Profile for A. Field > Reviews

La Patisserie des Reves
La Patisserie des Reves
by Philippe Conticini

3.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, stunning photography., 21 May 2014
I really think that you need to be a keen cook before you even think about buying this book.

The translation is lacking, nearly every recipe states that it serves 6-7 people regardless of it's size.

Also a lot of the base recipes (i.e. choux) make more than is required for some of the recipes.

Everything tastes great, but you need to be pretty comfortable in the kitchen. This is not a step-by-step book at all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2014 9:43 AM BST

Patisserie: Mastering the Fundamentals of French Pastry
Patisserie: Mastering the Fundamentals of French Pastry
by Christophe Felder
Price: 17.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing recipes, but some kitchen confidence is needed., 24 Mar 2014
This book has some wonderful recipes and I am slowing trying to make my way through all of the chapters via my blog: [...]

Most of the easy recipes can be attempted by anyone, regardless of their ability and this is what you would expect. However when you make your way to the intermediate and advanced recipes, there are some real problems with the quantities and details in the recipes.

I've had some issues with cakes not stretching to the quantities they should and other recipes where I have had far too much left over. I've also struggled with the size of some of the gateaux recipes. The average size is 40cm x 30cm, I struggled to find tins and cake rings of this size. They also only just fit in my domestic oven and I struggled to fit them in my freezer to chill.

Despite all of these annoyances, this is a great book with some great tips and recipes. My only advice would be that you need to be prepared to do your homework for a lot of these recipes. If anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to help on my blog.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2014 10:00 AM BST

Short and Sweet
Short and Sweet
by Dan Lepard

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any home baker, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Short and Sweet (Hardcover)
I asked for this book for Christmas and already I am on my 4th recipe from it.

The first recipe I tried was the pork pies. These were amazing. They took three days in total as I had to allow for them to chill in the fridge at different stages. The recipe however is simple, broken down into sensible chunks and they turned out looking so authentic, I will definitely make them again. My lunch guests were very impressed.

I have since made the Apple, Walnut and Custard Pudding, the basic white loaf and today I am attempting another one of the bread recipes for a typical sandwich loaf.

I usually don't have much luck with biscuits, but after trying Dan's recipes and having such great results, I'll be trying biscuits next!

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It makes you attempt recipes you wouldn't normally dream of, because you trust them to work and you're not afraid to put the hours in.

Geoducks Are for Lovers
Geoducks Are for Lovers
by Daisy Prescott
Price: 9.18

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous read!, 31 July 2013
Daisy Prescott paints a perfect picture of Whidbey Island and its inhabitants. After reading this book I almost feel as though I've holidayed there.

Maggie and her bunch of friends are fun, complex and loveable. This is a really wonderful book, with a fabulous pace and just the right level of detail.

Topics covered in this book are so easy to relate to, it just draws you in further.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

Morning Glory
Morning Glory
Price: 1.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but satisfying, 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: Morning Glory (Kindle Edition)
This is a wonderful story, it has just the right pace for something of it's length. The relationship between the two characters builds beautifully and comes to fruition at just the right time.

I cannot wait to read Naturally Charlie.

Thank you for writing.

Chudleys Rabbit Royale 15 kg
Chudleys Rabbit Royale 15 kg
Price: 15.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Stanley's food of choice!, 19 Jan 2012
My pet Flemish Giant Stanley absolutely adores this rabbit food. It's the only one he'll eat, which can be a bit annoying.

The bag size is great value and it usually lasts him around 3months so I imagine it would last a smaller rabbit a lot longer.

The food has a great mix of seeds, dandelions (his favourite) and other hard foodstuffs that are brilliant for wearing down his teeth.

Comes highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2012 7:47 PM GMT

Casio F-91WC-8AEF Grey Digital Watch with Resin Strap
Casio F-91WC-8AEF Grey Digital Watch with Resin Strap
Offered by Perfuwatch

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch but not very illuminating!, 19 Jan 2012
I love this watch, it's lightweight and not too fussy. It's great for running where I make use of the stopwatch facility.

The only gripe is that the light on the watch barely illuminates the display when wearing it at night.

Well worth the money though and I would definitely buy another one.

Dualit 72022 Cordless Jug Kettle Chrome with Black Trim
Dualit 72022 Cordless Jug Kettle Chrome with Black Trim

1.0 out of 5 stars Iconic style yet no substance, 23 April 2008
I too fell into the trap of buying a Dualit kettle to match our toaster. Similar story to everyone else here, just under two years and outside of the warranty the water level has cracked and there is always a pool of water on the base plate.
I contacted Dualit and was told the best they could offer me was 25% off of the same kettle again, meaning that I would have to pay 41.25 for a product that they are only willing to support for a year. This seems to be a known fault and there wasn't any admission of this and no offer of a replacement.
Appalling customer service to match an equally appalling product. Please do not buy this kettle a 5 kettle from a leading supermarket would probably last longer!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2009 1:00 PM GMT