Profile for D. Williams > Reviews

Content by D. Williams

D. Williams "Dave-the-rave" (Northamptonshire, U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Adorable Kids Lion Animal Hat With Pockets In His Paws
Adorable Kids Lion Animal Hat With Pockets In His Paws

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as pictured, but still OK., 3 Feb 2014
My little girl wanted a lion hat with built-in paws for Christmas. She loves it (for keeping warm and dressing up). The arms that attach the paws are a bit long for a seven year old.
Personally I'm not happy with the fact that the one we received doesn't look like the picture. It's less lion and more bear. She doesn't mind but I do.

10 Tupperware Citrus Peelers for Oranges in Blue Color
10 Tupperware Citrus Peelers for Oranges in Blue Color
Offered by US Little Prince
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit over the top but...., 24 Dec 2013
My parents have had two of these tupperware peelers for longer than I can remember. Nothing else comes close for convenience when peeling an orange. This was almost exactly what I needed: a pack of two would have done, but it seemed stupid to pay exactly the same amount for two or ten, so I felt compelled to get ten that I didn't really need.
Also, you shouldn't believe the colour description. My set were all green when they arrived. It doesn't matter to me, but if you were colour coordinating with your kitchen it could be annoying.

PROMOTIONAL PRICE!! 7" RAPID5 ECO TABLET PC - DUAL-CORE CPU - ANDROID 4.2 JELLY BEAN - DUAL CAMERAS - QUAD CORE GPU - USB (RED)
Offered by F5CS LTD
Price: 107.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Yet another faulty one., 15 Dec 2013
Starting with the positive: this is clearly a step up from last year's cheapest tablet (which I also bought for my kids). The screen is clearer and has better contrast (although still only around 10 degree viewing angle) and the dual core processor is in a different league of performance. There is also more memory on board which the kids eat through downloading free games. I'm also impressed by the selection of sockets, including HDMI and a full-size USB port and mini-USB (but no micro-USB: you can't have everything).
On the downside, the cameras are both rubbish, and the rear flash is just an empty hole. No LED or bulb. The main fault was that the second internal memory (called SD card by Android just to confuse everyone) kept triggering a crash, either when I tried to install apps manually or when apps on the main memory store data automatically to the SD card (which Minecraft does).
I expect that this is a rare failure, but it highlights to me yet again just how poor the quality checking is and that you take a big risk every time you chance these cheap imports. I have gone for Zoostorm (a UK company) instead, for only 15 more, and the quality is so much better. I still wouldn't bother for myself, but it's a good option for the kids.
In summary; you may get a perfectly acceptable tablet but you're taking a risk every time, and there are much better options available for the extra price of a decent pub meal.

Origin (UK Import)
Origin (UK Import)

5.0 out of 5 stars The origin of the band!, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Origin (UK Import) (Audio CD)
The previous reviewer seems to be unaware that this album came out in 2000, at least four years before the other tracks he's mentioning, and so it's perhaps unsurprising that they hadn't quite found the rhythm yet (although personally I'm not finding anything missing), but it is still an excellent compilation and a must-have for the completist. Love Amy Lee!!!

Wild Cards: Jokers Wild
Wild Cards: Jokers Wild
by John J. Miller
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable, 1 Dec 2013
First warning - this book is a completely different format to the first, and to be honest I don't like the change. The stories work better separately, not shoehorned together into this mishmash. Vitally important plotlines are mixed in with other stories that are quite frankly irrelevant and dull.
Second problem (much bigger): unfortunately the biggest problem I have with this and all the wild-card books is that the alternative timeline it describes is extremely badly thought through, as a consequence of shifting it's trigger event (the release of the alien virus) to the end of the 1940s instead of the 1980s as originally planned. An alien virus destroys one of the biggest and most important cities in the world; gives people superhuman powers; proves the existence of alien life, and then apparently America goes on to elect exactly the same presidents, film exactly the same movies, produce exactly the same music and go through exactly the same wars (with exactly the same results) as our original timeline!!! It's a complete failure of imagination and I found it jarring every time a cultural reference was made that should not have happened in their world.

Born to Run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-Runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
by Christopher McDougall
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly inspirational stuff., 1 Dec 2013
A friend at work who is a great runner lent me this book. When I first started reading I didn't really understand the excitement: it was an entertaining read but hardly likely to change my world. The stuff that most people seem to get inspired by, about running barefoot, didn't matter much to me. What really made this book was the second half, where the author goes into more detail about the anthropology of human evolution to become a species of long-distance runners. It doesn't go into technical details, but gives an amazing insight into how we evolved, and why I feel the urge to run great distances to no immediate benefit. It's literally in our DNA! That blows my mind, and made me buy this copy for my brother who I'm also dragging into ultra-running. I may even have to buy myself another copy for when I need the motivation to get out of the door.

Merrell Men's Mix Master Low Wtpf Black Trainer J39997 9.5 UK
Merrell Men's Mix Master Low Wtpf Black Trainer J39997 9.5 UK
Offered by DMS Sportsworld
Price: 110.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Hoping to build foot strength, 8 Nov 2013
I've only had these shoes since last weekend, so this is only an initial impression. I decided to buy them after being told repeatedly that my soft padded shoes are the cause of my regular injuries. I took them out for a five mile run on Chasewater which is a good mix of trail, gravel track and occasional tarmac.
I found them quite slippery on the tarmac, which I hope will fade as the trail studs wear down and get rougher, but once I was onto the more trail-like surfaces they settled down and gave me a confident foothold. I also semi-deliberately tested the waterproofing (the mud puddle was too big & I gave up trying to get around it) and am pleased to report success. There was a hint of dampness by the end of the run, but compared to the drenching my other shoes provide it was a revelation.
Equally important: although there is far less padding than I'm used to, I suffered no ill effects either during or after the run. Now I just have to see if they prevent injuries in the future.

EasyAcc 12000mAh External battery pack Backup Portable Charger Universal USB Travel Power Bank For Tablets Apple iPad 4 3 2, iPad Mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 7.0, Galaxy Note 10.1, Google Nexus 7 Nexus 10, Acer B1;  for Smart Phones  iPhone 5 4s 4, Samsung  S3 /Galaxy Note 2 , Google Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 920, HTC ONE X, Sony xperia, Blackberry; MP3, MP4, GPS, Camera, Game Player and much more[2 x USB OUTPUT: 2.1A, 1A; White]
EasyAcc 12000mAh External battery pack Backup Portable Charger Universal USB Travel Power Bank For Tablets Apple iPad 4 3 2, iPad Mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 7.0, Galaxy Note 10.1, Google Nexus 7 Nexus 10, Acer B1; for Smart Phones iPhone 5 4s 4, Samsung S3 /Galaxy Note 2 , Google Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 920, HTC ONE X, Sony xperia, Blackberry; MP3, MP4, GPS, Camera, Game Player and much more[2 x USB OUTPUT: 2.1A, 1A; White]

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 28 Mar 2013
When I ordered this item, the picture showed a device with 4 usb ports. What I received was the item now shown with 2 ports. If I had needed all four, I would now be quite annoyed, but since I only need two and the device is otherwise as described I am happy with it. It provided a full weekend of charging for my Galaxy Note, which uses a lot of power, with no need to find a plug socket, and it's actually about the same weight and smaller in size than my phone with case so it's very portable.

Thomson WHP3001BK Wireless Headphones
Thomson WHP3001BK Wireless Headphones
Offered by liGo
Price: 26.50

4.0 out of 5 stars What I needed., 20 Mar 2013
As people have mentioned, there is a hiss when the device sound is turned down and the headphones have to do the amplifying. I've also found that the TV being used makes a difference. Our older TV causes more hiss than our main one.
Importantly though, they do work when correctly set up and allow me to hear my TV even when running on my treadmill. The sound is far richer than the frankly pathetic built-in speakers. I'm not so sure about the surround sound simulation, but that's because I'd prefer the sound to be coming from the same place as the picture! Other than that I'm very happy with my purchase.

Enjoydeal Sport Gym Running Arm Armband Pouch Case for Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 i9220

4.0 out of 5 stars I can finally carry my Note on runs., 10 Jan 2013
Tried several ways to use my Note as a GPS device whilst running, but they all failed. Found this and I have to say I'm mostly impressed. The touch screen still works, and even better the phone fits even with the 5000mah extended battery attached to the back, which means I can have all-day GPS without worries about battery death.
The downsides: the back button is hard to access at the bottom of the screen because it's partially covered by the case surround. For some reason the menu button doesn't have this issue. Also, and more annoying, the material of the back of the case is smooth and slippery, which means it tends to slide down my arm whilst I'm running even though I have it set above my bicep which should be large enough to hold it up (wishful thinking!!). I think a strip of rubber across the back would hold it still a lot better.
On the whole I like it and I'm going to keep using it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4