Profile for ping > Reviews

Content by ping

ping

Cold Killing (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 1)
Cold Killing (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite pacy, shame about the ending., 4 July 2015
I enjoyed the book for the most part, it kept up a good pace but then .....

The ending was unnecessarily convoluted - maybe I missed something but I couldn't be bothered to go back to check. OK leave space for the next book but it seemed as though the author wasn't sure how to end it so he threw in a few red herrings in order to make you buy the next one to see what happens. Sorry, but I don't care. To me the endings of books are the most important part, if I read a review that says 'shame about the ending/ending rather rushed' it stops me even considering it. It was a disappointment after what was a pretty good read up to that point.

Heads Off (A Lisa Becker Mystery Book 1)
Heads Off (A Lisa Becker Mystery Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly translated, badly edited, 15 Aug. 2013
As there are only 4 reviews at the moment and they are all 5 star I want to deter anyone from buying this book if you care about the english language, hate spelling and grammar mistakes and non-existent proof-reading. The story line is not strong enough to ignore all the above.

If, however, you are obsessed with large breasts, cute butts and headless murder victims who wonder why their heads are separated from their bodies and 'where did all the blood come from' then you might enjoy it, I didn't. It's not helped by the fact that there are a lot of german words left in the translation which jar the flow of the story.

Still, you get what you pay for but it's not worth any more, should be free really.

TheDetective's Daughter
TheDetective's Daughter

2.0 out of 5 stars A turgid book, 11 Aug. 2013
I really struggled with this book and only bought it because it had been sitting on the best seller list for so long - a mistake. It's full of dreary scenery, dreary characters with problems, padded out with too much information about cleaning products, etc. (seriously), and lots of pointless information. I never did work out what was important about the A-Z but, as I skipped large chunks because it was so tedious I probably missed a crucial clue, but I'm sure it wouldn't have made the book any more interesting.

I used to live near Hammersmith Bridge and there was much more to the area than mud and traffic, not that you'd know from this book. The obsession with the tide line is disproportionate to the story, as is so much of the detail.

I nearly always finish books so I did persevere but that's about it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2014 11:45 AM GMT

Library of the Dead (Will Piper Book 1)
Library of the Dead (Will Piper Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Something different, 11 Aug. 2013
I enjoyed this book, I agree about the need for a better editor but, ignoring that, it rattles along and the actual concept is quite fascinating and scary, if it could be real! The trouble is that it's set in the US with an american slant which I often find rather naive and don't always agree with the way the characters are developed.
However, I've read a lot worse believe me so I'm giving it 4 stars as it kept me interested right up to the end.

Nameless
Nameless

2.0 out of 5 stars Impossible, 20 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
The first half of this book kept my attention, although somewhat far-fetched, but after that it was really repetitive, certainly not 'riveting'. I agree with the comment that it needed a good editor to tighten things up as the second half was pretty predictable and the ending was the classic - now we can have a sequel! Some of the research detail was impressive but didn't sit happily with the actual character who started life in such a bizarre way that it is impossible to believe he then went on to gain all the knowledge credited to him, from computer hacking to survival in freezing temperatures, etc. OK for a cheap read but not worth 5 stars.

Ring Automotive RAC610 Analogue Compressor 12 V
Ring Automotive RAC610 Analogue Compressor 12 V

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 19 Feb. 2013
I only wanted a compressor for the tyre on my wheelbarrow which always seemed flat whenever I went to use it. I'm on my third tyre so decided to get a compressor and this is good value, does the job and lives in the boot of my car in case I need it for something more serious.

On The Up - Complete Collection Box Set [DVD]
On The Up - Complete Collection Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dennis Waterman

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny in places, 19 Feb. 2013
I hate 'canned' laughter so was initially put off by that. Didn't find it as amusing as other reviews indicated and had to persevere but it did improve as I watched more episodes. Very light entertainment when there's nothing else to watch.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2013 11:16 PM GMT

Raymond Blanc by Anolon Professional Hard Anodised Non-stick French Skillet Frying Pan, 24 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Frying is now a pleasure, 19 Feb. 2013
Does everything that's claimed. Just wipe it out at the end of cooking, no greasy washing up and cooks everything evenly and quickly. Will certainly buy more in this range. Have paid more for a frying pan that didn't last. Good value for money. Every home should have one!

Kenwood SKM100 Traditional Kettle
Kenwood SKM100 Traditional Kettle

5.0 out of 5 stars A great basic product that works perfectly, 18 Mar. 2012
I needed a replacement for my 16 year old stainless steel kettle. This Kenwood is great, boils quickly, not noisy, neat, stylish. Hey, it's only a kettle but it works and, more important, was not expensive. I would highly recommend this model. Delivered quickly too.

Pandora's Box
Pandora's Box

2.0 out of 5 stars A struggle, 19 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Pandora's Box (Kindle Edition)
Having read all the positive reviews I downloaded this book and couldn't wait to read it. I was very disappointed, it was repetitive, I couldn't empathise with any of the characters and, although I finished it, I struggled and didn't really care what happened at the end. Obviously I am in a minority here and I am glad I only paid 0.99p for it, it filled up some time but that was all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2011 11:45 AM BST