Profile for Ruth Goodall > Reviews

Content by Ruth Goodall

Ruth Goodall "Ru2" (Manchester)

Noble Conflict
Noble Conflict
by Malorie Blackman

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read but not an 'easy read', 10 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Noble Conflict (Hardcover)
Having eagerly awaited a new book by Malorie Blackman I was not disappointed. This book has many levels and could simply be read as an exciting futuristic adventure but it is much more than that. It is a thought-provoking read and will appeal to adult readers as well as the Y/A audience. Any book by Malorie is worth reading and this all the more so. I will not spoil anyone's enjoyment of this book by detailing the plot or characters. Read between the lines and make up your own mind.

Patagonia [DVD]
Patagonia [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Rhys
Offered by vivaverve

4.0 out of 5 stars The dvd box says it is in English, 19 July 2011
This review is from: Patagonia [DVD] (DVD)
A beautiful film, which I bought to watch with my dyslexic friend. On the box of the dvd it said the language was English but be warned, it is mainly in Spanish and Welsh, with subtitles. This was no good for my friend eho cannot read them quickly enough. Such a shame! However, a wonderful film nevertheless.

The Shack
The Shack
by William Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 14 May 2008
This review is from: The Shack (Paperback)
I came across this book whilst on another website, read some reviews and information about and decided I would like to check it out for myself.
I was inrigued by the idea of God leaving a message like that and could not imagine how the writer would portray God when Mack got to the shack. I was pleasantly surprised when I realised how God was being 'presented'. How the book progressed and the conversations Mack had with God were very thought provoking, and have given me much to digest. Whilst the book may not have answered any differently the reason for God allowing evil things to happen, it did reinforce the love of God for ALL, both victims and those who commit such crimes. I would recommend this book to anyone who would like to know that God loves them, and is interested in their life.

Blood Pressure
Blood Pressure
by Alan Gibbons

4.0 out of 5 stars Blood Pressure, 16 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Blood Pressure (Paperback)
This book was a well written story of a young man discovering that his cosy suburban world was not in fact quite so safe and dull as he had imagined. Whilst the book deals with a number of issues, it does not dwell in depth on any of them, and the plot follows several weeks in the life of the 15 year old Aidan as he learns that his mother has more of a past than he had realised. The book really takes off when Aidan goes on the run with the father he didn't know he had. The character of Jade was a favourite for me, and I wanted Aidan to treat her better, but the author was right to allow Aidan to be the somewhat spoilt and selfish teenage lad that he was. Hopefully the ending allows for a more mature Aidan to make the right choices. On the whole a really gripping read and up to the normal high standard of Alan Gibbon's books.

Ptolemy's Gate
Ptolemy's Gate
by Jonathan Stroud

5.0 out of 5 stars Ptolemy's Gate, 16 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Ptolemy's Gate (Hardcover)
I found this much anticipated book to be all I wanted it to be. It was good,finally, to see Nathaniel turn into a sometimes decent man! I loved the character Bartimaeus and enjoyed his witticisms no end. Kitty, I think, was my favourite character. Well worth reading, and I wonder if there is to be a sequel?

Daughter
Daughter
by Ishbel Moore
Edition: School & Library Binding

4.0 out of 5 stars moving, 30 Nov. 2005
i found this book to be a very moving account of one teenage girl's life as she struggles to come to terms with the fact that her 40 year old mother has alzheimer's disease. well worth reading even if you have no personal interest in the subject.