Profile for Colin Charteris > Reviews

Colin Charteris

A Letter Home
A Letter Home

3.0 out of 5 stars Why oh why oh why?, 28 May 2014
This review is from: A Letter Home (Audio CD)
This could have made a very decent "covers" album if Mr Young had just gone into a studio or on to a stage and strummed and sung along. They are good songs, and contrary to some reviewers I think Neil's voice sounds pretty good on these tracks. My gripe, and I'm not alone in this I think, is that why oh why oh why did he feel the need to give them some sort of "authenticity" by recording them in this manner, crackles, fades in and out and all. If he's doing it for the "art" (got to stop these "speech" marks) then by all means tag it on to another "proper" (there I go again) release as a freebie but to charge a not insignificant amount for what is at best a whim is taking the mickey quite frankly. 5 stars for the music, 1 star for the concept = 3 stars overall.

Indie Cindy
Indie Cindy

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmm, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Indie Cindy (Audio CD)
This would have got 4 stars if I didn't already own most of the tracks on here courtesy of the previously released EPs. That's not to say what there is isn't good. It is, but it's not as good as their classic years, lets face it who is? So you've got the angst driven lyrics and vocals, the churning guitars and rhythms and a decent level of discordant excitement but is it essential? Sadly no. Close but no cigar.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2014 1:08 AM BST

Embrace
Embrace

1.0 out of 5 stars I see the Embrace fan club have mobilised, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Embrace (Audio CD)
Where is the reality in a world where the new Pixies album gets one review on day of release yet one from a Britpop bunch of also rans has 30 (at the time of writing) glowing reviews? It would appear these are also mainly from folk who seem to have reviewed little else, a "sin" I freely admit to but I'm here to bury Embrace, not to praise them. I've listened to the album via a streaming service and am amazed I even made it to the end. If you want bland, stodgy self indulgence, then look no further. This is awful.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2014 9:28 AM BST

Hail To The King
Hail To The King

1.0 out of 5 stars Humdrum metal album, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
Bless everyone who thinks this is from the best heavy metal album of "there" generation. Such similarity of review suggests young fanboys/girls who haven't a clue what they are talking about. Nevertheless, they are entitled to their opinion, it's just that I disagree. Having absolutely loved every other Avenged Sevenfold albums, this one, I'm afraid, is modern metal by numbers. Check the other reviews that describe the overt influences here. That's hardly earth shattering or ground breaking is it? Sorry folks but the mojo has gone and it will be a hard job to get it back.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2014 9:53 PM BST

Nameless
Nameless

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, 4 July 2013
This review is from: Nameless (Kindle Edition)
In common with many such kindle books, this is shabbily written, the plot is risible and the characterizations are straight out of cliche central. This is awful. The author thanks his "editor" and I have to say - for what? Read the first chapter for free and tell me that any "editor" has earned their corn. Quite frankly anyone who reads this all the way through deserves a medal and anyone who gives it 5 stars can't read many books or can only be about 15 years old.

Don't worry fans, I got to page 25 and gave up, shame on me...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2013 9:06 PM BST

Dresden: A Survivor's Story (Kindle Single)
Dresden: A Survivor's Story (Kindle Single)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 1 Mar 2013
I would like to thank Mr Gregg for giving us his insightful but horrific tale, it must have taken a lot out of him to relive the experience. It is a visceral tale, and shockingly easy to read which is to his and his co-author's credit. My major misgiving is that I feel that there are many opportunities missed in what appears to be an indecent haste to get the story out in time for the anniversary of these horrible events. There are many spelling and proof reading errors "there" instead of "their" on at least 2 occasions and why can't we have had more about Mr Gregg's experiences with the Russians?. I may be being a bit harsh here as I'm sure retelling the story even as it is must have been hard but even so, even at the price I feel that this is no more than a lengthy magazine article. Whilst Mr Gregg's experiences are horrific, extremely poignant and a story of events that should never happen again, I can't help feeling that this could have been a better read if more care had been taken over it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2013 3:53 AM BST