Profile for April Stuart > Reviews

Content by April Stuart

April Stuart "alynns" (Greater London)

Page: 1 | 2
Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously addictive, 11 Mar 2012
While I have to gigglingly agree with much of Evy's 1 star review, particularly in relation to this being no literary masterpiece and being as far from reality as one can possibly envisage, it is a fun romp. I don't do romance. I don't do erotica. I don't do breathy writing that repeats, "oh my" every third line and heroines that orgasm within 30 seconds 3 times an hour - if you actually took this seriously it would leave you feeling a SERIOUS sexual failure.

HOWEVER, in spite of its writing flaws, this is a weirdly compelling, if graphic, trilogy and Mr Grey, as fantastically odd and screwed up as he is, is a wonderful fantasy figure. I tried to think if he would be as fascinating if he were a bus driver rather than a billionnaire and decided promptly that he definitely wouldn't be! I have read all 3 within a week having grudgingly read a tabloid tale about the author and decided to break the habit of a lifetime and try erotica/romance. It has been fun and I have found myself thinking about Mr Grey driving home from work, for example - something I cannot remember doing with any other fictional character. I would thoroughly recommend this as a fun and bizarrely addictive read.

(While I can't imagine this ever being made into a film that could be widely seen, I could imagine a young Catherine Zeta Jones in the role of Anastasia with a young Alex Skarsgard of True Blood as Mr Grey - although I fear that no male mortal could ever be as "impossibly beautiful" as is our fictional hero). Do read it, Ladies, as I think that if I could get addicted as quickly as I did, anyone could. It's a fun ride.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2012 9:06 AM BST

Splinter
Splinter

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get into it, 15 Dec 2011
This review is from: Splinter (Kindle Edition)
I never give up on books and the main genre I read is crime and thriller. However, this just didn't catch my imagination and I found myself labouring at it each night and only getting through a chapter at a time before it would send me to sleep. Halfway through I realised I was wasting my time and gave up. I just found the whole premise annoying and going around in circles wasn't enticing or intriguing to me in any way. Not for me.

Sugar & Spice
Sugar & Spice

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheesy, gratuitous and unconvincing, 15 Dec 2011
This review is from: Sugar & Spice (Kindle Edition)
I am an avid reader of crime novels and this is the first I have specifically come back to to write a review about because I think it was so poorly written and researched. The scenes in relation to the police and social workers are cringeworthy and entirely lacking in insight or knowledge about procedure. I also felt that the "empathetic" stance to paedophilia was intended to be shocking in some way but again, it was written so poorly that it read as gratuitous, unconvincing and again, cringeworthy. Characters were so LITERAL - black or white and utterly predictable. I thought this was a dreadful novel and the first I've ever given 1* to.

Nina Ottosson Finder Dog Activity Toy
Nina Ottosson Finder Dog Activity Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun even for a dim dog!, 8 Dec 2011
We have two 5 year old Lab littermates - one bright as a button and the other, whilst a gorgeous personality, is a little lacking in the IQ department. The clever one worked it out more quickly than I did, to be frank, but the dim one gave up quickly when brute force didn't work i.e. trying the lift the bones out of the narrow end, rather than sliding them to the wider end. As 2 big dogs they had to take turns because it's mayhem otherwise. We now have a mutually beneficial system of the clever one playing the game on her own and when she lifts and deposits the plastic bones to get the treat underneath, we put a treat into the upturned bone or put one under the bone on the carpet. This gives the dim one a hunt of her own i.e. find the nibble in a pile of discarded bones.

Like the reviewer above, the dim one sometimes thinks the plastic bone IS the treat and they need to be wrestled off her (but they're very solid so quite indestructible) but on the whole, this unconventional version of the game works for us. Takes the clever one about 5 minutes so it's over very quickly. We do it 2 or 3 times with treats only under some of the bones. Would definitely try another version of these games because both dogs have found it absorbing in their own way.

The 4-Hour Body: An uncommon guide to rapid fat-loss, incredible sex and becoming superhuman

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read but not on Kindle, 9 April 2011
I first bought this book on Kindle and found it a faschinating read. However, with all of the charts and pictures and extra blurbs that don't always seem to be accessible on the Kindle version, halfway through the book, I re-ordered it in hard copy from Amazon (first time I've done this since I owned the Kindle). I then ordered another for my biochemist, sports-mad father. So, yes, it's a good book - engorssing science, experiments, diets, exercises, interventions and theories - but I've only given it 4 stars for publishing reasons (I'd give the author 5 for his audacity and brilliance!). The Kindle version doesn't work for what is essentially a reference book but also, I was disappointed that the hard copy (softback) wasn't ring bound or presented in a more reference-friendly binding i.e. the stretching and exercises pages and pictures are useful but trying to prop this book open to copy the exercises would be nigh impossible. Overall, I'd highly recommend but maybe after 3 purchases of it so far, the hardback might be the best in the end.

Crunch Time: Lose Weight Fast and Keep It Off
Crunch Time: Lose Weight Fast and Keep It Off
by Michelle Bridges

5.0 out of 5 stars Fundamentalist but her programme works!, 25 Jan 2011
Michelle Bridges pulls no punches as can be seen in the Aus version of Biggest Loser. This is no literary feat but her typically Aussie, no-nonsense, "it'll go straight to your arse" approach really does work. She doesn't believe in rewarding yourself because you've exercised, for example, but because the effects are so dramatic, so quickly, ultimately this does get you out of the rut of losing a lb a week, then gaining 2 and going and on and on as with other diet and exercise programmes. You need to exercise a lot and you need to cut out junk food and alcohol. This took me from 68kg to 56kg in a few months. While I can see that her hardline approach wouldn't appeal to everyone, her authoritarian, boot camp approach really worked for me. Now, when I slip, I go back to her programme - calories in, calories out - because it makes sense and it works. It's great being able to ignore all the new "amazing" diets that keep coming out now. I'm a convert.

How to Be a Better Foodie
How to Be a Better Foodie
by Sudi Pigott

4.0 out of 5 stars Best toilet book ever!, 19 Oct 2010
This is a slightly pompous but fact-filled book for foodies that makes the most entertaining toilet/bathroom book. Have bought one for foodie friends with that recommendation.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Small cut, 19 Oct 2010
They look great but are cut very small. I am a 5 who wears a 6 running shoe and need a 6.5 in these. Poor husband who bought them for me is gutted as he's had them too long to return them now. Very nice looking shoe though.

REALD REAL D 3D POLARIZED DISNEY DIGITAL CINEMA GLASSES (1 PAIR)
REALD REAL D 3D POLARIZED DISNEY DIGITAL CINEMA GLASSES (1 PAIR)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it!, 2 Jan 2010
Wore these to Avatar and, to be honest, the freebies provided by the cinema provided a clearer 3D picture. Wish I hadn't bothered.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2010 10:30 PM BST

Preserves: River Cottage Handbook No.2
Preserves: River Cottage Handbook No.2
by Pam Corbin

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab little book, 10 Aug 2008
I bought this as a gift for my husband as we are huge River Cottage fans and try to be as self-sufficient as possible. He made a fabulous berry jam out of a pile of berries we foraged for. A week later, a neighbour gave us about 3lbs of plums and he made a divine plum and walnut jam. His next plan is marmalade and chutney. A really, really great little book and one I shall be giving several people for Christmas.

Page: 1 | 2