Profile for comicXL > Reviews

Content by comicXL

comicXL

Slaine: The Books of Invasions: v. 3 (Rebellion 2000ad)
Slaine: The Books of Invasions: v. 3 (Rebellion 2000ad)
Price: 12.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Slaine Books of Invasion Vol. 3 - The conclusion, 26 Mar 2011
Unfortunately this third volume of the Books of Invasions marks the end of this amazing trilogy. Pat Mills delivers a stunning conclusion to the battle of the Fomorian Sea Devils against Slaine and the Atlantean tribes. At the end it comes to a clash of titans. I'm referring to Slaine vs Lord Odacon. Undoubtedly Lord Odacon will find himself kissing Slaine's Axe. But can a Sea Devil be truly defeated? Following the climax of the main story there's an epilogue entitled "Carnival". It's a treat for the fans and I must say I enjoyed it very much. Slaine decides find out the whereabouts of his son Kai. It's also the reintroduction of Ukko the dwarf. Clint Langley delivers again and I've noticed the evolution he's made between the first album and the second and third one. Langley's mix between drawing arts and computer techniques is amazing. The whole atmosphere breaths realism and fantasy in a way you haven't experienced before. Mind blowing and crafted with so much detail, you find yourself sometimes watching a single frame with your mouth half opened and gasping for air. So again; it's unfortunately the series end here. I wouldn't mind the continuation of Slaine by these two formidable lads; Mills and Langley!
To all the fans; own this trilogy and treasure it for it is a milestone of the same proportions as the period Mills worked with Simon Bisley on Slaine.

Slaine: Scota and Tara v. 2: The Books of Invasions
Slaine: Scota and Tara v. 2: The Books of Invasions
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Slaine Books of Invasion Vol. 2, 26 Mar 2011
Written by Pat Mills, creator of 2000 AD, this new trilogy about Slaine MacRoth brings us back to the Land of Tir Nan Og. Mills delves into the mythology of pre-Irish/Scotish culture and twists the legends and historical facts into new shapes and adjusts it all to the characters involved. So the battle continues and an unexpected alliance between Slaine and the Atlantean tribes is forged to try to stop the madness of the relentless Sea Devils. But will the efforts of Scotia, the Egyptian Queen and Gael, the future High King of Ireland, be enough to stop Lord Odacon? It seems Slaine must turn to a greater power to prevail.
How does it all translate into pictures? Well, I was amazed by the graphic style of Clint Langley. The artwork is sublime and there's a lot of detail and passion put into it. Langley combines the drawing art with modern computer techniques which allows him to deliver stunningly detailed expressions of the characters. There's some realism to it which makes it all convincing. I love it! The atmosphere is vivid and it sucks you right into the world created by Mills and Langley.

Slaine - The Books of Invasions: Moloch and Golamh v. 1
Slaine - The Books of Invasions: Moloch and Golamh v. 1
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Slaine: a new era!, 26 Mar 2011
Being a great fan of Simon Bisley's work on Slaine I took the liberty of ordering the new trilogy entitled "The books of Invasion". Of course knowing that Pat Mills wrote the new saga I was convinced it wouldn't let me down. Mills introduces a new perspective to the universe of Slaine. Once again he delves into the mythology of pre-Irish/Scotish culture. Mills is all about research and twisting the legends and historical facts into new shapes and adjusting it all to the characters involved. So that's how we learn about the rise of the Sea Devils and their intentions to conquer back the land of Tir Nan Og. What can you expect? Atlantean Tribes, Egyptian Queens, Fomorian Lords and lot's of human suffering! But how does it all translate into pictures? Well, I was amazed by the graphic style of Clint Langley. The artwork is sublime and there's a lot of detail and passion put into it. Langley combines the drawing art with modern computer techniques which allows him to deliver stunningly detailed expressions of the characters. There's some realism to it which makes it all convincing. I love it! The atmosphere is vivid and it sucks you right into the world as imagined by Mills and Langley. The story begins with this first volume and after turning the last page you just want to keep reading more and more!!! Brilliant piece of art recommended to all the fans of Mills/Langley/Bisley and 2000 AD.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2011 11:46 PM BST

ABC Warriors: The Volgan War Vol. 3
ABC Warriors: The Volgan War Vol. 3

5.0 out of 5 stars The Volgan War Volume III - Awesome!!!!, 22 Feb 2011
The third volume in the Volgan War series. It keeps getting better and better. Pat Mills knows how to bring futuristic war into our homes! War is the main character, so be warned; it's carnage and you can almost smell burned flesh 'n metal!! The ABC Warriors join forces to end the war for once and for all and along the way each of them tells us about their contribution in this nasty war. With these flash-backs the story unfolds and leads us towards a climatic end which is jet to come!
The artwork is truly amazing! Clint Langley delivers his best work ever. Each page is a masterwork and I can't imagine how many hours went into those details in every single frame. Clint offers us a marriage between drawing art and applying a finishing touch with computer technology. The results are amazing and very realistic in a sense. I haven't enjoyed a graphic novel this much since Simon Bisley's work. (It's no coincidence that my favorite albums are collaborations between Mills and the Biz) The hardcover editions have been manufactured with the highest quality standards. The colors are truly amazing, the printing is superb!!!. I ordered this third volume together with Volume 1 and 2. I'm really happy with these masterworks. They make a fine addition to my graphic novel/comics collection! (If you like this product you should check other work from Mills and Langley: Slaine: The books of Invasions or the original Slaine by Mills and Bisley!)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2011 9:00 AM BST

ABC Warriors: The Volgan War Vol.2
ABC Warriors: The Volgan War Vol.2
by Pat Mills

5.0 out of 5 stars ABC Warriors: The Volgan War II - graphically awesome!, 22 Feb 2011
The Volgan War... a new episode in the ABC Warriors universe. Patt Mills (the writer) delivers a raw story set in a period of global war. And war is the main theme here so be warned; it's carnage and you can almost smell burned flesh 'n metal!! The ABC Warriors join forces to end this war for once and for all and along the way each of them tells us about their contribution in this nasty war. With these flash-backs the story unfolds and leads us towards a climatic end which is jet to come!
The artwork is truly amazing! Clint Langley has gone a step further and delivers here a masterpiece!! I haven't enjoyed a graphic novel this much since Simon Bisley's work. (It's no coincidence that my favorite albums are collaborations between Mills and the Biz) The hardcover editions have been manufactured with the highest quality standards. The colors are truly amazing, the printing is superb!!!. I ordered this second volume together with Volume 1 and 3. I'm really happy with these masterworks. They make a fine addition to my graphic novel/comics collection!

ABC Warriors: The Volgan War Vol. 1
ABC Warriors: The Volgan War Vol. 1
by Pat Mills

5.0 out of 5 stars ABC Warriors: The Volgan War - graphically awesome!, 22 Feb 2011
I learnt about the ABC Warriors in the "Megacity: series. Then I lost track of them. But recently I saw a preview of the new series; The Volgan War. Patt Mills (the writer) delivers a raw story set in a period of global war. And war is the main theme here so be warned; it's carnage and you can almost smell burned flesh 'n metal!! The ABC Warriors join forces to end this war for once and for all and along the way each of them tells us about their contribution in this nasty war. With these flash-backs the story unfolds and leads us towards a climatic end which is jet to come! What really blew me away are the graphics. Clint Langley has gone a step further and delivers here a masterpiece!! I haven't enjoyed a graphic novel this much since Simon Bisley's Slaine (and other work from the Biz). It's no coincidence that Mills was also responsible for the scenarios for Slaine. Clint Langley also did the artwork for the latest Slaine albums and I consider him one of the best at the moment.
I love these hardcover editions cause they have been manufactured with the highest quality standards. The colors are truly amazing, the printing is superb!!!. I ordered the second and third volume together with this first one and I'm really happy with these masterworks. They make a fine addition to my graphic novel/comics collection!