Profile for sb > Reviews

Unknown (Dummies Junior)
by Nick Willoughby

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for youtubers, 21 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an easy to follow book, full of good information that is easy to apply. It was meant mainly for my eldest daughter who has a youtube channel, but to be honest I've learned loads of good tips from it that have helped me to develop my own channel too!

It covers all sorts of topics including how to edit your videos, get the lighting right, change the settings regarding who can or can't see a video you've uploaded, where and how to get free video editing software from and loads more. My daughter's videos have improved in quality since she's been applying some of the skills learned in this book and I have no doubt they will only continue to improve once she starts to apply even more of the good tips it has. We like how there are easy to follow activities to do as you work through the book. 5 stars from me, I think it's money well spent for anyone, not just the children that the book is aimed at who wants to improve the quality of what they create and upload to youtube.

Defenders Eyeball Bird Scarer
Defenders Eyeball Bird Scarer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not effective at scaring birds away from my raspberries and strawberries, 21 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really wanted to like this product, but after having it up for a few weeks now I can see it doesn't have the desired effect. I got it in order to stop blackbirds from stealing the strawberries and raspberries we grow in our back garden, and thought that the theory behind the giant "eyes" would work, tricking birds into thinking that there was a giant predator in my garden that would inflict a violent and bloody death to any winged beastie that dared to steal my soft fruits.

It didn't, and has had no effect whatsoever on preventing birds coming into my garden. The berries are still being pinched, as I've observed many a time when looking through my kitchen door window and watching birds struggling to fly away with enormous strawberries in their mouth. In fact, the big inflatable ball that this product is has a couple of different bird muck smears on it from where visiting birds have sat on the washing line that it hangs from and have decided to show their contempt for my pathetic efforts at scaring them away by pooing onto it.

So, as a bird scarer, it's useless. Instead, use it as a beach ball, it's perfect for that.

Garmin Vivosmart HR+ Regular GPS Fitness Activity Tracker with Smart Notifications and Wrist Based Heart Rate Monitor - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and worth the money, 21 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the second fitness tracker I've owned, and can say that it is well worth the money.

It has a built in pedometer, calorie counter, heart rate monitor and distance tracker which makes for some useful stats when combined as part of a daily exercise programme. The heart rate monitor makes for a far more accurate calories consumed reading than for those trackers that don't have this function, as it actually measures your workload in terms of how fast your heart is beating (which in a very basic way of describing it means how many calories you are burning) as opposed to those trackers without the heart rate monitor that only count steps moved as a form of calorie use. For example, I could be burning calories by lifting light weights for a high amount of repetitions and this tracker would "give" me some calories burned for that as it knows I am using energy due to the raised heart rate, a tracker without a heart rate monitor wouldn't.

When you first get it, it needs connecting to a smart phone app which has to be downloaded. It is easy to set up and you don't really need instructions to do this. It connects to my phone via bluetooth and sends information to a phone based app from where my daily and weekly stats can be viewed and analysed in a bigger format than you can see on the wrist watch display panel. When connected to my phone, text messages and app notifications are displayed on the watch face of the tracker - this is very handy as it means that when I'm out running with my phone in my pocket, all notifications of incoming texts, calls etc are shown and can be read just like looking at the time on a watch. You have the ability to turn notifications on or off if you don't want your wrist buzzing every five minutes when an app or game on your phone tells you that your energy has been refilled etc!

There is also a sleep monitor for letting you know if you've had the right amount of sleep in a 24 hour period - you can enter the time you normally sleep for when setting up the app so that it knows not to expect any activity during this period. Very clever! The phone app that syncs with this has the ability to compare your progress against any friends who also own one of these Garmin trackers, but I don't know anyone else yet who owns one so haven't used this function. There is also the ability to see how long you have spent performing physical activity - both daily and weekly stats and the wrist watch tracker will buzz on your wrist when you reach these goals. You can determine the goals very easily on the phone app - just enter how many steps etc you are aiming to do a day. There is also a built in counter for measuring how many flights of stair's worth of height you have moved, this is quite interesting and adds another dimension to using the tracker as part of a training programme.

This really is worth the money for the way it has helped me to track and monitor my training, and I think it is invaluable for giving me a bit of an incentive to train - the stats don't lie and if I don't train I can't help but notice the "0"s on my wrist when I look at the day's stats!

Think Dog: An Owner's Guide to Canine Psychology
Think Dog: An Owner's Guide to Canine Psychology
by John Fisher

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful and fascinating book, 21 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This isn't the sort of quick reference, can pick up and put down book in the same way that a "for dummies" style book is, it's more of a serious read that fully explains why and how our dogs behave as they do. that said though, please don't be put off by thinking that this means it is a very high brow level, needs a degree to understand it type of book - it's very well written in a way which is easy to understand and digest.

It covers some very interesting topics like how dogs learn, which if we can understand this better we can adapt how we try to teach our dogs to do or not do certain things. There's also some very useful information about subjects like stress in dogs, aggression problems and anxiety problems and how these issues affect our dogs' behaviour.

A fascinating read, can highly recommend to those who want to understand their dog's behaviour better and use that knowledge to develop their relationship with their dog. Five stars from me, thanks for reading!

Salter White Memo Electronic Bathroom Scale
Salter White Memo Electronic Bathroom Scale

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive, 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
these scales are easy to use, and you can change the function between weight and a BMI reading without having to have a degree in computer science - the instructions are easy to follow. You can also change the reading to show either metric or imperial, depending on how you voted in the UK's EU referendum! The arrow on the scales allows you to look at your previous weights to see if you have lost or gained and the memory function allows this to be done for upto eight different users.

I've noticed that I get a different reading on my tiled bathroom floor to that when on my carpeted bedroom floor - the tiled floor gives the more stable and accurate reading. There is a 15 year guarantee with this which is reassuring, and it doesn't feel flimsy or fragile to stand on like some scales I've had in the past did.

Overall, I think these sturdy scales are worth the money due to the fact that the guarantee is a long time, you can track your BMI with them and it has the ability to store upto eight different users' weights. Five stars from me.

Burt's Bees Balms Gift Set
Burt's Bees Balms Gift Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Four very good lip balms, 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this a gift set for my daughters - they chose two each. The vanilla bean stick has a very faint smell and is a moisturising lip balm. The coconut and pear smells like coconut with added sweetness from the pear, and has a hydrating effect so would be good for lips that already cracked.

The pomegranate oil has a replenishing effect and we've noticed that regular use does make my daughter's lips feel better, whilst the vitamin E and peppermint is an ordinary lip balm and does a great job of protecting the lips with a bit of moisturising effect thrown in.

All in all, a nice little gift set but I think one person would take ages to use them all, there's only so much lip care you can do! As they have had a noticeable effect, I think they are well worth the money.

Rapesco Blue Stapling Set with P-830 Hole Punch, Luna Stapler and 5,000 Staples 26/8 mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good set, 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The stapler comes with some staples already in the loading drawer, and a box of 5000 staples in 26/8mm size. The stapler doesn't load like a conventional stapler, so don't try pulling it apart as you will break it! Instead, push the different coloured button on the back end of the stapler and the loading drawer will pop out of the end on a spring. It loads easily enough and isn't fiddly. It staples well and isn't prone to blocking like some cheaper / inferior staplers can do.

The hole puncher is a standard two hole puncher, with a sliding gauge for different paper sizes including A4 S&E, A3 E, B5 S&E, A6S and a couple of more different sizes. I would say that it can cope with about 20 sheets of normal gauge paper. There is also a lock on the handle to keep the punching arm down - this is handy for making it slimline enough to fit in a desk drawer.

Overall, a very good set of basic office essentials, five stars from me.

RHS Miniature Garden Grower: Terrariums & Other Tiny Gardens to Grow Indoors & Out
by Holly Farrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and useful book about growing in small spaces, 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This RHS book is packed full of ideas about gardening in small spaces, whether that is just a pot outside on a high rise flat balcony or a jam jar turned into a terrarium. There's lots of different planting schemes like winter forests, jungles, succulents, even growing a lawn in a box. The different types of plants you can use for the different miniature garden styles are talked about with useful tips scattered throughout the book.

I've been able to take some of the ideas for miniature gardens in the book and transfer them into my back garden, for example growing salad crops vertically - I've really been able to maximise my growing space by using small ideas amplified into a big space.

The book is full of a mixture of photos and drawings that help to get across the descriptions of the different types of mini gardens and how to reconstruct them. A very useful and interesting book, well worth the money if you are considering making some mini gardens. Five stars from me.

BuzzPinky Latex Mini Dress
BuzzPinky Latex Mini Dress

5.0 out of 5 stars Really brings out the shape of the figure, 5 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This figure hugging latex dress is very well shaped for a size 6-8 figure, although I would say it would best for those who are small size 8 as it might be difficult to get into, but once on it will be fine. It takes a little bit of effort to get into, but try using talcum powder as it helps.

it comes in a ziplock bag within a slimline cardboard box, and what we liked about it was the fact that is has nice decoration on the packaging - with words like love within a loveheart shape which doesn't make you feel sordid for buying something that is essentially to look sexy in when wearing - it's quite tasteful. It doesn't smell too strong of rubber like a cra tyre would, it's more of a balloon smell which soon faeds after it's been aired and worn a couple of times.

It gives great bust support, and does wonders for the waistline giving that hourglass look, overall it is very shapely and brings out the curves really well. It's quite short though, so care is needed when choosing what knickers to wear underneath (if any at all!).

I think this is worth the money for someone who likes to wear latex and has the figure to fit into it, it looks great. Five stars from me!

HALTI Retractable Lead, Medium, Purple
HALTI Retractable Lead, Medium, Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, well designed, good quality retractable dog lead, 4 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This light, easy and comfortable to hold retractable dog lead is well worth it's £15.99 price tag. At 5 metres long, it can take a dog weighing upto 20kgs, which is ample for most medium sized dogs.

The lead has a reflective material woven into it for visibility and safety, the clip is on a swivel so that your lead won't get twisted up as your dog weaves in and out of your legs in that annoying way that giddy dogs have! The handle has a thumb operated trigger lock for the retractable lead which is well placed and very easy to use when altering the lead length.

Overall, this is a very sturdy, well designed, good quality retractable dog lead which is well worth the money, five stars from me!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20