeply familiar and full of nature.

Thoroughly recommended.

Demanding the Impossible
Demanding the Impossible
by Slavoj Zizek
Price: 11.95

3.0 out of 5 stars The law of Diminishing Returns, 21 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For those of us who access Zizek mainly through his writing this is an interesting possibility of a book. Is it a good summa of Zizek's thought, something that is sharp and incisive that gives you a flavour of his recent thought? Or is it fairly empty and lacking in the richness of Zizek's own books?

More of the latter I'm afraid. After the disappointing Less Than Nothing - a rambling, inchoate typical middle-quality Zizek book - this shorter book is even worse. Go back to his early writings. I think he has no solution, or his obsession with the need for new masters seems to recycle a standard Lacanoan cliche.

What Can You Spot in Winnie's World? (Winnie the Witch)
What Can You Spot in Winnie's World? (Winnie the Witch)
by Valerie Thomas
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars My 7 year old loves this, 21 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The artwork of Korky Paul is magnificent. In a recent conversation with my 7 year old she remarked how amazing his drawings are. Valerie Thomas is a brilliant writer and you don't get her brilliant prose - which my daughter loves to read.

Nevertheless she really enjoys going through the book. It's a bit like 'Where's Wally' but much much better

The Triumph of Religion
The Triumph of Religion
by Jacques Lacan
Price: 13.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Brief not that helpful to understanding Lacan, 21 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This series attempts to make Lacan accessible but the problem is that the choice of texts is misleading. Lacan's relationship changed throughout his life and the complexity of religion and its relation to Lacanian Psychoanalytical thought is hazy at best and damning at worst. An inheritor of Marx, Freud and Nietzsche would struggle with religion.

Even though the book is short I would avoid it and go to Zizek's introduction to Lacan 'How to read Lacan'.

Cinema
Cinema
by Alain Badiou
Price: 17.99

2.0 out of 5 stars fragments without a purpose, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Cinema (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a fan, rather ambivalent fan I should add, of Alain Badiou.

I think his theorising fails dramatically to provide the intellectual arsenal to take on Capitalism - and actually does more to support Capitalist Logic based as it is on a numeric ontology - yet I still find his thought and mis-use of set theory stimulating.

The problem with Badiou is that his conceptual edifice of mathematics = ontology is essentially the ontological truth of Capitalism. He thinks he was stumbled into an insight, a deeper truth, but actually he has uncovered the internal logic of Late Capitalist thought. For the Capitalist the underwriter to its venture is a number based reality - numbers are more real than people.

So I would have hoped his musings on this cinema to actually broken free - but no. It is tiresome and tedious and unimaginative and sounds like a supercharged academic just waffling pointlessly on a number of films.

He had his moment and I think it has passed. This demonstrates that.

The mathematics we need is non-numeric and actually linked to religion. Such an impossibility is the real foundation of a framework that will usurp the global dominance of capitalism.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20