Profile for sb > Reviews

Content by sb

sb (Lancaster)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips GC1020/70 EasySpeed Steam Iron with 70 g Steam Boost, 0.2 Litre, 1800 W, Green

5.0 out of 5 stars A good little iron, very well priced, 14 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ok, so it's not one of those £250 steam generator unit things that are as big as an former soviet state and iron a family of four's clothes in six seconds, but I think this is a pretty good iron none the less, probably more so as it's price is very reasonable for what it does.

The steam boost button is effective - I use it on difficult jeans and it blasts out stubborn creases, especially when used in conjunction with the spray mister function. The whole iron weighs very little, is easy to move about my clothes whilst ironing them and it heats up quite quickly.

They say the water reservoir is small at 200ml, but I can do a couple of pairs of trousers, some tshirts and shirts on one fill so I'm fine with that. It didn't come with a small plastic jug for refilling, but most people have something kicking about to use to fill an iron up with water.

I haven't had to use the de-calc cleaner thing yet, but there are instructions on how to do this and it looks easy enough.

For the price, a very good iron.

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Men's Razor with Flexball Technology
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Men's Razor with Flexball Technology
Offered by Activecare Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Very expensive, but does give a good shave., 8 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It might be against the trend, but I can't award these the full five stars. Reason = massively overpriced and somewhat over hyped. Yes, they give a very close shave, but so do the disposable razors i buy from Aldi at a fraction of the cost, and as close a shave as it is, I still have to shave the next day - for the price i want magic not normality.

However, I do like the flexiball technology as it means I don't have to move my wrist around as much to glide round the contours of my face - the razor head follows those contours very easily as it is on a sort of suspension. Still overpriced though, even if it is a good shave.

Nespresso by KRUPS Pixie Clips Capsule Coffee Machine with Aeroccino, Black/Yellow Neon

1.0 out of 5 stars Arrived broken, 8 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm sorry to say this, but I can't review this product as when it arrived it didn't work. It leaked water, so we rang the manufacturer's helpline. After two hours with a very helpful person on their end of the line (he was helpful, there's no sarcasm here) where my wife and i followed all his instructions about what to check and where each part would be found etc, it was determined that a valve had broken and therefore the machine was bust. So, no sexy coffee for us.

Vidal Sassoon Salonist Permanent Hair Colour - 4/0 Dark Neutral Brown
Vidal Sassoon Salonist Permanent Hair Colour - 4/0 Dark Neutral Brown
Offered by Your247Chemist

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the label, 8 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Shhh, don't tell too many people, but I'm a bloke and I bought this for me! I know a hairdresser who uses Vidal Sassoon dyes on women and speaks highly of them, so I got a brown dye to use in an attempt to cover my grey bits. It worked, and doesn't make me look like a really bad Elvis Presley impersonator. A few people noticed that my hair colour had changed slightly, but I said I'd been outside a lot so it must have been the sun. Also, the instructions were very easy for someone like me to understand who had never applied hair dye before. It smelled a bit, but it is full of chemicals so I'm not too surprised. Also, my hair felt a bit funny the first time i washed it but tit soon went back to feeling normal again.

Did the job for me, five stars.

Igenix IG3204 4 Slice Toaster with Illuminating Blue Lights - Brushed/Polished Stainless Steel
Offered by The Friendly Lifestyle Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toaster, 21 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For £30, I think this is worth spending more than say, a basics range supermarket's own brand. It looks both modern and classic at the same time - I think this is because of the brushed metal effect which gives it a classic look and the laser blue lights which give it a modern look.

It cooks toast fairly quickly, about 3 minutes for golden coloured bread. It passes the "can I toast a hot cross bun in it?" test, is really easy to use as I didn't have to refer to any instructions before use as all the buttons are self explanatory. I like the reheat option, and the defrost option seems to work well so far. The browning controls do their job well - low setting gives hardly toasted bread and the highest setting cooks it very deeply.

The slide out crumb tray is a good idea, meaning that you don't have to unplug the toaster every now and again and shake it over a bin, the tray slides out very easily and is better to carry the crumbs to the bin on.

Would recommend this four slice toaster to those who are serious about their toast and want to splash out a little on a new toaster.

Life in the UK Test - Study and Practice
Life in the UK Test - Study and Practice
by CGP Books

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a good study aid, but may need to check for a more up to date version, 17 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this book out of interest to see how much I know about life in my own country. The huge bulk of it is pretty straight forward for example if you don't know what happened in 1066 then you're either not interested, or American. However, there were one or two obscure questions about poets etc that most UK citizens wouldn't be able to answer, let alone people wishing to gain UK citizenship from a country with their own history and culture.

With that in mind, I would say that some study would be beneficial to anyone looking to sit the test, and this book is quite an easy to understand practice / work book. I can't comment how someone who doesn't have a good grasp of English in the written form would prosper, but I wouldn't say that someone would need an understanding of our language to a massively high level in order to work through the book.

The CD which comes with it contains mock tests which were quite good.

Would suggest that if someone needs this as serious help in preparation for the real test, they look for a more update version. As help towards studying for the test though, I don't think it would do much harm as I daresay that some of the questions will probably be in the question bank.

Revlon Super Lustrous Matte Lipstick - 4.2 g, Really Red
Revlon Super Lustrous Matte Lipstick - 4.2 g, Really Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality lipstick, 16 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I bought this for my wife, so all the points in this review are a result of me asking her about it. It doesn't cake, as some cheaper, lower quality lipsticks can, it stays on well enough during normal day to day use (eating, drinking, kissing me as a thankyou for getting this for her etc!) but comes off easy enough when she removes it with her fancy make up wipes.

She says it has a moisturising effect and hasn't noticed it drying her lips out at all, also that it doesn't feel too greasy when applied. She is happy with the colour, but lipstick shades are quite a personal thing so I won't use that to make any recommendations from.

Overall, it's a good quality lipstick with staying power and worth the money.

Philips InfraCare HP3643 650 W Infrared Lamp Half Body Treatment
Philips InfraCare HP3643 650 W Infrared Lamp Half Body Treatment

5.0 out of 5 stars Soothes my aches and pains, 17 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my feet - I had a cold weather injury a few years ago while I was in Norway (i used to have a job that sent me to places like that) and ever since I struggle with my feet during particulary cold weather. The infrared light warms them up - actually it warms up the blood in them and stimulates circulatipon which is just what they need.

I sit there for fifteen minute bursts and feel better for it afterwards. This winter has been easier to bear when I've had to spend days outside at work because of it. Also, every now and again I get a flare up of an old shoulder injury, a few sessions with the lamp eases my aches and pains and allows me to move freely instead of wincing in case I make the wrong move and hurt the muscles.

The lamp is quite top heavy, but when it's set up it is quite secire so long as I don't move it about too much. It's a bit awkawrd to carry about as all the weight is at the top end. When not in use, I lower the stand so that it isn't as likely to be knocked over if one of my kids bangs into it. When in use, there is a bit of a sensation of heat from the lamp, but not uncomfortably so. i would recommend following the manufacturers instructions about using it - distances etc.

Would recommend for anyone with aches and pains, it certainly eases mine. On a more technical note, I've looked at my electricity meter when its turned on and it does make the dial move around a bit faster but not to the point where I can almost feel the five pound notes being taken out of my pocket, so I wouldn't say that it uses too much electricity.

AmazonBasics Pet Training Pads, Regular, 50-Count
AmazonBasics Pet Training Pads, Regular, 50-Count

5.0 out of 5 stars Like nappies for your floor!, 9 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are excellent. We have two "chalkies" (yorkshire terrier and chihuahua cross, aka "mongrels"!) who are still in the process of being trained. We lay two of these by the back door for their toilet needs. Each pad can take at least two wees before needing to be replaced, and when we lift the pads up the floor underneath isn't wet.

They are very absorbent and lock the moisture in - am starting to sound like a nappy advert now, but I guess they do a similar job!

We roll them up and throw into a carrier bag which goes straight into the outside wheelie bin.

Would quite happily buy these again, five stars.

Monster High Haunted Getting Ghostly Draculaura
Monster High Haunted Getting Ghostly Draculaura

4.0 out of 5 stars Monster High Doll, 9 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my youngest daughter, who is still of an age where she plays with dolls and not online betting with a smart phone. It's based on the Monster High tv series. The doll has pink skin and looks a bit odd, and she comes with a stand made out of bones, the idea being that she's on detention so you can attach her to the stand as a punishment.

The doll's dress is pink, and is draped in chains. There is also a brush that comes with the set for her hair, although my daughter has complained that the hair is difficult to brush.

Overall, it's not bad but there aren't any extra features on it, for example for a scary doll one might expect that the eyes light up in a ghoulish fashion or something like that perhaps. Four stars out of five from me, would recommend for people that have daughters into Monster High.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20