Profile for Kindle Customer > Reviews

Guardians of the Galaxy [Blu-ray]
Guardians of the Galaxy [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Chris Pratt

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, 15 Oct. 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy...mini review...

It’s been called the boldest and riskiest move yet by Marvel Studios, with some eagerly anticipating theatrical failure...

But after sitting through 2hrs of awesomeness I can honestly and safely say that Guardians of the Galaxy is a treat for the senses with a brilliant foot-tapping, head-bopping soundtrack and great humour with lots of one-liners.

With a great cast and a wisecracking performance from Chris Pratt as Peter Quill/Star Lord who is clearly equal parts Han Solo and Mal Reynolds.
Among other characters in the film there's Rocket played by Bradley Cooper who is positively brilliant and (dare I say it) probably one of my favourite characters in the movie.

I have to agree with some critics who are calling Guardians of the Galaxy "possibly the best Marvel movie yet".

Personally, I thought the movie was terrific. It's funny, it's sweet, it's exciting, it feels fresh and familiar all at once. it wears its heart on its sleeve, places tongue firmly in cheek, and never once gives up trying to impress us. It's bold to compare this to Star Wars, but the comparison is there.

I won't spoil the plot or tell you what characters from the Marvel-U appear in the movie but what I will say is that it's not a superhero movie. In fact, this is a different type of movie from the Marvel studios, and that's a good thing!

Oh and by the way, there's a scene after the credits although it's not a must see.

Many reviews are saying this is "Star Wars for a new generation" and I'll be honest, I have to agree!
I enjoyed every minute of Guardians and I'm sure will too!

Here's looking forward to Guardians 2 in 2017.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2015 5:39 PM GMT

Destiny (PS4)
Destiny (PS4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Jump on the hype train..., 14 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Destiny (PS4) (Video Game)
Ramblings of a gamer...

Originally I wasn't going to review this game for two reasons.
1) So much has been said about Destiny that I wasn't sure if I could add to it.
And...
2) There's a lot of gamers sticking up for Destiny who'd be willing to chase anybody who says otherwise with a pitchfork and torch!

But here goes...

Destiny...

Six years in the making and with an alleged budget of $500million...how could it go wrong?

Maybe I should've listened to my spider-sense when I was asked in Game whether I'd like to buy the expansion pass for £34.99!!
"Wait, what?? Why am I expected to pay another £35 on top of the £55 I just spent on the game, on the day of release???
Is there something they're not telling me? £35 is a price of some games anyways but this is dlc (downloadable content.) Am I missing something here?"

You see, Destiny was supposed to be the next big thing. After all, it was in the hands of 'Bungie', a very competent developer who had spent years making the game. And they had a ten year plan for this thing.

But then the reviews came out, and most of them have not been good.

Perhaps this is why Activision waited to turn on the multiplayer servers for reviewers AFTER the game launched.
Because if Activision allowed early access to reviewers and if these reviews were released on launch day, no way would Destiny sell more than $325 million worldwide in its first five days.

You see, the truth is...Destiny was overhyped.

There you go, I said it...
This is my personal opinion mind, so anyone who does enjoy the game good for you. But for me? I want to play a game that pulls me into a believable world to explore either on my own or with friends.

As most reviews state, it's very repetitive and there isn't much to do. Sure, the game looks gorgeous and has some great ideas, but the depth isn't there to sustain it. You can only do the same thing over and over so many times before it gets boring.

Now an opinion is a funny thing. Everyone's ok with someone having an opinion as long as it's the same as theirs. And if not, god help you.

Like many others, I genuinely believed that Destiny was going to be a great game that would last like Halo did. We were all wrong.

Here's the thing. I'm puzzled as to why so many people have defended Destiny.
When Aliens-colonial marines came out, every gamer and their nan were disgusted by how bad the game was. From level design to story...from the way it was first shown on its original trailer to the final product.
But Destiny has been defended left and right..."Bungie have got a 10 year plan." they've said. "
Don't worry, it's all going to be in the dlc." They've said.
But what about the main game that was released??

Funny isn't it?

So here's my opinion on the good and the bad.

First up is the good:

- Playing with friends online is a lot of fun.

- Progression early in the game is great.

- The gunplay is also brilliant and very solid. It also feels familiar to the Halo games.

- The music is incredible.

- The sparrow is a lot of fun.

- Graphics are awesome. From the Moon to Venus, the colours are beautiful.

- A ten year plan for the game.

- Production value.

Now for the bad:

- Expansion dlc. I'm sorry but this is disgraceful and insulting. As I said at the beginning, you pay £55 for the game only to find out you have to pay another £35 for the first expansion pass? And on the day of release?
This is unacceptable!! And how many more of these dlc's will we be expected to pay £35 for over 10 years?
Why is this? Word is that they (the developers) have cut out a ton of material from the main game to put into the dlc for you and I to spend a small fortune on.

- And then there's Peter dinklage who plays 'ghost'. He's there to explain all that's going on to you. And he's also there to er...open doors...ahem...while you protect him...
I'll have to be honest, I found dinkleberrys delivery quite dull throughout the game.

- The story. The story is...well, there is no story.
Seriously, nothing made any sense. Apparently, everything you need to know is on the Bungie/Destiny website. But if I need to stop playing the game to read on the internet on what's going on in the game, then perhaps the game has failed in what it's meant to do in the first place? Am I right in saying the background story/lore should enrich the game instead of explaining what's going on??

- Campaign is pants. Yes I know, I know, this is a multiplayer. But it does have a campaign...which's basically pants.

- Mission design is amateurish. Go here...shoot bad guys...go there...shoot more bad guys...deploy ghost (dinklebutt)...scan something...defend against more bad guys...end mission.

- Level design is lazy. Every mission starts in the same spot on that particular planet that you're on.

- The world and its people aren't believable.

- Some random girl who pops up now and again throughout the game's story even though it's never explained who on earth she is!! Or did I miss that?
Oh wait, is that going to be in the dlc?

- No trading between players.

- Spaceships flying are just loading screens. I thought this was meant to be 'next-gen?'

- Only 4 planets!!

- The final mission is insulting.

- The loot (Weapons/armour) is random...and terrible.

- That loot cave! Players found a glitch (there's been others since) where if you stood in a certain place near a cave you'll find wave after wave of bad guys come flooding out. If you shot those bad guys, they'll drop lots of loot.
Here's the thing...if players were given decent enough rewards in the first place they wouldn't feel the need to do this. Spending £55 on a game just to stand in front of a cave isn't exactly a fun time for anyone. Recently Bungie fixed the loot problem...well they said they did, but it was still the same the last I played it.

- Bosses are just bullet sponges. You can spend a couple of hours doing a mission and shooting the bad guys only for them to not drop any loot.
Again with the loot!!
Honestly, we did a strike for around an hour and a half just to be awarded with a pair of freaking gloves(!!!) and some armour that were both a lower level than what we already had!!!

- PVP is unfair. Matching higher level players with lowered level ones is a bad idea. You won't stand a chance against someone who has a one-shot-kill weapon!

- Grinding. Oh my god, the grinding... "Destiny 'really begins' at the level cap of 20" they said...which is something you often hear about massively multiplayer online games like World of Warcraft or DCU-online.
That's all well and good if you like that sort of thing. But then isn't that like saying to someone "you know that show that everyone thinks is rubbish? Well stick with it til around episode 20, then it gets really good!"

Waitaminit...I've got to waste at least 20hrs of my life just to get to the good bit? Who does that??
A lot of gamers from the looks of it.

So there you have it. Despite all the hype, the game has turned out to be a huge disappointment. For me anyways.

It's not a bad game by any means - there are some solid hours of fun in there. But after that it becomes a case of "Is this it? Is this all there is?".

Bungie has a 10 year plan for Destiny and so I hope they improve on the game. And perhaps in a year or two I may go back to it and carry on where I left off. But then again, probably not. For many gamers, myself included, feel that maybe Bungie have dropped the ball on this one.
In the meantime though, I'm trading in my copy while I can still get a decent price for it.

If I was going to score the game, I'd probably give it a 5.5 or a 6 out of 10.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's some gamers outside with pitchforks and torches...
Comment Comments (35) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2015 5:31 PM BST

Max Payne 3 (Xbox 360)
Max Payne 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by TwoRedSevens

3.0 out of 5 stars Max-imum fun or a huge Payne?, 19 May 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
So max payne 3 is finally here.
Like many others i remember & thoroughly enjoyed the first two games so i was really looking forward to this sequel.
Sadly i was dissapointed and underwhelmed.

Firstly,the game looks gorgeous & seems to get better as the game progresses.
Theres also alot of cut scenes & you may find yourself getting bored & skipping them after a while.
In the cut scenes the dialog pop up on the screen which had an effect that was fine at first but becomes kinda annoying after a while.
The game will last you about 10-12 hrs depending on the difficulty & it did seem quite difficult even on medium.
The game is very repetitive with all the shooty shooty,bang bang,but there are collectibles to find.

The problems i found with the game were i felt the controls were too clunky. For a game thats only focus is shooting,it shouldnt be as clunky as this,not to a degree where it makes the game more difficult than it should be,especially from a developer like R*.

Then theres max himself.
The way he runs is too slow. How on earth are you suppose to take someone so seriously when they run like they've just done their business in their trousers?
And how depressing is this guy? The game should come with a warning like "may cause depression & suicide tendencies in the player" or something.
Also i like to care for the character that im playing in a game,but max is about as likeable as a verrucca.

The game also has alot of swearing in (altho mind,some of that actually came from me due to frustration of the game) & theres so much testosterone in the dialog you may feel like doing some flower arranging & braiding someones hair when you complete the game.
Okay,that was a slight exageration.

So is max worth the £40 price tag? Personally i dont think so.
Dont get me wrong,the games ok and should definately be played,especially if you have'nt played 1 & 2 but apart from a few minor things,i dont think it brings anything new to the table,it just seemed too much like the last two games.
Im sure alot of people will say thats the whole point of max payne & maybe they're right. But personally,i think a sequel should bring alot more,it should be an evolution aswell as a revolution & most importantly the game should be fun & i didnt think it was that much fun to be honest,but then thats just me.
Sorry R* but max payne 3 is not up there with the likes of gta4 & red dead.
6.5/10

Star Wars Kinect - Kinect Required (Xbox 360)
Star Wars Kinect - Kinect Required (Xbox 360)
Offered by games.empire

3.0 out of 5 stars A long time ago in a galaxy far,far away..., 21 April 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
...Well actually,it was more like,a few weeks ago in a living room,not far from here...
I got my kinect about 3 weeks before this came out,so i was very excited by the thought of 'being' a 'jedi'. And after all the videos i saw online and the trailer which made this game look awesome,i was ready to get my gold bikini out from the cupboard,whip out my lightsaber & start talking like yoda...
Sadly,i'm afraid the game wasn't as good as i'd hoped.
The main story is...fun...in a way,you play a mute padawan who strangely enough,still had more acting credibility than hayden christenson did when he played annakin skywalker in "Star wars-Episode 2:the kevin & perry years"!
The story was as forgettable as "Episode 1:how i met your mother", & it was about an invasion or something or other,but i got the impression this wasn't about the story but more about the whole jedi experience.
And when i say experience,i'm using the term very loosely.
Yes it was fun for a while to use force powers to lift & throw things,& as for the lightsaber itself? Well,i felt more like i was madly waving about trying to swat a fly than using a jedi weapon.
The on-rails flying sections were jittery & annoying,the speeder bikes were quite good but the duels (in which your character goes head to head with a bad guy in a battle) were i thought, pretty awful.And to be honest the game was very repetitive.
There were other modes other than the main story...

There was a podracing mode,which reminded me of the old N64 game from years ago & it was quite good,except for when you raise your arms to activate repair bots & in the process forget about the steering!!

The rancor mode was kinda fun.

The duels of fate mode was the same as the duels in the main story & was about as much fun as having to give jabba the hutt a bed bath.

Finally we come to the dance mode. For some this was the best part of the game...really? I haven't played the dance games this is based on,and i'm sure they're alot of fun but...in star wars? Seeing Han solo gyrating to going solo was wronger than a wrong thing from wrongs-ville,but strangely it captured your moves more so than the story mode which was a shame.

Oh,and the main story lasted about 5hrs maybe(?)
I picked out a few levels to replay after i finished the game,but got bored after a while and decided to go shoot womp-rats instead.

So,is the force strong with this game or is it a pile of bantha fodder?
Does it make you want to put your pet dog in the passenger seat of your car while you say 'laugh it up fuzzball' or do you feel like you've just taken out insurance on the death star by someone who sounds like james earl jones with asthma?

Personally i feel this is really aimed at the younger audience which i'm sure for many,will love.
If you're a fan like myself (particularly of the original trilogy) i would suggest rent first. Fun in parts with lots of variety,but on the whole not worthy of the price tag.

Saints Row: The Third - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Saints Row: The Third - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars Saints Row: Third times a charm.., 19 Nov. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
To be honest,i didnt like the first Saints Row & with the second game i only did a few missions,got bored & traded,but the third is alot of fun. Ive read elsewhere that this is S.R-2,only with better graphics but as i said before i never completed that so i couldnt comment.One of the things thats always put me off the other games was the over-use of swearing,this wasnt as bad (that i noticed anyway).
The missions can be way over the top but i think thats whats so great about S.R-3,particularly the second mission.
So instead of going into detail,ill get to what i think...
The good points-
Graphics are alot better
The missions can be alot of fun
The hover-bike...very cool
Lots to collect
Tons of side missions to do
The 'take-downs' are great
The bad-
The storys abit pants
1 or 2 missions can be frustrating
And finally...
The professor genki ed. Why make it download? From what i can remember,the second games special ed. came with a flying saucer & a bike but you were able to put the number in on the in-game phone to get that,why go to all the trouble to make genki download,once again those of us who dont play online go empty handed.Thats why i gave the game 4 stars!
Other than that i think the games well worth a purchase
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2011 7:40 PM GMT

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Super-bargains

3.0 out of 5 stars Modern Warfare...R.I.P! Or as i like to call it,Call of Doodie!, 12 Nov. 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Oh dear,the game franchise that's aimed at adults with its 18-cert' but seems to be (mostly) played by 10-15 yr olds
has perhaps finally run out of steam...
I know,that's probably a tad unfair!
So by the title of my review you've probably guessed that i didnt enjoy it much.Its not bad,i just didnt feel that it was up there with MW1 or MW2.MW2 felt more like a michael bay movie but it was still better than this.
There are some impressive moments in the game,the graphics are pretty good & so is the sound but the gameplay i felt is wearing abit thin. I wont go into detail & spoil it for those who haven't played it but want to,but it ties up loose ends from the first & second game.
Its strange but the game has been getting 9's across the board,maybe that's mostly for the multiplayer which i didnt play?
The thing about this game that i did like is the advert that's been on tv that has 2 guys playing it for real. Lol
And the price-tag it has in most places (£44.99) is way overpriced. Especially with gameplay that lasts about 6hrs! Luckily i got mine in sainsburys for £28.99,traded it the following day & got £28!
So if youre interested maybe rent first?
Hopefully the developers will do something fresh with it next year & the following,but then saying that,its such a huge hit maybe they think they dont need to?

inFAMOUS 2 (PS3)
inFAMOUS 2 (PS3)
Offered by Gameseek

4.0 out of 5 stars Infamously better than the first..but..., 26 Sept. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: inFAMOUS 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
So inFAMOUS-2 is finally released & like many others i enjoyed the first game & was really looking forward to the sequel..however,personally i felt in some ways it was very 'samey' as number-1.
Dont get me wrong,i think its so much better than inFAMOUS-1,in fact,if there wasnt a first game then this would've been amazing but,it was too similar,it had too much of a 'done that before' feeling.
Ok,the story is a continuation of inFAMOUS-1 & you already have powers at the beginning of the game,but as you progress through the story you open up more powers that're very cool.
The graphics are beautiful & look so much better than in-1,
Theres more things to collect,lots of a side missions & cool bosses to fight,with an interesting story to go along with it.
You can decide whether to be good or bad,i played the good guy,but as everyone knows its alot more fun to go all vader on people!
The problems i felt were as i said before,it felt too samey,the city itself,altho pretty big & different from the last,still looked very similar,and altho cole looks better than he did in the first game,he still looks like a typical videogame character.
Im sure ill offend a few people out there & i apologise.
Hopefully inFAMOUS-3 will be better

Dead Island (Xbox 360)
Dead Island (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dead but not loving it..., 23 Sept. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
23 hours then it went pear shaped!
Yep,23 hours & 82% complete then i thought,i cant believe i wasted all that time...
So,Dead island...
Creepy,atmospheric,jumpy,very cool!!
Lots of collectibles to find,yes!!
Weapons to buy & upgrade,woohoo!!
Graphics,very good!
Lots of side quests,sweet!
A variety of zombies to er..kill,take that,splat!!
...and again...take that,again,splat!
...and again...er,take that,again,splat!!..
...and again...wait,theyre respawning? In the same place? Er..ok,lets overlook that...
Weapons that breakdown at an alarming rate..lets overlook that aswell..
more respawning..
Cut scenes that seem to have a large amount of swearing...oh boy..no,no,thats fine...
Characters who say the same things over & over...hmm..seriously?...
even more respawning...
Having to pay crazy amounts of money when your character respawns...for the love of...
Zombies that have a better A.I than the characters that are alive...huh?...
A save system thats automatic & you cant save it yourself..you are kidding?!...
A character who,after is healed you can still hear her coughing,even tho shes not in the room...riiight...
even the respawnings been respawned...
And finally in chapter 14 (i think) you have to protect a voodoo priest (as you both walk thru his village) from a bunch of zombies,however when you die you have to respawn (wow,im surprised)but by that time hes dead & you have to restart,but,when you do restart,your weapons dont..your weapons need to be fixed...do you see where im going with this?
After trying 20+ times your weapons are so badly damaged you cant use them!!!
And the fact you cant save seperatly from the auto means youre stuck...and cant reload an earlier save to get better weapons.
Im sure others got thru that stage,if so,good for you!
A game with many issues that i was willing to overlook because it was very enjoyable,but sadly too many problems made me give up.
On a plus side,im sure this is very good on multiplay!
maybe...
At first i wouldve given 4 stars for the game but with the problems ive seen its only 2 stars.

El Shaddai - Ascension of the Metatron (Xbox 360)
El Shaddai - Ascension of the Metatron (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars You have never seen a game like this..., 10 Sept. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Sadly with the amount of games coming out at the mo from deus-ex to batman this will probably get overlooked,
but this game has to be played to see how beautiful it is.
Honestly,the graphics are so incredible im sure the developers were on something!
While playing the game the story can be abit confusing,its based on the book of enoch (your character) fighting angels that have fallen to earth & have to be stopped before 'the council' and god decide to wipe them out (humans included) with a flood...
The cons:
As i said,the story can get confusing
the gameplay can be very frustrating at times
The lip synch isnt very good
The pros:
The graphics
Gameplay can be fun
2D side scrolling mixed with 3D fighting/exploration/platforming
The graphics (seriously)
Bike riding like Tron..in fact some bits reminded me of Tron
I know there are more cons & i said graphics twice in the pros but this is a game that has to be played,even if you rent first.
7.5/10
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2011 1:13 AM GMT

Fallout 3 - Game Of The Year Edition (Xbox 360)
Fallout 3 - Game Of The Year Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gamesbuyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fallout-3...Best rpg?, 17 July 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Like many others on here,i have to say this is one of the best games ever! Oblivion with guns many reviews said when it was first released,but is that a bad thing?
Ive been playing this now for about 160+ hours now with only 3 of the 5 expansions completed and still so many other things to do,collect & see!
The music is amazing and at times very eery,the graphics can sometimes stutter but can be lovely to look at.
This could very well be the best rpg,if not then its up there with Oblivion & Morrowind!
Amazing game!!!
And if you do buy,then get the guide aswell because you will need it :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3