Profile for D. G. Reid > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
MEXICAN DISTRESSED WAXED PINE CORNER COMPUTER DESK
MEXICAN DISTRESSED WAXED PINE CORNER COMPUTER DESK

3.0 out of 5 stars Tricky Construction, 13 Jan. 2011
I might have just been unlucky and ended up with a desk where the components hadn't been correctly seated on the drilling rig but I found I had to use my own joinery skills to get this assembled. I'm no dunce when it comes to flat pack assembly and I checked and re-checked the assembly instructions but this desk had holes out of line with the dowel points. Its a substantial piece of furniture with over 70 screws used in fitting, which makes it far more durable than your Ikea, B&Q or MFI offerings. Nice furniture, long and frustrating assembly on this occassion.

Shoot 'em Up [DVD]
Shoot 'em Up [DVD]
Dvd ~ Clive Owen
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Carp.... an anagram not a fish., 4 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Shoot 'em Up [DVD] (DVD)
What Clive Owen was doing in this film is a total mystery to me. Its comic strip story line held my attention for less than 20 minutes.

The level of violence, sexual imagery, lack of plot and fast pace will probably appeal to 'younger' male viewers but if you like a bit of story with your blood and dead lactating mothers, leave this alone.

Black Book [2006] [DVD]
Black Book [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Carice van Houten
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique perspective, 6 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Black Book [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
My wifes comments about this movie might strike a chord with some of you reading this review.

"Oh no, not a foreign language war film" as the opening scene reveals subtitles.

"Brilliant - have a look through the special features " she comments as the credits roll at the end.

There seems to be a common misconception that a foreign film with subtitles will fail to be entertaining.

'Black Book' is an excellent story and shows that in war time the lines drawn between friend and foe can become blurred. Its impossible to hate people you should hate if you experience the humanity within and its equally impossible to love those close to you when they betray your trust.

Well acted and directed and a refreshing viewpoint.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2015 5:40 PM GMT

Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars - Kane Edition (PC DVD)
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars - Kane Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by Excess Gaming

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to back ache and cramp in my knuckles !, 27 Nov. 2007
I'm going to get my two minor gripes out of the way first.

1. I still get confused with the swap from left click to right click for move instructions

2. At a distance the units can be indistinguishable.

Right, now thats done. I've been a C&C fan since the mid nineties and played every game to completion on every campaign. Red Alert Yuri's Revenge was my favourite but now this one has me won over.

Five hour stints, mixing campaign play with skirmish to fine tune tactics, ignoring the wife, kids and meal times " I can't leave it now, its less than 2 mins to a nuclear LAUNCH !!! ....."

Brilliant graphics, gameplay, units and thousands of ways to finish a mission. You don't stop playing football after one game just because the pitch looks the same every week do you. I'll still be playing this game 10 years from now!

Casualties Of War [DVD] [1990]
Casualties Of War [DVD] [1990]
Dvd ~ Michael J. Fox
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Nasty Film, 27 Nov. 2007
Penn was perfectly cast in this movie, unfortunately Marty McFly, sorry Doc Hollywood, sorry Michael J Fox wasn't. For me, Fox is an actor who is able to play aimiable, comic roles well because it doesn't involve much acting on his part.

This is a powerful, gut wrenching story, done a disservice by the casting of a lightweight comedy actor in the lead role.

Tom Hanks moved from comedy (Bachelor Party) to a powerful war story (Saving Private Ryan) and was totally distinguishable in the two roles. Fox was Marty McFly in both Back to the Future and Casualties of War.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2009 9:54 AM GMT

Escape: The Love Story from Whirlwind
Escape: The Love Story from Whirlwind

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 14 Mar. 2007
I struggled with this book the first time I read it ( under the name Whirlwind), which was a suprise to me as Clavell is my favourite author. I found it difficult to engage with either the characters or the tale. I came back to this book after 9/11, as I remembered that it was a story set during the Islamic revolution. I wanted to know more about a faith that promoted suicide in 'gods service' as a way of getting to paradise.

Under that context I found the book to be very insightful. I enjoyed the interaction between the western pilots and the various 'mullahs' that either helped or hindered their 'escape'.

It just proved to me that irrespective of religious beliefs, humanity is universal and evil a result of a childs reaction to education and environment.

The story is not just about Erikki and Azadeh, other pilots have Iranian wives, others just simply love the country. Its a political thriller, war story, love story and historic record all rolled into one.

Take your time reading it.

Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters
Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters
by Dick Winters

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, 18 Oct. 2006
The story of Easy Company of the American 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment is a fascinating one. Brought to screen in Band of Brothers, this remarkable group of men saw action from D-Day, through the Bulge to being the first allied soldiers to enter Hitlers Eagles Nest. Anyone broadly interested in military history will find the story compelling.

However, Stephen Ambrose told the story in his book "Band of Brothers". HBO in association with Speilberg and Hanks brought it to the screen. Dick Winters memoires do not expand the story to any great degree and if I'm a bit cynical, I would say that its purpose is to exploit the 'franchise'.

This is on no way whatsoever a slight on Dick Winters. His conduct, bravery and leadership was and still is beyond reproach. I just feel that the story has been told.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2012 11:11 PM BST

Whirlwind: The Sixth Novel of the Asian Saga
Whirlwind: The Sixth Novel of the Asian Saga

3.0 out of 5 stars Relevance, 9 Aug. 2005
Given the current discord in the world about the Muslim faith, read this book to gain an insight into why the middle east is as it is and why it reacts as it does to 'infidels'.

TomTom GO 700 In Car GPS Satellite Navigation With European Mapping & Bluetooth
TomTom GO 700 In Car GPS Satellite Navigation With European Mapping & Bluetooth

3.0 out of 5 stars Impressive but a few niggles.., 9 Aug. 2005
The 700 is a great piece of kit. The ability to see the bend in the road, unmarked crossroads and your passage through a set of roundabouts in a busy city half a mile before you hit them, is brilliant. I added the voice of John Cleese via a USB cable linked to my desktop. The addition of a bit of humour to navigation works for me and he is genuinely funny!

However, the damn thing packed in after a week and it also did have a tendancy to lose its satelite link at infuriatingly inconvenient moments ( usually during heavy cloud cover or rain )

I am willing to give it a second chance though, as i don't see an equal offering in this market.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Subsequent to the comments above, I've discovered that the tiny reset button on the base of the unit operates as the 're-boot' button, as switching off and on doesn't clear any faults. I'm still using this in 2007 and its been used to find obscure campsites in France, Rugby clubs in Mid Wales and holiday homes in Florida ( with the addition of a purchased US street map). It is a great piece of kit !

Shogun: The First Novel of the Asian saga: A Novel of Japan
Shogun: The First Novel of the Asian saga: A Novel of Japan

5.0 out of 5 stars Immerse Yourself ..., 10 Dec. 2003
In the 1970's I watched a black and white movie one Sunday afternoon entitled King Rat. The film was o.k. but of bigger relevance was my mum pointing out to me that she had the book. I started it that evening and struggled to put it down. Mr Clavell, I found , was an extremely talented storyteller. From that day I ensured that I read all of the books in the 'Asian Saga'. I didn't read them in chronological order and didn't even get to Shogun until the middle of the 1980's. I found very early on that Shogun had the same grip over me as King Rat and Noble House. The book is huge but you wouldn't wish it shorter by a sentence. In fact I would even go so far as to say that it ends prematurely. The final confrontation between Toranaga and Ishido could have provided content for a couple more chapters and we are left guessing as to Pilot Major Blackthornes future.

This novel has everything, action, intrigue, love, drama and is written so cleverly that you find yourself immersed in the Japanese samurai culture of bushido. Prior to reading Shogun I didn't know a single word of Japanese by the end of the book you are reading and understanding entire sentences !

I have re-read this book a number of times, it is my favourite by far. I even stumped up £30 to buy the 9 hour video box set. Unfortunately the video is a poor substitute as it cannot hope to illustrate the depth of the story in the same way the novel does.

My simple advice would be to buy the book and read it as quickly as time allows. Its an adventure and an education.

Brilliant !