Profile for F. Panin > Reviews

Content by F. Panin

F. Panin "FabioStar" (Holland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Ibanez GRGM21GB-BKN Micro Electric Guitar
Ibanez GRGM21GB-BKN Micro Electric Guitar

4.0 out of 5 stars IBANEZ GRGM21GB-YL, 18 Feb 2012
I bought this travel guitar to practice when I am away from home for work (I intend to use it with a VOX Amplug and headphones).
I am very happy about the overall quality and built. It looks like a solid, well built guitar, the overall finish (e.g. thick paint coating) is good.
When I plugged it into my Peavy Vypyr I was impressed by the sound quality of the humbuckers pick up. There is some fret buzz which I believe could be corrected by changing the bridge set up.
The size reduction relative to a normal guitar is sufficient to make it handy for transport and does not compromise the ease of playing, nor the look. On the contrary, the end result is a very comfortable guitar that fits the body well.
One minus point is that I found some light corrosion shade on some of the frets, and dust in some corners - as if the guitar had been stored improperly before final assembly, and a last clean up had been missed.
Also, the finish of the pickguard could be improved: the edges of the various slots and openings for pick ups and pick up selector have been cut roughly.
Finally, pick ups have no cover/ housing so one can see their side through the pickguard (insulating tape).
The guitar comes with a well made travel bag, and a shoulder strap.
Overall, I recommend this travel guitar as it matches the intended purpose, looks good (mine is yellow and black), sounds good, for a low price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2012 3:09 AM GMT

Korg AW-2G Clip-On Chromatic Tuner for Guitar and Stringed Instruments - Black
Korg AW-2G Clip-On Chromatic Tuner for Guitar and Stringed Instruments - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars KORG AW-2G: not the best, 18 Feb 2012
I find that there are several drawbacks in this clip on tuner.

Firstly the display is not very easy to see, unless the light is set to max (it has zero, medium and max intensities, which was not mentioned in the description and discovered by accident).

Secondly the buttons are all on the rear side, therefore difficult to reach (due also to the size of the unit which is very small).

Thirdly the tuning achieved with MIC does not seem to match that achieved with the PIEZO sensor. One wonders which one is right.

Fourthly, the indication is not very stable, nor repetitive. The "needle" takes sometime to activate then jumps in an unrealistic fashion. The overall feeling is that of low accuracy, and one does not know for sure if tuning has been reached.

I also have the Danelectro SNARK, that is free from all these defects (clear display, with colors, stable reading, larger front power on button) and cost ha;f the price. The decision is easy to make.....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2012 12:28 PM BST

Brian Setzer Guitar Techniques [DVD]
Brian Setzer Guitar Techniques [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Trovato

2.0 out of 5 stars Too advanced - for me at least - and too fast, 12 Jan 2012
I found out this is too advanced for me. However, independently from that - which should not be a fair reason for a low rating - the pace of the "lessons" are very fast, too fast maybe. I have similar DVD by Danny Gills, and I find those much better as pace is slower. Here, one is flooded with information: I think even an experienced guitarist will fast reverse and play back many times!

The Tree of Life [DVD]
The Tree of Life [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt

1.0 out of 5 stars The most boring movie of the last 10 years, 8 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Tree of Life [DVD] (DVD)
Attracted by the featured cast (Penn, Pitt) I watched this long movie (more than 2 hours). It is amazing how little one gets from such a long viewing. Basically, nothing relevant to be mentioned happens. I found most irritating the whispering which accompany the pictures as it proves useless in giving any clue whatsoever and is unrelated to the pictures. These are sometime remarkable, but alone do not make a movie. Take for example to the very long inset with images form flowing lava, planets, water streams, blood vessels, and so on and so forth. They are exceptional images and very suggestive but then? nothing more.
Eventually, I would not considering a movie at all. Final note: I could not watch it in one go, as I was too bored, probably if I was in a theatre I would have left.

I'm Still Here [DVD]
I'm Still Here [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joaquin Phoenix

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete failure, 27 Nov 2011
This review is from: I'm Still Here [DVD] (DVD)
I always manage to get to the end of a movie, no matter how bad this may be. This time I did not. This documentary is absolutely irritating, as it seems to be artificially constructed on the so-called "retirement" of JP from acting and shows his attempt to make his "dream" come true: become a rap singer. The whole thing seems to be put up artificially to be able to make this documentary, having everyone talking about JP "retiring" (while in doing so he actually was being filmed in this documentary!! what a joke). JP appears as constantly over excited (the effect of drugs maybe, as shown), unable to get something done as planned (meeting in Europe) or get to any point, and ready to argue with anyone close to him. It includes displays of male genitals which are absolutely pointless, and the end results one may simply feel pity for JP who obviously must have lost his mind (and his health, not to mention the conspicuous beer belly (where is the figure of Johnny Cash gone?). I can just sincerely wish JP good luck in his travel through life - wise up, man!

When You're Strange - A Film About The Doors [DVD]
When You're Strange - A Film About The Doors [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jim Morrison

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant documentary, nicely crafted, 27 Nov 2011
This documentary on the Doors, mainly focussed on J. Morrison, is well crafted and eventually pleasant to see, despite the obvious trip through drug and alcohol that (probably) led to Jim's death. Surely the hard core fans, those who have read books on the Doors, will find flaws and even lacking details. Also, I understand the circumstances of Jim's death is not 100% clear. But if the point of the move is to display the rise and glory of a mythical band of the late 60's - active only for a few years but having so much influence on pop music - it achieved the objectives. Besides, it gives food for thought.

Somewhere [DVD] (2010)
Somewhere [DVD] (2010)
Dvd ~ Stephen Dorff

2.0 out of 5 stars useless, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Somewhere [DVD] (2010) (DVD)
It is difficult not to agree with that reviewer who suspects too much credit is given to this one, on account of whose daughter the director is. I have spent 85' (out of 88 total) wondering what was going on in the main character's (Johnny) mind, eventually he managed to mumble "I am not even a person" - a great quote indeed, that explains everything one has been wondering about: the emptiness of Hollywood movie stars' life, their difficult relations with those closer to them (spouse and kids), the pleasure of occasional sex with the babe next door, and so on. Even the Ferrari seems to let these people down. I think this message could have been conveyed in more meaningful and entertaining way. The souundtrack (including the v12 Ferrari rumble) deserves instead higher marks.

Mammuth [DVD] [2010]
Mammuth [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Gérard Depardieu
Offered by DVD Vault UK

4.0 out of 5 stars undoubtedly original, 15 Oct 2011
This review is from: Mammuth [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
you need courage to display yourself as G Depardieu does here, therefore "chapeux"! A French road movie is by default something out of the ordinary, however here the reason for the trip - which is usually weak in most road movies - makes a lot of sense: to collect evidence to support filing the request for full pension. The overall feeling is rather depressing, because we deal with aging, changes in the world we knew and mean people. However, it is recommednded

The Beaver [DVD]
The Beaver [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mel Gibson
Offered by The Happy Zombie

3.0 out of 5 stars rather depressing, 15 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Beaver [DVD] (DVD)
I do not agree that this movie is "darkly funny" - it is plainly depressing. And that is not because it tells about a depressed man, mind you. The effort placed by Jodie Foster in directing is recognized, as well as that by Mel Gibson in playing. However something seems to be missing, as well as a thread, no matter how loose. To top it up, the ending is even looser. Eventually I was left with a strong feeling of emptiness.

Donkey Punch [DVD] [2008]
Donkey Punch [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Robert Boulter
Offered by streetsahead

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 2 Oct 2011
This review is from: Donkey Punch [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I happily join the host of people who rate this very low as I find this movie useless. I can well imagine the situation described here may happen, and probably it has, but what is the point of making a movie out of it if not for getting acclaim, possibly notoriety and cash some money? The amount of nudity is excessive too, and one wonders if it has been placed there to draw some type of audience.
The same subject could have been handled in so much different manners

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18