Profile for N. A. Russell > Reviews

Content by N. A. Russell

N. A. Russell (South coast, England)

Brit Guide to Orlando 2009
Brit Guide to Orlando 2009
by Simon Veness
Price: 12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have item!, 19 Jan 2009
I bought this guide book (2007 edition) for a 2008 holiday. It did not disappoint, with facts on just about everything! From booking an Orlando holiday to what to do at the airport for the return home.
I used this book more or less every day for facts, figures or just general tips in general. The park section was very informative and so was the eating out section. We did go by a quite of the few recommendations offered in the book and I have to say we would be quite overweight if we carried on!
There was great shopping mall advice too and we did take advantage of the savings coupons that appear to be quite freely available.
All-in-all a superb book...but...it could be made a little better if there was some information regarding some of the villa locations in Kissimmee. A map of where the villa locations are (i.e Lindfields, Windsor Hills, Terre Verde etc)would greatly benefit someone who is planning a holiday. I had to scour the net to find where we would be best placed.
Following our 2008 jaunt, we have booked again for 2009 and no doubt I will have a new version of this book in my case.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
by Mark Haddon
Price: 5.24

2.0 out of 5 stars Language!!, 7 Jan 2009
I bought this book for my 11 year old daughter after reading the reviews and noting that the book had won a Whitbread award. Although the storyline included the ever popular animal/pet content, I was intrigued by the narration being from a child who has Asperger's Syndrome. Having had contact in a School, where I have volunteered as a parent helper, with a child who has this condition I thought it might add a interesting slant to the story.
The problem i have with this book is the foul language coming from a character...the Policeman!
If I had known that my 11 year old would have to read such words in her leisure/bedtime reading I would have had second thought about buying it!
Fair enough if you don't mind the swearing content, but in my opinion, Kids are subjected to such things so soon these days without having to read such words before bed.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2009 10:41 PM BST

Super Boggle
Super Boggle

4.0 out of 5 stars Concentration Please!!, 28 Feb 2005
This review is from: Super Boggle (Toy)
My daughter received this toy/game for Christmas and I can honestly say the adults enjoyed this more than the kids! The unit is much better than the previous version as there are 2 platforms in which the letters sit. The side with more letters are better for the kids as they can spot more words.
A simple shake of the unit to jiggle the letters up activates the battery powered timer...saves the bother of someone watching an egg timer!!
After 3 minutes the unit constantly flashes to inform players that the time is up.
Educationally this is pleasing. It certainly enhances those literature skills especially for children (although not particularly KS1 ages). The unit is fairly compact and not too bulky either therefore it's easily stored away when not in use.
Just be careful not to lose any of the cubed letters!!
8 out of 10.

Bop It Extreme 2
Bop It Extreme 2
Offered by joe4books
Price: 53.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Bopping Fun, 25 Feb 2005
This review is from: Bop It Extreme 2 (Toy)
A wonderful brightly coloured contraption, which doesn't take up too much space in the children's bedroom! Great for improving dexterity,memory, concentration etc and at times, hysteria, when on the "pass it" mode. My 7 and 11 year olds do well with this toy, they are quite contented to play individually and get the best score they can. There are 2 modes "Beat Bop" and "Vox Bop" one of which commands you via a voice and the other in which you are commanded by a sound, both are entertaining although the sound one is more difficult. Ideal for parties...try doing this after a couple of drinks!!
Only gripe is the "High score" of 250 was attainable by my 11 year old after a week or two. Therefore the toy no longer poses a challenge to her.

LeapFrog LeapPad Writing Plus (Blue)
LeapFrog LeapPad Writing Plus (Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Leap Pad- What fun!!, 15 Feb 2005
I bought this item for my less than enthusistic 4 year old hoping it may encourage writing skills. We already had the original Leap Pad for my 7 year old which was well used and loved, but we were so impressed with the technology!!
The "Writing Plus" is so very interactive, it can tell when the pen is still on the page and continues to make little sounds thoroughly entertaining my Son...great for a 4 year old who has little pencil control!!
My 7 year old is even more interested in it. I just wish these were about 30 odd years ago, it would have been great to have such learning equipment when i was younger. Top Marks!!