Profile for M. Arthur > Reviews

Content by M. Arthur

M. Arthur "EagleEye" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Hairy Dieters Eat for Life: How to Love Food, Lose Weight and Keep it Off for Good! (Hairy Bikers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 Sept. 2013
I'm a dreadful cook and I always get fed up with having to buy obscure ingredients that I can't get at aldi!

Anyway, this book is fantastic. My first book from THB's and i've lost 6 pounds since it came out and it keeps dropping!

No charts or calories counting, just simple advice. Like the mindset it gives you - eg, use real sugar and butter - but stick to the smaller portions. (They do seem small if you're a hog like I am but you get used to it after a few days).

Love making lunches, great quick dinners and using ingredients I can get almost anywhere. Fiancee is chuffed with the food and losing weight by default even by sticking to his other eating habits.

Please buy this book, even if you are a bad cook and if you just want to drop a bit of weight - I hated the kitchen but now i'm baking - so proud!

How To Advertise Using Pay Per Click : A Beginner's PPC Guide
How To Advertise Using Pay Per Click : A Beginner's PPC Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars awful english waste of cash, 4 Feb. 2013
vague. jumpy. poor english. no meaty advice. avoid......like the plague. sorry to the author but this needed a proof reader and better structure

Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating
Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating
by Gillian Riley

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic- Scarp the diet book hunt and buy this!, 8 Jan. 2013
I bought a sample of this, and within a minute of finishing it was cracking on to this book. I read it in about a day.

I've now bought her stop smoking book too - evidence that I think she is fantastic!

I won't list all the reasons of how it teaches you to lose weight (well, change your eating - weight loss is a benefit of this)
just buy it. I don't think you will regret it.

x

Only Fat People Skip Breakfast: The Refreshingly Different Diet Book
Only Fat People Skip Breakfast: The Refreshingly Different Diet Book

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Opinions- But Do Buy It!, 21 Dec. 2012
I have recently been informed by a 'friend' that I have let myself go!

Taking a long hard look at myself revealed it was probably true to the tune of 1 - 2 stone.

I needed to sort out myself out, and I wanted a good talking to about how to go about it. I understand basic physics of calorie in- calorie out, and I've done a few of the popular diets with varying success- but I wanted to know some useful information about how to live a LIFESTYLE. Not to diet. (I also recommend 'If not dieting, then what' - although the advice does conflict with this- so pick and choose!)

I got this on sample and then snapped it up.

The tone is like a stern mother, or a very honest friend. Honestly- it's brutal but needed in parts - such as:

Being fat is your fault. Every thing you eat that is 'just a bit of this' has amounted to your weight. You have dedicated time and effort to it. It was certainly a good wake up call.

My only 'niggles' with it are:

- I disagree that you must give up sugar completely- and think that life can be led in balance. I know that giving it up totally would leave me deprived in the lifestyle I, and many other lead where life gets in the way and at least in my mind- I would find it awful to offend someone by refusing a cake they had made me especially or a bit of this or that. You can think 'Well I don't have to and that's their problem! I'm not a dustbin' but in the real world, I think people would find you a real drag. And that would bother me. (There's a french woman I know who is like that and it's a big price to pay to be thin but to come across as a bit of a prig!)

I don't think we need to label food as bad persay - it's just a lump of food after all, it hasn't a conscience or a personality - and there is no reason you can't have some cake now and then without binging on it. (Note- There is a big presumption in the book that as a reader you are a binger- having one square of chocolate and then ploughing through a family bar- where what was actually the case for me at least was the daily grind and drip drip effect of high calories snacks.)

Helpful tips include eating at set times, never being hungry when you eat (not like other books reccommend-, not nibbling for emotional reasons, and cutting down on the food you 'know' is fattening.

Another niggle is when she says

'id love to go up to a fat woman when they are eating a cake and say 'god don't you know how fat that's going to make you!' And to see what they say to that!'

- Which sounds gleefully mean to me and I think a) its a bit of an uneccesary point- there's no need to look down on other people whatever their size and whatever our own views and b) it goes against the point she labours that 'well it would be very boring if we all looked the same so just stay the way you want if you like' - (Although to be honest this point is made in the same way someone says angrily 'Well fine, don't listen then!' in a snappy way... Make of that what you will!)

So a mixed review. It's a great kick up the behind, sometimes the bad cop approach is laid on a bit thick - but still a good read for a fiver with some good tips for the keen thin girl inside you.

David Mitchell: Back Story
David Mitchell: Back Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Dec. 2012
I am a huge, ever quoting fan of Peep Show and I love the character of Mark. I have always wondered on the similarities of David and mark and this book helped me see the real David. He comes across very well and leaves no stone unturned- his work, how he got there, uni, his love life, his disappointments, and his new love.

He doesn't dwell on his family life too much, but - as I'm sure he would admit- he has a very privileged and lucky life thus far- with no cause for much story.

This truly is a back story!

I would recommend this book.

Here Lies Bridget
Here Lies Bridget
by Paige Harbison

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book!, 13 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Here Lies Bridget (Paperback)
I read this in 2.5 hours - not the most taxing book - but def. a great read.

Aimed at a young adult based on content and writing style- but I'm 27 and I guzzled it down!

characters are well rounded, and the teenage perspective is not hammy or cliché. The story is actually very deep and moving for a teen book- it left me thinking that if I were to have read it aged 13 I might have been a bit more thoughtful!

An excellent buy for teens and a good cheap read for older girls too.

INSIDE (One Man's Experience of Prison) A True Story
INSIDE (One Man's Experience of Prison) A True Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Really liked this, 24 Sept. 2012
I really liked this book and found I kept going back to it on my day off- always a good sign.

Found that he has a very likeable style - was a bit vague with what he had drunk at the time of the accident - fair enough - and only complaint I would have is there was nothing about the man he killed.

It would have been nice to have allowed the mum to write (or tell John) about her son at the end of the book - his likes, where he was going that night, was he a family man? Some photos? - Because the book would have felt a lot more rounded by that point and it would have been a nice touch showing respect.

Other than that, a good read.

Gypsy Jane - I've Been Shot Four Times and Served Three Prison Terms…This is the Incredible Story of My Life in London's Criminal Underworld

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 21 Aug. 2012
Boring book. Found the writer jumped up and couldn't believe I was reading the book that had such great reviews on here.

I hate people who are so smug about their toughness. It makes me want to put them on the naughty step. She comes across as very unlikeable. I didn't finish the book.

Found myself thinking "Did she just say she was the hardest woman in Britain? Jeez." This would have worked better as a fiction, and even then, i'd think it was written by a child.

Waste of money. Sorry.

To Travel Hopelessly: Five Years of Teaching English as a Foreign Language (The Burnout Trilogy Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Little reviews but worth a download!, 21 Aug. 2012
This book had 0 reviews when i bought it - so I was dubious.

The author comes across as quite blunt and dry, but in a comical way. you can see yourself being mates with him.

The story itself was really varied, very honest and quite heartwarming- you just need to be able to read about prostitution, drug use and more without being offended.

I will buy more of his books!

Date: The Diary of One Man's Ultimate Dating Challenge
Date: The Diary of One Man's Ultimate Dating Challenge

4.0 out of 5 stars Really liked this, 21 Aug. 2012
Really liked this. At first, the author came across as a bit of a tool, and I hadn't much sympathy for him. Sorry! However, as the book progressed I was genuinely interested in what would pan out!

The only thing I would have liked was maybe some nicknames for the girls 'Jumper Girl' etc- as 'No27 text me' ended up meaning nothing after a while.

The ending is a bit odd, but is based in reality which is refreshing.

Give it a read!