Profile for Pamela > Reviews

Anam Cara: Spiritual Wisdom from the Celtic World
Anam Cara: Spiritual Wisdom from the Celtic World
by John O'Donohue

5.0 out of 5 stars Anam Cara, 12 Dec 2013
Invaluable - have lent it, and this reminds me I must reclaim it - or order another copy! The perennial problem of lending books but thank heaven for Amazon.
This is a gem of a book.

David Attenborough's Rise of Animals: Triumph of the Vertebrates [DVD]
David Attenborough's Rise of Animals: Triumph of the Vertebrates [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift to family, 12 Dec 2013
Very much hoping I'll get a chance to see it when they join us after Christmas. Loved what I saw of the series on tv so imagine this will be excellent.

Lectio Divina - the Sacred Art
Lectio Divina - the Sacred Art
by Christine Valters Paintner

5.0 out of 5 stars Lectio Divina, 12 Dec 2013
Have heard the phrase 'Lectio Divina' over the years but never really known how to approach it. This is an excellent guide. I borrowed a copy and after a few pages thought I must buy my own and now use it regularly. Would recommend to anyone wanting to take their 'interior life' seriously. Am currently re-reading Thomas Merton in conjunction with this.

A Concise Encyclopedia of Maori Myth and Legend
A Concise Encyclopedia of Maori Myth and Legend
by Margaret Orbell

4.0 out of 5 stars Maori myth & legend, 12 Dec 2013
Still to dig deeper but good to have a one-volume reference to hand. Looks very promising and looking forward to reading this.

Woodbine Willie: An Unsung Hero of World War One
Woodbine Willie: An Unsung Hero of World War One
by Robert Holman

5.0 out of 5 stars WW1 classic, 12 Dec 2013
Have sent this to son-in-law in the army, about to go off on operations again. We'd been discussing the difficulties of trying to reconcile suffering with a so-called 'loving God' following his harrowing experiences in various theatres of war, particularly Afghanistan. He'd not heard of Studdert Kennedy, being a new generation, so I thought I'd look for something suitable from Woodbine Willie. This is a new edition and pulls together a variety of SK's work and thought. An excellent introduction for him to dig deeper if he wants to read more. Puts him in context too - as we approach the centenaries of WW1.