Profile for Helmut Mummenbrauer > Reviews

Content by Helmut Mummenb...

Helmut Mummenbrauer "music addict" (Recklinghausen (Germany))

Page: 1 | 2
Dusty Springfield: Looking Good Isn't Always Easy - A Celebration of an Icon
Dusty Springfield: Looking Good Isn't Always Easy - A Celebration of an Icon
by Paul Howes

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Howes' second book about Dusty: Another great one!, 30 April 2014
'Looking Good Isn't Always Easy' is a slightly and playfully altered line from Dusty Springfield's 1968 hit "Son-Of-A-Preacher Man", just the most suitable and tongue-in-cheek title for this photo biography. Following Paul Howes' "The Complete Dusty Springfield", it's another great one! It's even more amazing!!

The first two pages I happened to look at show Dusty at the 1968 NME Poll Winners Concert. If this was anything to go by, the rest of the book would be marvellous. All in all, it became even better. There are great shots from various photo sessions throughout Dusty's career, many of which haven't been seen before. Then there are many photos from TV and concert appearances - the highlight for me is the array of pictures featuring Dusty at her 1968 Talk of the Town appearance.

I've read a number of biographies about Dusty's life, but this illustrated one is the icing on the cake. Truly wonderful, over 600 photos on more than 400 pages, neatly and tastefully arranged with an artistic approach by a true connoisseur.

I've shown this book to a couple of friends of mine, and though not being Dusty fans, they were all genuinely impressed and took
quite a while to file through this labour of love.

Well done, Paul. With many thanks from an enchanted fan!

Out on a Limb
Out on a Limb
by Shirley MacLaine
Price: 5.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Get a New Direction in Life right Here, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Out on a Limb (Paperback)
This wonderful book was released a mere thirty years ago, but it's as
interesting nowadays as it was then.

Shirley MacLaine took her movie career to a risk when she published
this personal biographic book about her growing spirituality. Included
are her experiences with re-incarnation, channelling and encounters
with a variety of intriguing and path waving personalities.

I read through this book while on holiday in Marocco (1989) in just three
days (nights really) and it changed my life completely. Since then I
made my experiences with my own former incarnations, became a Reiki
master/teacher and learned how to channel. Along the line I wrote a
thank-you letter to Shirley and received an encouraging answer.

To advise people on how to find their own kind of spirituality is
always difficult, as this is such an individual process. But I can
full-heartedly recommend this book any time. After reading it you
can always decide for yourself if you leave it or take it.

In that order. Good Luck!

Metals
Metals
Price: 6.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great! But even better live, 23 May 2012
This review is from: Metals (Audio CD)
The Jools Holland 'Later' TV programmes are repeated constantly here in Germany on a cultural channel,
and so quite recently I happenend to see a part of an October 2011 show.

The moment I tuned in this young lady had started to perform accompanying herself on guitar and
being augmented by a stunning vocal harmony and brass section plus percussion. I was taken
by surprise and got carried away from the start. The song in question was 'Bittersweet Melodies',
the structures and singing reminding me of Joni Mitchell and even a Bacharach-esque 'la la' chorus.

An earlier performance I found on YouTube was 'The Bad In Each Other' - this album's opener -
which has more punch to the extent of a jazz-funk flavour.

Even for these two tracks the album is worth having and the rest of the songs are also standouts.

The only reason that I held back one star from my rating is that I found Feist's TV performance
even better. The live sound is better than on the recordings and clearer for those who are used
to listening with more than two ears - I'm not really sure how many I've got...:-).

If you like the combination of folk, pop and jazz you should go out and buy this album.

Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Penguin Reference)
Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Penguin Reference)
by George Davidson
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal memories, 21 May 2012
Being German and finding it fairly easy to learn the English language - nine years in total - no teacher
ever told me about this amazing book. An English friend of mine gave it to me as a present for my 26th
birthday, some thirty-four years ago. He put a hand-written dedication in it saying "You should never
be short of the right word". As it so often happens, we are not in touch with each other anymore.

And that's what this book is all about - an astonishing array of vocabulary with a cross-over into
six different categories. About every ten years I get hold of the latest edition. I can't live
without it.

Dennis Andrew King - where are you now?

The Beyondness of Things
The Beyondness of Things
Price: 13.25

5.0 out of 5 stars John Barry is here to stay!, 1 Feb 2011
It was on the news, that John Barry passed away last Sunday (30-01-2011).

I became aware of John Barry around 1972/73, when I was in the army. The division's cinema showed all the Bond films up to that date, so I went to see them all. Along the line, I went to see them because of the music. At the time 'You Only Live Twice' became my favourite soundtrack - nowadays it's 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service'.

The highlight of Barry's work is 'The Beyondness Of Things', which isn't a soundtrack and which I would describe as a symphony with twelve movements. A CD with twelve original tracks.

John Barry had the incredible ability to draw out one theme and continue the main melody with an intriguing variety of subtleties and nuances. If you have an ear for music, it makes you feel addicted and you can't let go of it. Above all, there's an amazing deepness getting out at you, even though there's also a kind of simplicity to most of Barry's tunes.

Listen to 'The Heartlands' (track 3) or 'The Day The Earth Fell Silent (track 11),
and you'll find out what I mean. The latter track seems to come to an ending after about four and half minutes and then there's an additional ending theme for another thirty seconds. Absolutely breath-taking in all it's haunting quietness.

Working as a Reiki master/teacher and doing healing sessions with clients, I often use Barry's music in the background to support the healing. He must have been a very spiritual person, deeply connected with a divine reality.

May you rest in peace, John Barry, I'll always love you.

The Imagine Project
The Imagine Project
Price: 6.86

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, and only just that, 7 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Imagine Project (Audio CD)
I thought I might have a go at it and buy it, since Herbie Hancock is a really first-class musician.

Don't get me wrong, the guesting musicians on this project are a stunning assembly:
Jeff Beck, Larry Klein, The Chieftains or Manu Katché, to name just a few.

It's the choice of songs and the various recording places all over the world (London, Paris, Ireland, Brazil, L.A. and then some) that make a distortion of this so-called project. There is no flow on this record whatsoever.

Included is a forgettable version of the Beatles' 'Tomorrow Never Comes' - a more appropiate choice describing the state of affairs might have been 'Here, There, And
Everywhere'.

Okay from the point of perfect performances, but unfortunately forgettable.

Dusty...In Deutschland [DVD]
Dusty...In Deutschland [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dusty Springfield
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Dusty, as you've never seen her before!, 31 July 2010
This review is from: Dusty...In Deutschland [DVD] (DVD)
The release of this DVD is a project by Zone Records, a UK-run company specialising in licensing vintage recordings and TV material. Zone's director, Paul Howes, is the utmost expert concerning everything about Dusty Springfield and is also the author of the book 'The Complete Dusty Springfield', a must for everyone who is a fan or an at least an impressed, or even ardent admirer of Dusty's work.

The DVD shows Dusty in a TV special that was shown in Germany in December 1969
and subsequently was chosen to be an entry for the 1970 Montreux TV festival in
Switzerland.

The programme was produced by a then unknown Dutchman, Bob Rooyens, whose reputation grew immensely with this production and led to further German TV specials, including one featuring Esther Ofarim. As far as I know, this might also see a further DVD release.

Dusty's wide-ranged repertoire is genuinely showcased, concentrating on her albums
1967's 'Where Am I Going' (Come Back To Me/ Sunny), 1968's 'Dusty...Definitely (Ain't No Sun Since You've Been Gone/ Love Power/ I Think It's Going To Rain Today) and 1969's 'Dusty In Memphis' (Just A Little Lovin'/ The Windmills Of Your Mind) plus her international hits 'I Close My Eyes And Count To Ten' and 'Son Of A Preacher Man'.

Rooyens uses a large variety of colour-technique tricks, also using background scenes, setting moods from the Middle Ages as well as the Modern Times typical for the late 1960s. Dusty, of-course, is as brilliant as ever, and she was reportedly impressed by the techniques used and she stated, that she had never been involved in something as progressive as this TV special. Regarding her widely spread reputation for being a perfectionist, this is indeed saying quite a lot!

The show is also perfectly augmented by a guest appearance of the high-class rock group, Procol Harum, of 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' fame.

Furthermore, there is bonus material here showing Dusty's live appearance at the Grand Gala Du Disque in Berlin, March 1969. Another must, as Dusty's performance
is first-class and her voice in top form. Simply great!

Congratulations to Paul Howes for another very worth-while release and for having the patience to successfully obtaining the licences for this DVD issue.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2011 7:26 PM BST

Bassey: The EMI/UA Years: 1959-1979
Bassey: The EMI/UA Years: 1959-1979
Price: 20.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Great box-set re-issue, 2 April 2010
I've always had an eye on this box set when it was first issued.
At the time, it was simply too expensice and even though I
like Shirley Bassey's body of work, I'm not that much of a fan either.

So here's the re-issue of this set at a very reasonable price
and it's worth every Continental cent...:-). Five CDs are real
value for money, even though I would have been even more content
if the fifth CD didn't feature a live performance and would have
featured even more studio recordings.

Still, every worth it's while, so if you like Shirley, go out and buy it.

Careless in Red: The Twelfth Novel in the Best-Selling Inspector Lynley Mystery Series
by Elizabeth George
Price: 6.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Bringing on back Lynley and Havers, 28 Jan 2010
I missed out on 'What Came Before He Shot Her', solely for the reason of Superintendent Thomas Lynley and his associate Detective Sergeant not being directly in the plot. It was quite enough that Lynley's wife had been shot in the previous book. Enough of that - life has to go on.
The book starts with Lynley finding the body of a murdered boy on a Cornwall beach,
when he is out and about trying to find a release from his grief. Right from the start he is reluctantly drawn into the investigation and after the first half of the plot, SD Barbara Havers is sent to Cornwall on loan by the Yard. Thank God she's back!
While it is not as good as my favourite 'Playing For the Ashes', this is yet another good read from Elizabeth George. I just can't understand the considerably low rating by quite a number of the reviewers.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2011 8:12 PM GMT

Beyond Buddhist &..
Beyond Buddhist &..

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done - Tina's a peace of mind, 14 Jan 2010
This review is from: Beyond Buddhist &.. (Audio CD)
I am not a real Tina Turner fan, even though 'River Deep, Mountain High' sent me through the roof in the 1960s. Ever since I've had an interest in what she did.

Tina appeared on a German TV chat show last year with the two singers Dechen Shak-Dagsay and Regula Curti, introducing this new product, that has now appeared on CD.

The CD consists of Christian and Buddhist prayers chanted by Dechen and Regula,
with Tina also chanting three prayers in addition to a couple of messages spoken by her. The overall effect is a very comforting and enhancing one. The music is by far not as monotonous as one might suspect with a project like this. I even like this a lot better than a couple of Enya's CDs and that's saying a lot!

Great to witness that someone legendary like Tina Turner is giving her support and
commitment to this product. Thanks a lot to everyone involved, I'm happy I've got
my copy.