Profile for P Gradaus > Reviews

Schottenfreude: German Words for the Human Condition
Schottenfreude: German Words for the Human Condition
by Ben Schott

2.0 out of 5 stars It's all a lie!, 6 Feb. 2014
Sorry to rain on the other viewers' parade! As a German I thought this would be an amusing gift for my (Scottish) husband for Christmas. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that the majority of the words in the book are entirely made up and are not actually used in Germany. Just because you can string German words together and they then make sense, doesn't mean they are 'actual' words of the German language. I mean, I get it, it's funny - but there is some serious misrepresentation going on here Ben Schott!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2014 9:03 AM BST

The Associate
The Associate
by John Grisham

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gripping read from Grisham!, 2 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Associate (Paperback)
Firstly I have to say I disagree with the majority of reviewers and their low scores. I have read most of John Grisham's books and this was yet another gripping read. Yes, the end is a bit open but so what? Just because there is no fully fledged 'happy ending' doesn't make it a bad book.

The book grips the reader from the off and it doesn't stop until the last page (and that goes for all of his books).

If you have never read any of JG's books, then this is as good a book to start with as any. My recommendation would be different but that's my opinion and I am sure everyone else would have a different one. The Firm is by no means his best book.

Anyway - I don't make a habit of giving the plot away so all I will say is - if you like fast-paced books that are impossible to put down and you like legal drama (even though this is less about a specific court case and its procedure) then this will be your cup of tea!

Hope this helps.

A Fair Maiden: A dark novel of suspense
A Fair Maiden: A dark novel of suspense
by Joyce Carol Oates

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully crafted, 2 Feb. 2010
Suzie's 3 stars are indeed mean!

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It doesn't pretend to be a thriller nor does it say it is. Although the pace is by no means slow, it's stready enough to build a picture of the protagonists without losing it's suspense. A subtle suspense but no less exciting.

Joyce Carol Oates has very adeptly captured the mind of a teenage girl when presented with the attention of an older man (even if quite old in this case).

Pharmakon
Pharmakon
by Dirk Wittenborn

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, fresh and fascinating, 14 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Pharmakon (Paperback)
This is a great book! Don't let the other reviews put you off.

If it can be compared to any other author I would have to say John Irving. The storytelling meanders along at a steady pace, engaging, never losing one's attention, painting colourful characters with beautiful prose and humour. I found myself laughing several times.

I can't fault it. It's different, granted, but that's what I like about it.

And as for the criticisms by lower rating reviewers - I have to defend the book here:
It starts off with an introduction by the main character and then goes into the main part which consists of recounting his parents' and subsequently his life up to a point where the character picks up from the beginning closing the loop and concluding the story.

Maybe non-linear stories are a bit more difficult for some...

Hope this helps!