Profile for ADF > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Christmas Term at Cotterford
Christmas Term at Cotterford

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't like it ..., 14 Jan. 2015
I'm so sorry - I really wanted to like this book but I found it rather grim ... I suppose I was expecting a more traditional GO book - I have read the first title so knew that this series is very modern, but somehow it's too modern.
The characters, both staff and students, are all from a similar background. They use similar language (which was too strong for my personal liking) and have similar social standards. There's no-one nice in the book and it got a bit wearing. It's a kind of Waterloo Road book - very, very different than the usual. I wouldn't like to know any of the characters at all.
I was also very confused about the addition of the whole charismatic rally idea. What was the point of introducing this very strong element into the story? It came across as if the author was expunging some bad personal experiences rather than using the story-line to the develop the characters.

Romeo + Juliet [DVD] [1996]
Romeo + Juliet [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Leonardo DiCaprio
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 13 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Romeo + Juliet [DVD] [1996] (DVD)
I love Shakespeare and am familiar with the play, and I also enjoy original scripts set in modern times. I've seen lots of Shakespeare plays at the Barbican and most have been very successful demonstrating how well the dialogue translates to today. But the director of this particular attempt to set the story, using the original script in modern-day USA seemed then to think that it was imperative that the dialogue should be delivered at speed, as it would, perhaps, in gangster films or US police dramas. The problem is that this makes the dialogue impossible to grasp - as another reviewer said, it had no internal engagement and the actors didn't seem to understand the words themselves - they were just noises to be made to be delivered at speed. All-in-all a huge disappointment and a waste of money.

The Family Way (Boulting Brothers Collection) [DVD]
The Family Way (Boulting Brothers Collection) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hayley Mills

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good film, 1 Nov. 2013
Liked: the social detail (fashion, jobs and social mores). Interesting to see how far we've all been taken in by marketing to think that weddings have to cost so much and be so complicated - in this film the couple go to book their honeymoon on the day of the wedding, the bride goes home to put on her dress, they get married and have the reception in the local pub which then moves to the home of her new in-laws (where they are to spend their first night), and they don't get to bed until 2 am ...
Gradually cracks in the in-laws relationships appear and gradually the reasons for these are revealed.
I hated how the problem was finally resolved though.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 1 Nov. 2013
Painful, but one application was all it took - I would recommend this to anyone (but probably not for children because of the pain)

Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD]
Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 9 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I didn't see this when it was on TV and am now watching it for the first time ever - and loving every moment! I love that it doesn't need (or have) violence to give it impetus. Yes, there are fights and other things but we never see blood and gore so I can watch without problem. The episodes rely instead on brilliant scripting and acting - Benedict Cumberbatch is vulnerable but strong, and Andrew Scott as Moriaty - what a brilliant actor!!! Believable in each guise but beneath it all a simmering evil - very, very clever.

Kitchen Craft Le'Xpress 3 Cup Single Walled Stainless Steel Cafetiere
Kitchen Craft Le'Xpress 3 Cup Single Walled Stainless Steel Cafetiere
Offered by Heritage Home and Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 10 Mar. 2013
Like lots of other reveiwers I was fed up with breaking the glass liners of regular cafetieres, and I ordered this when I was cafetiere-less, having broken 2 liners in quick succession.
I must admit that if I had read the reveiws before ordering I might have been hesitant - this one leaks, it doesn't fill a mug ... well, it fills a regular-size UK mug perfectly and mine certainly doesn't leak. It also pours much much better than glass cafetieres which tend to dribble (well, mine always did ... ).
I am so pleased with this, and hopefully it'll last me a life-time. In my opinion, if you buy it you won't be disappointed!

Pilgrim's Progress: Journey to Heaven [DVD] [Region 2] [NTSC]
Pilgrim's Progress: Journey to Heaven [DVD] [Region 2] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Danny R. Carrales
Offered by re-vived

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 25 Feb. 2013
Although updated to modern times this DVD is pretty much faithful to the original script - watching it over and over again!

Made in Dagenham [DVD] [2010]
Made in Dagenham [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Sally Hawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Politically brilliant!, 24 April 2012
This film is fantastic from a political point of view. It explains, through the story, they social situation that existed pre-1970 and shows the Place of Women not only in the work-place but also at home.

It also shows the complexity of political decisions, and how people not wanting the social order to change use threats in order to maintain the status quo.

But please don't get the idea that it's a serious, worthy film - the whole atmosphere is 1960s, from clothing, to hairstyles and interior decoration - watch it just for this, if you like!

I loved it!

Jane Eyre [DVD] [2011]
Jane Eyre [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Mia Wasikowska

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother to buy this adaptation!, 24 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Jane Eyre [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Truly awful. It's almost impossible to see what's happening on screen because it's all so dark - while this makes it true to the times, candle-light and so on, it doesn't make for easy viewing. In fact, a lot of the itme it's impssible to see what's happening on screen at all.
The time-shifting made it tricky to follow, and as others have pointed out, huge bits have been missed out.
I am left with the idea that at that time, in that place, the sun never shone and evryone lived in a physically dark world.
Depressing and impossible to watch.

I had to give one star because otherwise my review wouldn't get posted. But in reality? NO stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2013 2:40 PM BST

Contagion [DVD] [2012]
Contagion [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Matt Damon
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 8 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Contagion [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Before buying this I read the reviews. Many more people gave a negative review than positive, but I now understand why.

This ISN'T your standard bells-and-whistles 'movie', with a story-line that flows along making it easy to understand. It's a pseudo-documentary, with fast camera-work amking it seem as if what's happening is breaking news and leaving the viewer to respond as they might - if it really happened.

If you want a 'story', don't buy this DVD. But if you want a 'what if', then buy it! If you are able to understand films that don't folllow the usual beginning-middle-end farmework then you'll understand this film!

Page: 1 | 2