Profile for A. G. Wallace > Reviews

Content by A. G. Wallace

A. G. Wallace (Cambridgeshire, England.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Told By An Idiot
Told By An Idiot
by Rose Macaulay

5.0 out of 5 stars It is wonderful to have found this book, 8 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Told By An Idiot (Hardcover)
It is wonderful to have found this book, even such an old copy - thank you Amazon.

I enjoyed Rose Macaulay's humour and satirical overview of the period covered a great deal. I am trying to put together a family history at present, and I have found her book a great help in portraying the views and mores of that time - particuarly as I have had several eccesiastical, parochial and literary ancestors of my own.

Dowling Magnets Wonderboard Make a Face
Dowling Magnets Wonderboard Make a Face

5.0 out of 5 stars A very sturdy product - in fact the base is quite heavy ..., 8 Feb. 2016
I bought this for my 4 1/2 year old grandson at Christmas and he wanted to play with it immediately. He was very amused by the different expressions he could make. A very sturdy product - in fact the base is quite heavy which makes it easy to control. I am pretty sure it will outlast other similar toys he has.

C'est Ca Weave Tea Towel, Blue Olive
C'est Ca Weave Tea Towel, Blue Olive

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this tea towel, 8 Feb. 2016
Very pleased with this tea towel. It matches the colours in my daughter's kitchen very well. Prompt delivery - many thanks.

Blue Butcher Stripes Stripe Tea Towels Set 3 pack cotton
Blue Butcher Stripes Stripe Tea Towels Set 3 pack cotton
Offered by Nichol's INC

5.0 out of 5 stars I am delighted with the tea towels, 8 Feb. 2016
Very prompt delivery - many thanks. I am delighted with the tea towels.

Harrison Stripe Cotton Tea Towel
Harrison Stripe Cotton Tea Towel
Offered by Placemats

5.0 out of 5 stars ... these tea-towels and they came promply and I am delighted with them, 8 Feb. 2016
I ordered two of these tea-towels and they came promply and I am delighted with them. I hadn't realisd they had such a large reinforced rings (to hang the towel up by) but that doesn't matter. I just wish my ultra-modern-kitchen had had a place designed in it where I could hang things. Doesn't everyone have tea-towels in their kitchens?

Cherry Go Max 750mg 90 Capsules - High Strength Freeze Dried Montmorency Cherries - UK Manufactured to GMP for Consistent High Quality
Offered by Troo Health Care

5.0 out of 5 stars I had suffered two bad arthritic gouty attacks just before and was determined to ..., 8 Feb. 2016
I sent for two boxes Cherry Go Max 750 90 Capsules on the 30 December 2015 and they were delivered by the 5 February 2016 which was very prompt. I had suffered two bad arthritic gouty attacks just before and was determined to find another way to calm things down other than my usual artritic diet (mostly fish and vegetables) and copious amounts of water - which usually work - eventually.

I began taking the recommended two capsules a day as soon as they arrived and have to admit that I have not had an attack since then. Of course I am only 3/4 of the way through the first of two boxes so it's early days - but I am hopeful. Long may it last! if all goes well I shall be ordering more. The capsules are easy to take and a pretty pink colour - I rather thought they might be cherry red, but heigh ho!

The Paris Architect
The Paris Architect

3.0 out of 5 stars Spoilt by unconvincing dialogue, 24 Nov. 2015
Using the novel as a vehicle in which to demonstrate his interest and architectural knowledge about intriguing, secret hideaways built for Jews in Paris during the German Occupation of WWII, Charles Belfoure succeeded in capturing my interest perfectly.
Unfortunately the storyline was somewhat laboured and jumped around disconcertingly. Also I never quite felt that he was writing in the right time zone: for example on page 316 (Kindle edition) one of the characters suddenly and incongruously refers to Halley’s Comet, last seen by Europeans in 1910, which seemed a very unlikely remark in this wartime story set well over thirty years later. Even nowadays, after 29 years since we last saw it in 1986, Halley’s Comet doesn’t exactly spring to mind as an example of a rare occurrence.
More importantly it is obvious he did no research into how people actually spoke in 1940’s France or similarly in Germany. If he had wanted his dialogue to sound authentic he should have employed an experienced European editor to advise him.
Although overall this tale was well written, but when his characters became angry or impatient American idioms in the dialogue abounded. His choice of American slang and swear words were also used far too frequently and jarred dreadfully. The use of such contemporary American expletives did not sound true to the period, which was a great pity. To give you an inkling of the type of swearwords used, when I included the worst of these in my initial review it was rejected by Amazon for including profane and obscene content!
For me, the author’s lack of attention to detail sadly ruined an otherwise interesting and informative story. His descriptive text was well written and because of this redeeming fact, and despite my general irritation, I finished the book.

The Bridge: - a love affair
The Bridge: - a love affair
by Allan John Organ

5.0 out of 5 stars Life after 'meltdown' with a humerous James Bond touch., 29 Jun. 2015
Really enjoyed this book of life after 'meltdown' with a humerous touch. Looking forward to the sequel.

Thomas Webb Crystal WELLINGTON Goblet Wine Glass 5 1/2"
Thomas Webb Crystal WELLINGTON Goblet Wine Glass 5 1/2"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great service and product., 29 Jun. 2015
Bought this goblet, plus a water glass of the same design, to make up a set of 4. I gave them to my husband on his 71st birthday as we have had these gobletst since we were married in 1967. I was very pleased with the product and the service. Many thanks. If any more come to light please let me know!

Pk3 Ironing Cover Clips
Pk3 Ironing Cover Clips

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad design, 29 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Pk3 Ironing Cover Clips (Home)
These are not a good design as the clips fall apart as you are trying to attach them to the underside of your ironing board cover. I also had to knot the elastic several times to make the tension correct and then, in the end, had to affix the elastic with safety pins. They were incredibly cheap and I should have known you don't get quality for £1.99. Not worth the hassel of sending back as the safety pins will probably last for years.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3