Profile for Capt. A. N. Other > Reviews

Content by Capt. A. N. Other

Capt. A. N. Other "Non-fanatical fan" (UK)

Plustek 7400 Optic Film Scanner
Plustek 7400 Optic Film Scanner

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly but good if you have patience, 30 Jan. 2012
I've seen a lot of poor reviews for this product. They mainly seem to relate to software installation and compatibility. I was therefore quite worried about buying this.

However, I have been very pleased with the results. Provided that you have good IT knowledge, patience and are prepared to watch the tutorial videos, you can get some great results.

The only reason it gets 4 stars and not 5 is because of this. My program didn't install properly first (it would have been helpful if they told you that certain bits have to be unchecked if you don't have photoshop!), but provided that you are happy to play around, I think this is great.

Star Trek: Insurrection (Special Edition) [DVD] [1998]
Star Trek: Insurrection (Special Edition) [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Patrick Stewart
Offered by WorldCinema

4.0 out of 5 stars Unfairly maligned...., 27 April 2008
I'm currently working my way through all 10 films and I cannot understand why this film has such bad press. I'm no fanatical Trekkie, but having seen and enjoyed a few episodes across all 5 TV series, I decided to invest in the DVDs to see what all the fuss was about.

As the films go, 'Insurrection' is not standard Star Trek fair by a long shot. I probably agree that it definitely has a TV episode feel to it. However, despite not being the best of the series by any means, I felt that the film had a strong plot and a sinister villain, well played by J. Murray Abraham. As ever, Patrick Stewart relishes the opportunity to play the action hero rather than the Shakespearean stage actor.

Star Trek tries, and so often fails, at lighter moments, but I felt that the attempts at humour were not misplaced. Data's character was annoying in 'Generations'; I thought the dialoge between him and the young boy were not misjudged here.

Another strong point were the allusions to the forced removal of people in human history. It has happened so many times in the past, for the so-called greater good of the many (think 'lebensraum'). I thought the scenes with the string of Ba'ku evacuating into the mountains, however unsubtle, were particularly thought-provoking.

Don't expect the visual spectacle of 'First Contact', the well-judged humour of 'The Voyage Home', the character development that took place in Star Trek II-IV, the tense action of 'The Wrath of Kahn', or the darkness of 'The Undiscovered Country'. But expect a fun, easy-going tale that is enjoyable and does not suffer from the awkward moments of which some of the other entries of the series have the misfortune to be part.