Profile for sb > Reviews

The Cove
The Cove
by Ron Rash

3.0 out of 5 stars keep a watch on Walter, 1 July 2015
This review is from: The Cove (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mr Rash does build a very easy to see world with his mastery of description and mood setting, it's just that I found it very boring. Can't blame the author for this, it's not my usual kind of book and I took a chance on it.

There's a brother and sister who live in a folorn part of America, where rumour has it bad things have happened to previous inhabitants. Set in WW1 America, it's not full of references to phones and internet - I suppose this was ok as it was different. A brother and sister, Hank and Laurel are building a life for themselves in the cove when one day, they a meet a mute, flute playing stranger called Walter. Keep your eye on him, that's all I'm saying.

Would recommend for someone with an interest about a story about a brother and sister living in war time America - it's well written but not massively my thing.

Philips Style Shaver QS6141/33 Dual Ended Shaver and Beard Trimmer for Wet and Dry Use

4.0 out of 5 stars Mr Smart Beard, 1 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a beard trimmer, I think this is top notch. There's a clipper attachment that is quite wide and does large areas of hair, the head is also able to swivel so that fine detail like angled sideburns can be cut in very easily. The height of the clipper attachment is adjustable, there's 10 height settings and I'd say it gives about half an inch variation. On my stubble, it gives a good even trim and keeps it all at the same length. I prefer a tightly cropped length of beard, I'm not into the full grizzly adams look as I'm never off work for more than a month in order to get some real length on it.

The action of the blades on the beard trimmer is very smooth, no nipping or tugging at all so I'd suggest it would be safe to use on more sensitive, intimate areas where hair grows. like the chest for those who are into that kind of thing or the legs for cyclists.

As an electric shaver, it's not the closest shaver I've ever used. My normal electric shaver doesn't leave me with a 5 oclock shadow like this one does, and it struggles to cut some particularly thick hairs I get growing under my chin. It suffices though, it just means that every two or three days I need to have a wet razor shave in order to remove those tough hairs sprouting under my chin. It's easy to clean, and is "intrinsically safe" so can be flushed through under a running tap without damaging it - so long as it's not plugged in at the time.

To charge, it takes about four hours for a full charge. This then lasts me about a week and a half of shaving nearly every day. I think the charging stand is quite flimsy and is easily knocked over, so be careful where you put it whilst on charge.

The main thing that makes this worthwhile buying is the beard trimming options - it's great.

Men Rock Sicilian Lime and Caffeine Awakening Beard Balm
Men Rock Sicilian Lime and Caffeine Awakening Beard Balm

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but luxurious, 29 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For reasons I won't bore you with by explaining, I have to be clean shaven whilst in work. However, when off on leave periods or long weekends I don't shave as it's glorious to give my skin a rest. When I'm on longer leave periods, I get quite a thick, full beard, it's not got the length of a ZZ Top as I'm never off work enough, but think Stannis Baratheon from Game of Thrones. There's always an awkward week or so when it itches like mad, and I've found this balm to help with that and soothe my itching face.

I like the smell, but to be honest I'm struggling to find the lemon scent in there, although it does have a refreshing zing. I've never used a beard balm before, so can't compare it to others. I also think it's too expensive, I would be happy to pay no more than five or six pounds for this. I've also used it when I don't have a beard as it works well as a moisturiser, but I will say that without the beard hair it is a bit greasy on the skin as there's no hair to absorb it.

Overall, it's a pleasant experience to use this and it does smooth my beard out, reduces itching and moisturises my skin a bit too.

Philips GC2086/30 EasySpeed Plus Cordless Steam Iron with Compact Smart Charging Base, 2400 Watt, Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars Great iron, just a little over priced, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The ironing plate doesn’t pick up any muck like some cheaper irons do, and it glides effortlessly over the clothes when in use. The shape of the ironing plate is well thought out – it makes ironing into corners and creases very easy and isn’t an awkward shape.

The iron doesn’t weigh much at all in the hand which makes this easier to move it around my clothes on the board. The water well is easy to fill from a tap and the amount of steam the iron gives off is plenty, I normally keep it on full steam when ironing things like jeans but it can be turned down. There is also a steam boost button which gives an extra shot of steam for stubborn creases. The iron shoots the steam out in a way that makes it useable for vertical ironing on things like curtains.

The spray button works well in that it shoots a mist just infront of the iron onto the clothes without me having to tilt the iron in order to stop it all just spraying off the board. It needs an intial charge when the iron is turned on – this only takes about 30 seconds though. In between ironing, I put the iron back into the charging base plate where it recharges for the next use – this takes seconds and you know when it’s done because the blue light stops flashing. I can easily do a full trouser leg or half of a shirt on one charge before it needs to go back on the base plate.

As good as it is, I would say that £70 is a bit steep – I would be happy to pay around the £50 mark. It feels nice and sturdy when it’s sitting in the base plate and it can be locked into place on this too. The base plate fits nicely on the end of my ironing board and doesn’t feel too heavy in order to make it unstable. I like the fact it doesn’t have a cord, it stops it getting twisted up or accidently ironed over, also it’s good for left handed ironing.

Overall, a very good, easy to use iron, I just think it’s a little overpriced.

Flirty Dancing
Flirty Dancing
by Jenny McLachlan

3.0 out of 5 stars Billed as a childrens book - more for teenagers, 23 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Flirty Dancing (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my ten year old daughter as it was billed as a childrens' book and she's very into dancing. It's aimed more at teenagers, a lot of it went over my daughter's head.The main character is called Bea, a shy girl who enters a dance competition.

There is a bit of tension as her best friend enters with a girl who Bea has fallen out with, and there's a boy involved instead - I think this is what put my ten year old off, she's still of the opinion that boys are silly, smelly and to be avoided if possible.

Would recommend this for 12-15 year old girls who are into dancing and want a story about a girl that grows in confidence with a romance angle as well.

Carmex Original Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)
Carmex Original Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, worth the money, 22 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My ten year old daughter was keen for me to get this as her favourite teacher uses it and apparently it’s the crème de la crème of lipbalms. I do use lip balms as I work outside quite often, and chapped lips is not just a winter thing for me.

I’d heard about the famous tingle and was keen to see what the fuss is about. It does tingle when applied, but it’s not an uncomfortable feeling and doesn’t last very long. The tube that came in this pack lets out a very thin string of the balm, and the pot is applied with my finger, although curiosly my finger doesn’t tingle, just the lips – it must be something to do with a reaction with my saliva.

It rubs in quite well and it’s not too firm a consistency, although it does leave a greasy residue, but no more or less than other lip balms I’ve used. When I’ve been out in the sun and my lips dry out, I’ve noticed that it does moisten my lips and calms down the dried out flaking that I’m prone to getting. After a couple of days of regular use, my lips go back to normal so it works quite well. I’d say it works better than cheap and cheerful supermarkets’ own brand versions.

You really don’t need a lot when applying, a little goes a long way. I would recommend this to those who want a good quality lip balm that gives something a little extra in the form of the tingle sensation.

NAILS INC Nail Polish, Mayfair Lane
NAILS INC Nail Polish, Mayfair Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars Very strong gel effect nail varnish, 18 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This nail polish was a gift for my wife, so I've asked her a load of questions about it in order to give a usable review. It applies easily and doesn't leave a streaky finish like some cheaper, thinner nail varnishes can. It also applies evenly and the brush is nice and firm which helps to achieve this. The brush is just long enough for my wife's nails, and is of an average width compared to other makes of nail varnish brushes. She puts one stroke down the middle of her nail, then one down either side, and it's from the way she applies her nail varnish that she says the brush is just right.

It smells like most other nail varnishes. A thin coat dries very quickly, when she puts it on thickly it takes ages to dry due to the gel effect - it's quite thick. The gel effect makes it harder and stronger than most other nail varnishes she uses, 2 thin coats applied one after the other will last 4 days without chipping which she assures me is very good.

The pink colour is similar to a baby pink, but perhaps a bit lighter with a bit of ice / frosting thrown in.

Would definitely buy another colour from the same brand.

Sony HT-XT3 Sound Base Speaker
Sony HT-XT3 Sound Base Speaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes it's worth paying out more for quality, 17 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First things first, before I write about the product itself, a quick word on packaging.There is just enough packaging to keep the unit safe whilst in transit, but not too much so that you're surrounded by cardboard and foam once unboxed. It was easy to get into, but a note of caution for when you remove it from the box - it is quite heavy so do it whilst the box is laying flat and be careful where you pull it from as the fascia is detcahable and nearly came off in my hand.

Once plugged in, it connects very quickly via bluetooth to my phone and was very easy to connect. Installation is a very quick process. There are only a few controls on the unit, and they are of the sensitive pad type so there aren't any buttons or nobs sticking out which could easily be broken off. In fact, it is that simple to set up and install I didn't even have to refer to the instructions, but for a more well rounded review I have looked at them and have found them to be easy to understand - you don't need a degree in electronic acoustics in order to understand them should you choose to use them.

The sound is absolutley crystal clear, and as you would expect from a bass speaker of this price, the bass is as clear as a whistle and does not become boomy or distorted even when played at quite a high volume. It is very easy to control the bass levels seperatley as the subwoofers have their own volume control. The sound level generated by this unit would quite easily fill a large room at a party with good quality sound when its full of people making noise.

There is the option to expose the speakers by flipping off the mesh fronted covering panel, they are integral to the unit. I think this looks a bit 1980s, but not in a dated way, think very modern retro 80s look with a contemporary finish. The look of the unit is very crisp, clean and low fuss - the edges are all simple with no fancy bits of cladding and there are no fiddly bits sticking out which could snap off easily when drunken hands try to use the controls - these controls are flush to the unit (the sensitive pads).

The power cable is a decent length and I reckon would give enough length to enable most people with normal sized rooms and power socket configurations the options to move it about a bit to find the perfect place for it. My only complaint about the power cable is that it isn't detachable from the unit for ease of movement.

The remote comes with 2x AAA batteries which are easy to get hold of, it's very straight forward to use, is small, light in the hand and I have been able to understand the controls straight away without having to refer to the instructions.

As I said before, the sound is absolutely crystal clear and I've been hearing things in the music I listen to that I never knew existed - I am glad Ive finally joined modern society and splashed out on one of these. They are expensive, but an investment if you are looking for very high quality sound. My wife wants us to connect this to our tele, but I havent done this yet, we are just using it for music at the moment.

BETA Adult  Shepherds & Setters with Lamb Dry Dog Food, 12 kg
BETA Adult Shepherds & Setters with Lamb Dry Dog Food, 12 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice dry poos and no bad breath, and the dogs like it too, 15 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We use this as a mixer for our normal dog food, which to be honest is usually whatever is cheap in Aldi or B&M. I think overall, the just under £30 we spent on this is money well spent - our dogs look healthy, their coats are nice and shiny and they are full of energy. Also, they never leave any of this food behind in the bowl - it's easy to spot which one is which if you mix foods as these are brown triangular shaped nuggets.

Considering it's full of fish oils, we haven't noticed any unpleasant breath smells, and when it comes out of the other end it's still a nice firm and dry poo, we try to avoid foods that give our girls wet poos. Would recommend this 12kg bag, my dogs seem to benefit from it.

AnySharp Plastic and Stainless Steel 3-in-1 Box Grater, Black
AnySharp Plastic and Stainless Steel 3-in-1 Box Grater, Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Not GRATE, but a good idea, 15 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's a couple of things I'd like to see improved with this grater. Firstly, the collection box is very small and fills up far too quickly. Also, the grating area is small and takes longer to grate something, for example a block of cheese. I was a bit dubious putting it together as it's mainly plastic and felt a bit flimsy, I was worried about cracking the plastic. However, once assembled it felt sturdy enough, although I am finding the different grating attachments a bit tricky to take on and off.

This would be better if it was bigger - the box on the back is a brilliant idea, it's just not big enough.

This grater is best used for very small amounts of grating, like parmesan shavings or a square of chocolate for sprinkling onto a hot chocolate etc.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20