Profile for sb > Reviews

Season to Taste or How to Eat Your Husband
by Natalie Young

2.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, 31 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was left a bit deflated after reading this book. The marriage the main female character is trapped in is tragic, but even so i wouldn't recommend that she killed and ate her husband because of it. Also, the scenes where she butchers the meat are quite sickening.

Not for the faint hearted, if you believe that the world is a nice place then don't read this book.

Stop Drifting, Start Rowing: One Woman's Search for Happiness and Meaning Alone on the Pacific
by Roz Savage

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic adventure story, 22 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you're into reading about adventures on a massive scale, this is a fascinating book. One woman, Roz Savage, rowed across the Pacific Ocean and this book is her account of that epic journey. For me, she's up there with Shackleton and Fiennes. It was interesting to read about how vulnerable she felt whenever she saw a large container ship or tanker, a lot of the time she would row naked and the sense of isolation was intensified when she came within eyesight of such a ship and feared they could see her with no clothes on - very odd and not something most of us could relate to in everday life. I shared her fears that she might be hit in the middle of the night by one of these behemoths as she had a radar tracker thing, but it was a bit unreliable.

Another aspect of the book that I found interesting was the amount of rubbish she came across - it was also part of her adventure's goals to raise awareness about environmental conditions in the sea.

Would recommend to those who are into true life adventure stories on a massive scale, it's great and I think she should have been given a honour from the Queen for her achievements.

skinChemists Bee Venom Moisturiser 50 ml
skinChemists Bee Venom Moisturiser 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good yet expensive, 12 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I decided to get thios after hearing a lot about it from someone I work with and I thought I'd see what the fuss is about. I'm in my mid thirties and getting a bit self conscious about my wrinkles and crow's feet. As a man using what most would consider to be a ladies' product, I think it does it smell a bit too feminine for my liking and there's a hint of floral in there, like an old lady's bar of soap, but also a little bit of zing like citrus or mint which is actually quite refreshing when on the skin.

After nearly a week of use, I noticed that as a moisturiser it is very good, my skin looks great and the usual dry patches I get either side of my nose have disappeared. I make sure to pay attention to my crow's feet and furrowed brow - after a couple of weeks I think the lines there aren't as prominent and I feel better about how my face looks (ie, not as old!).

As for the price, that's the reason I've only given it four stars. I appreciate how hard it must be to harvest venom from bees, but I reckon I'd be happy to buy it for no more than £40 quid as a treat. However, in other terms of value for money, a little does go a long way so it does last a while.

It's making a difference for me, I would recommend to those who want to use a product that actually does reduce wrinkles and are happy to pay £70 for it - it does work.

Puppy Academy: Scout and the Sausage Thief (Puppy Academy 1)
Puppy Academy: Scout and the Sausage Thief (Puppy Academy 1)
by Gill Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Will Scout catch Frank Furter?, 12 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never knowingly bought my kids an Oxfird University Press childrens' book before - to me, OUP means I'm looking for vague and boring references as I write my dissertation which rather puts me off!

This book, "Scout & the sausage thief" is the first book in the Puppy Academy series. The main character is a young German Shepherd pup called Scout, who is learning to be a police dog. She dreams about catching the notorious sausage thief, Frank Furter. At the academy where she goes, the main instructor is called Major Bones, a very strict dog who tells Scout off for being late etc. I won't spoil it for you by saying if Scout ever does catch Frank Furter!

I would recommend this to 6/7 year olds who are into their reading, as it's very simple language and easy to follow therefore not too taxing and off putting and the plot is good enough to hold their interest. There are some plain pencil drawings on almost every page, so I would also recommend as a bed time story for younger children to follow as they are having it read to them.

A good story about a pup, 5 stars from me.

Witchstruck (Tudor Witch 1)
Witchstruck (Tudor Witch 1)
by Victoria Lamb

4.0 out of 5 stars Love struck young witch, 9 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A young witch, Meg, who is maid to a Princess Elizabeth in Tudor England is the main character in the book. I would have thought this would have been enough to capture the interest of my ten year old daughter, but after reading it I would say that the book is aimed at more of a teenage audience, the sort of people who are into Twilight.

Meg is a secret witch as she daren't practice in public due to the fear of being persecuted by Witch Hunters. Her Princess knows about her powers though and goes into the woods with her at night time to practice. Meg manages to stay off the radar of witch hunter Marcus Dent, but one night she is seen by another young girl. Enter a love interest - a Spanish priest arrives at the castle where she and Princess Elizabeth live and she starts to fall in love with him. Will she tell him about her powers? - I wouldn't want to give any spoilers!

Would recommend for teenage girls who are into romantic stories, wuith a bit of witch craft thrown in.

Vie Magnesium Salt Flakes - 400g Jar
Vie Magnesium Salt Flakes - 400g Jar
Offered by Healthcare Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well at calming down my eczema, 7 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Since being a boy, I've had recurring problems with eczema around my groin. I normally use hydrocortisone cream when it flares up which works fine, but I was looking for something different. So far, these magnesium flakes have worked well. The instructions say to use 2 to 3 cups in a bath full of warm water, but to be honest this 400g container would soon disappear if I used that much so I've just been emptying about a cupfull into the water when I use it. It dissolves reasonably well and only leaves a little bit of grit behind in the bottom of the bath. It really has soothed my eczema and calms down the angry red patches, also I've noticed that after a few weeks my skin is starting to heal and the scabs go.

My only complaint is that I could do with a bigger sized tub, will have to have a look around for one. Would recommend to people with dry skin complaints (like eczema) - it certainly works for me.

The Cove
The Cove
by Ron Rash

3.0 out of 5 stars keep a watch on Walter, 1 July 2015
This review is from: The Cove (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mr Rash does build a very easy to see world with his mastery of description and mood setting, it's just that I found it very boring. Can't blame the author for this, it's not my usual kind of book and I took a chance on it.

There's a brother and sister who live in a folorn part of America, where rumour has it bad things have happened to previous inhabitants. Set in WW1 America, it's not full of references to phones and internet - I suppose this was ok as it was different. A brother and sister, Hank and Laurel are building a life for themselves in the cove when one day, they a meet a mute, flute playing stranger called Walter. Keep your eye on him, that's all I'm saying.

Would recommend for someone with an interest about a story about a brother and sister living in war time America - it's well written but not massively my thing.

Philips Style Shaver QS6141/33 Dual Ended Shaver and Beard Trimmer for Wet and Dry Use
Offered by Activecare Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Mr Smart Beard, 1 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a beard trimmer, I think this is top notch. There's a clipper attachment that is quite wide and does large areas of hair, the head is also able to swivel so that fine detail like angled sideburns can be cut in very easily. The height of the clipper attachment is adjustable, there's 10 height settings and I'd say it gives about half an inch variation. On my stubble, it gives a good even trim and keeps it all at the same length. I prefer a tightly cropped length of beard, I'm not into the full grizzly adams look as I'm never off work for more than a month in order to get some real length on it.

The action of the blades on the beard trimmer is very smooth, no nipping or tugging at all so I'd suggest it would be safe to use on more sensitive, intimate areas where hair grows. like the chest for those who are into that kind of thing or the legs for cyclists.

As an electric shaver, it's not the closest shaver I've ever used. My normal electric shaver doesn't leave me with a 5 oclock shadow like this one does, and it struggles to cut some particularly thick hairs I get growing under my chin. It suffices though, it just means that every two or three days I need to have a wet razor shave in order to remove those tough hairs sprouting under my chin. It's easy to clean, and is "intrinsically safe" so can be flushed through under a running tap without damaging it - so long as it's not plugged in at the time.

To charge, it takes about four hours for a full charge. This then lasts me about a week and a half of shaving nearly every day. I think the charging stand is quite flimsy and is easily knocked over, so be careful where you put it whilst on charge.

The main thing that makes this worthwhile buying is the beard trimming options - it's great.

Men Rock Sicilian Lime and Caffeine Awakening Beard Balm
Men Rock Sicilian Lime and Caffeine Awakening Beard Balm

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but luxurious, 29 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For reasons I won't bore you with by explaining, I have to be clean shaven whilst in work. However, when off on leave periods or long weekends I don't shave as it's glorious to give my skin a rest. When I'm on longer leave periods, I get quite a thick, full beard, it's not got the length of a ZZ Top as I'm never off work enough, but think Stannis Baratheon from Game of Thrones. There's always an awkward week or so when it itches like mad, and I've found this balm to help with that and soothe my itching face.

I like the smell, but to be honest I'm struggling to find the lemon scent in there, although it does have a refreshing zing. I've never used a beard balm before, so can't compare it to others. I also think it's too expensive, I would be happy to pay no more than five or six pounds for this. I've also used it when I don't have a beard as it works well as a moisturiser, but I will say that without the beard hair it is a bit greasy on the skin as there's no hair to absorb it.

Overall, it's a pleasant experience to use this and it does smooth my beard out, reduces itching and moisturises my skin a bit too.

Philips GC2086/30 EasySpeed Plus Cordless Steam Iron with Compact Smart Charging Base, 2400 Watt, Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars Great iron, just a little over priced, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The ironing plate doesn’t pick up any muck like some cheaper irons do, and it glides effortlessly over the clothes when in use. The shape of the ironing plate is well thought out – it makes ironing into corners and creases very easy and isn’t an awkward shape.

The iron doesn’t weigh much at all in the hand which makes this easier to move it around my clothes on the board. The water well is easy to fill from a tap and the amount of steam the iron gives off is plenty, I normally keep it on full steam when ironing things like jeans but it can be turned down. There is also a steam boost button which gives an extra shot of steam for stubborn creases. The iron shoots the steam out in a way that makes it useable for vertical ironing on things like curtains.

The spray button works well in that it shoots a mist just infront of the iron onto the clothes without me having to tilt the iron in order to stop it all just spraying off the board. It needs an intial charge when the iron is turned on – this only takes about 30 seconds though. In between ironing, I put the iron back into the charging base plate where it recharges for the next use – this takes seconds and you know when it’s done because the blue light stops flashing. I can easily do a full trouser leg or half of a shirt on one charge before it needs to go back on the base plate.

As good as it is, I would say that £70 is a bit steep – I would be happy to pay around the £50 mark. It feels nice and sturdy when it’s sitting in the base plate and it can be locked into place on this too. The base plate fits nicely on the end of my ironing board and doesn’t feel too heavy in order to make it unstable. I like the fact it doesn’t have a cord, it stops it getting twisted up or accidently ironed over, also it’s good for left handed ironing.

Overall, a very good, easy to use iron, I just think it’s a little overpriced.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20