Profile for P. G. Russell > Reviews

Content by P. G. Russell

P. G. Russell (North Northumberland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Shift: (Wool Trilogy 2) (Wool Trilogy Series)
Shift: (Wool Trilogy 2) (Wool Trilogy Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars The screen is becoming cleaner, 21 Aug. 2013
Yes - we are finding out more of the terrible truth behind Silo 18 - and the others of course. I was planning to keep this book back to read on holiday, but made the mistake of just trying a little bit . . . and that was the end of that! I do recommend everyone to read these books, even if they think they hate sci fi. The terrible message they send is all too relevant in our world, where advanced technology is used with gay abandon by those who don't even know what its first principles are - and I include myself in this - and where paranoia and hatred of "the other" are still so strong.
I have just downloaded "Dust" - the third book - and so far have avoided looking into it. Roll on Sept. 7th, but someone should warn my husband not to expect much in the way of conversation for a few days!

Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue (The Bern Saga Book 1)
Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue (The Bern Saga Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of juvenilia, 21 Aug. 2013
I bought this as I had enjoyed Wool so much, but it is obviously a teen series - exciting enough I suppose, but not to be compared with the marvels of The Silo! I will not be going on to the others, but would recommend the series for those in the appropriate age group, as it does touch on quite serious issues of morality and loyalty.

Netgear DGN2200-100UKS N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems reliable, 20 Aug. 2013
This replaces our original, elderly router and seems to be just fine. Easy to install - nothing to complain about.

Wool (Wool Trilogy Series Book 1)
Wool (Wool Trilogy Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Trilogy of the decade, 10 Aug. 2013
I have been reading Sci Fi for many decades now, and this is one of the best, most exciting ideas I have come across in a long time. The Cosy Catastrophe is anything but cosy here - a nightmare which gets worse as one reads on. A faint glimmer of hope - perhaps the third part will see our heroine changing things for the benighted remnants of the human race, trapped in their silos? Brilliant work from Mr Howey, other attempters should take note that a literate writing style and humanly believable characters are as important as a rash of magical aliens!

Beautiful Ruins
Beautiful Ruins

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is pure enjoyment, 20 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Ruins (Kindle Edition)
A little village on the Italian coast. . . . Richard Burton's illegitimate child . . . a mad Hollywood producer . . . the set of Cleopatra . . . the result of a lifelong, unrequited love . . . a lie with decades of ramifications . . . an aspiring but failing novelist . . . all these strands and more, in the hands of a masterful writer, make this one of those novels you can't wait to tell your friends about. Do, I beg you, read it AT ONCE!

The Star Beast
The Star Beast
by Robert A. Heinlein
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too dated perhaps?, 16 Jun. 2013
I have many years of Heinlein worship under my belt, but hadn't read this one. I bought it on the recommendation of my sister in law, and I did quite enjoy it I suppose. The trouble is that it doesn't live up to some of his others - Glory Road, The Door into Summer, and possibly the best time travel paradox story of all time - By His Bootstraps. So - if you are new to this Golden Age master, try one of the others, not The Star Beast.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars Disaster turns to delight, 5 Jun. 2013
I was an early purchaser of the original Kindle, loved it and built up quite a good collection on it. Then . . . I TROD ON IT. When the horror subsided, I realised that I would just have to get a replacement. Enter the Paperwhite. Back lit, so I can read in bed without putting the light on . . . easy to navigate . . . easy to transfer all the existing books to the new device. I can honestly say that I am glad I trod on my first one, as I would probably kept it for years and not benefited from this excellent upgrade.

The Real North Korea: Life and Politics in the Failed Stalinist Utopia
The Real North Korea: Life and Politics in the Failed Stalinist Utopia

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing insight into a living hell, 5 Jun. 2013
Having already read and enjoyed Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick, I bought this after reading an excellent review in the Sunday Times. It is both reassuring and horrifying; incredibly easy to read and absorb, leaving one with a lasting impression of the dreadful dilemma that the Kim family has got itself into, and the limited choices the rest of the world faces in the event of it all going wrong. Well worth reading on many levels.

Skios
Skios

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy The Tin Men instead, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Skios (Kindle Edition)
I freely admit that, having read other books (particularly The Tin Men) by Michael Frayn, and reading ecstatic reviews of Skios in The Times and The Sunday Times, my expectations might have been too high. It just wasn't that funny . . . quite amusing I suppose, but I had been expecting the sort of hysterical set pieces such as the robot deciding who to save in Tin Men. As I say, one would be better advised to buy Tin Men and leave Skios until you find it in a second hand shop - wish I had!

Inverted World (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Inverted World (S.F. MASTERWORKS)

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunningly original idea, 14 April 2013
I read this book some years ago, and decided to put it on my Kindle to re-read it. It was just as brilliant, if not better than before. Christopher Priest writes SF of the most amazing originality, combining action with great philosophical ideas to stunning effect. The desperate trouble (which becomes unfixable) that our protagonist finds himself facing makes you think about our universe, our way of looking at ourselves, and what the inside and outside of heads give us. I won't say any more - just read it - and then go on to Priest's other books. The film "The Prestige" was based on another of his books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5