Profile for sistokes > Reviews

Content by sistokes

sistokes

Page: 1 | 2
A Treacherous Likeness (Charles Maddox 3)
A Treacherous Likeness (Charles Maddox 3)
by Lynn Shepherd

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thoroughly Enjoyable Historical Read, 5 Mar. 2013
A Treacherous Likeness was my first read of Lynn Shepherd's, proving that this book could be enjoyed as a stand alone novel. Historical novels are not really by read of choice, but I was soon immersed back in time, and could really see, taste and smell the buildings, settings and characters.
The detail in Lynn's writing is superb, and the background work to her books must take an age to compile, but this leads to a delicious mix of excellent characters and numerous twists and turns to keep the pages turning !
I will be lucky enough to meet Lynn later in the year at an event in Birmingham [...] and this novel has really made me want to read more historical work.

Killing Cupid
Killing Cupid
by Mark Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars Thriller with great twists and turns, 25 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Killing Cupid (Paperback)
Louise and Mark have excelled again! A superb thriller, that keeps the reader guessing right until the last chapter. Some brilliant, chilling twists and turns, that result in a real rollercoaster ride of a read. This tale could be adapted easily onto the small screen, and it would be a 'must watch'!

Working Girls (Unabridged)
Working Girls (Unabridged)
Offered by Audible Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Maureen is a star in the making!, 13 Feb. 2013
After picking up the book Working Girls in the local library last year, I was thrilled to bits that it was being made available as a download. Francis Barber was an absolute perfect choice for the narrator of this tale, with just the right tempo and attitude for the story to be engaging, as well as compelling. Maureen's creation, Bev Morriss, is the no nonsense cop who you could easily see on the small screen, and would knock Cracker and Prime Suspect into a cocked hat. I can't wait to see it!

Country Pursuits: Churchminister series 1
Country Pursuits: Churchminister series 1
by Jo Carnegie

5.0 out of 5 stars My first visit to Churchminster won't be my last, 12 Feb. 2013
After finishing all of my books when in hospital recently, a kindly nurse urged me to read her Jo Carnegie offering, informing me that "I won't regret it....." Chick-lit, bonkbusters are not my usual choice of reads, but I agreed to give it a go. Well, I was definately the quietest patient on that ward for that afternoon, aside from the occasional snort of laughter! An incredibly funny, moving, raucous romp around Churchminister, following characters I desperately wanted to meet. This was the life I should have had! I really urge readers of both sexes to read this book, this is a bonkbuster for ALL to enjoy! Onto the next Churchminster romp.......

Palace of Pugin: The Westminster Conspiracy
Palace of Pugin: The Westminster Conspiracy
by Nick Corbett

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning!, 12 Feb. 2013
Nick has written a really stunning book, describing Pugin, his life and his work in such fine detail, that you really feel like you are there with him! Throughout the book you get such an insight into this brilliantly clever man, who's life was so fraught with such misery and pain. I didn't realise just how many buildings Pugin designed, and this read has given me a thirst to visit some of them!

All Fall Down
All Fall Down

5.0 out of 5 stars A chilling thriller that really packs a punch!, 12 Feb. 2013
This review is from: All Fall Down (Kindle Edition)
A real page turner of a thriller. Voss and Edwards are definately the new voices in this genre of writing in my opinion. Well constructed chapters, well written characters and an ace heroine make this book a must-read. Couldn't put it down, and was literally gasping towards the end! I read the book on a flight, where the man opposite me and the flight attendant both coughed in my direction.......this only made the book more chilling for me! I urge people to grab this story with both hands, buckle in, and enjoy the ride!

The Wicked Girls
The Wicked Girls
by Alex Marwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb thriller,a real page turner, 12 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Wicked Girls (Paperback)
A disturbing, yet moving thriller from a brilliant author. Devoured in one sitting, where I was taken into the minds of characters I was glad I didn't know! It really begged the question "Do we really know anyone?....." Cleverly plotted chapters, reaching a dramatic and heart pounding conclusion. This should be commissioned for the small screen! A sure fire viewing hit!

Horse Play: Churchminister series 5
Horse Play: Churchminister series 5
by Jo Carnegie

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best in the Churchminster Series, 11 Feb. 2013
Read all of Jo's Churchminster series, and, although this can be read as a stand alone, once you know the characters from the previous books, it makes for a superb read. Churchminster is definately where you will want to be after this romp! Laugh out loud funny (not so good when reading on a plane!), touching, well written and full of excellent characters.
I have been fortunate enough to have met Jo through a book event in 2012 in Birmingham, and she is just as much fun in person as she is through her writings! I cannot wait to read her next one!

Park Life
Park Life
by Katharine D'Souza

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable local read, 11 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Park Life (Paperback)
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Read on holiday - perfect pool reading, which I couldn't put down! Both Craig and Susan are well written, and loved that the book was set in Birmingham, which is often overlooked in novels. I very much look forward to reading more of Katherine's work in the future.

Beatrice: The Cadbury Heiress Who Gave Away Her Fortune
Beatrice: The Cadbury Heiress Who Gave Away Her Fortune
by Fiona Joseph

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight to the Cadbury dynasty, 11 Feb. 2013
Fiona's knack in moving the reader through her words is blindingly obvious from page one, and doesn't stop until the last word. Incredibly detailed, told with great empathy and compassion towards the characters, Fiona really evokes what it was like to live in Beatrice's world. You can almost smell the cocoa beans! A fantastic, fascinating read, for the lovers of chocolate, historical reads, or a resident of Birmingham. I look forward to seeing this on the small or big screen. Well done Fiona!

Page: 1 | 2