Profile for MR C HEWETSON > Reviews

MR C HEWETSON

Hungarian Rhapsody
Hungarian Rhapsody

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant ground-breaking show, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: Hungarian Rhapsody (Audio CD)
If there was an option to give 9/10 I would have preferred to have done so. It's a great show and, if you're fairly new to Queen, I'd definitely recommend it. Queen were (one of?) the first major rock act to play behind the Iron Curtain and those fortunate enough to be there were given a great performance.

However, if you've already got Live at Wembley '86 then you should be aware that this is not hugely different. Forgive the spelling here, but the only real difference is the inclusion of Tavaszi Svel, a Hungarian folk song that Freddie bravely attempted to sing in Hungarian. Other than that, the show is very similar to Wembley, though the drums in Hammer to Fall contain more fills than usual. Sadly the one thing that would make me want to give 9 rather than 10 is the inclusion of the 1950s covers that Queen performed on the 1986 tour. If it was just one song, in particular Tutti Frutti (which really works live) then I'd be happier. Now I accept that they are included as they were performed on tour, but for me they just take up time. And with their extensive back catalogue I struggle to see the logic for them being performed live. But that's the only negative - the sound quality is good, better than at Rio the year before, and if you haven't already got Wembley 86 then I'd definitely recommend it. Queen were, in my opinion, the greatest live rock act ever, and they were at the peak of their powers here.