Profile for fellwalker46 > Reviews

Content by fellwalker46

fellwalker46

Page: 1 | 2
The House Opposite (The Detective Club)
The House Opposite (The Detective Club)

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual but a worthwhile read, 30 April 2016
Despite enjoying other books by J. Jefferson Farjeon I consistently passed this one over, based on the synopsis and sample which were not immediately appealing. I'm pleased I finally bought it. The plot and central character (Ben, a tramp) are a bit odd and don't fit a familiar detective fiction scenario. Ben succeeds through accident, instinct, fear, stubborn unreasoning commitment and sheer chance. There is little detection here; this is not for readers who want a hero following clues in a country house murder mystery. Furthermore, the plot is difficult to grasp initially since the first half of the book sees everything through Ben's disordered mind and irrational actions. Ben's seemingly absurd and impulsive thinking begins to show its own consistent pattern and a fascinating, eventually thrilling storyline emerges. As usual Farjeon's prose is a pleasure to read. His depiction of Ben's character and dialogue (much of which is to himself) is convincing. I struggled to keep going for about the first quarter of the book, drawn on mainly by the quality of the writing, then began to enjoy the story. Overall, it's a good read but more thriller than detective novel.

Knorr Chicken Powder 900 g
Knorr Chicken Powder 900 g

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 26 April 2016
Best stock powder on the market.

The Truth about Eden: Understanding the Fall and the Temple Experience
The Truth about Eden: Understanding the Fall and the Temple Experience
by Alonzo L. Gaskill

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 26 April 2016
Interesting and informative.

The Chosen: With Connections (HRW Library)
The Chosen: With Connections (HRW Library)
by Chaim Potok

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 4 Sept. 2015
Fabulous book. Excellent service

Gigaset S810A Twin DECT Cordless Phone - Steel Grey
Gigaset S810A Twin DECT Cordless Phone - Steel Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars The process was relatively easy, though the QuickSync software (available for Windows or ..., 24 July 2014
So far I've had it for only a few days so can't comment on reliability. The menus are reasonably intuitive and I had no difficulty configuring the phone for my needs. After downloading Gigaset's QuickSync software, and registering the handsets with bluetooth, I uploading contacts via bluetooth from my Mac to one of the handsets, from which I exported them to the other handsets. The process was relatively easy, though the QuickSync software (available for Windows or OSX) is not the finest I have used. I also used it to upload ringtones from my Mac. Again, quite easy, but three niggles. First, unlike contacts, ringtones can't be exported to all handsets; they have to be uploaded to each handset separately, using QuickSync. Second, the ringtones on the base station can't be added to in this way, only the handsets - you're stuck with the pre-loaded range on the base station (you can, of course mute the base station and just hear the handsets ring). Third, after registration all the handsets appear in QuickSync with identical names (S810) with no apparent way of changing them, which makes it difficult to pick the one you want. Overall, the phone works well. The earpiece and ring volumes are sufficient but only just. Like most phones the maximum volume setting is necessary for someone with average hearing, and ideally I'd like another notch or two up for quiet speakers. Sound quality is crystal clear - the thing I most hoped for after several years with a fuzzy BT handset. The base station loudspeaker is not so crystal clear - it's understandable, and loud enough but rather wooly. I spent a lot of time in research before buying the phone. I got the 810 instead of the newer 820 because of the many negative comments about the touch screen. I have that kind of screen on my satnav, and it's a pain to use. The older button menus on the 810 are easy to navigate and work well. Overall, I am delighted with the phone, especially compared with the old system it replaced, and with hindsight, I would still make the same purchase. It's just a pity that a few small niggles spoil what could have been a superb instrument. As it is, I can only give it four stars not five. I haven't yet found any phone that is worth full marks, but this comes close

The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane series Book 4)
The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane series Book 4)

2.0 out of 5 stars Just About Worth A Read, But . . ., 29 Dec. 2013
Just about worth a read, especially for Peter Wimsey fans. Others not familiar with the original books may struggle and wonder why Dorothy Sayers is so popular - since this is patently not a Sayers but a Paton Walsh. Like another reviewer, I originally gave it three stars but on reflection I have dropped it to two - two and a half would be more accurate. It lacks the graceful, natural flow and language in the usually well crafted story line of the originals, and stalls in extraneous scenes disconnected from the plot. There are also numerous anachronisms and anomalies. The sense and feel of period, such a strong element the Sayers' originals, is clumsy and unconvincing. There are loose threads and continuity issues. For example, we are not given a satisfactory explanation of the apparent separation of Bunter from his wife Hope, now that the Wimseys have moved from their London house to the remains of the ancestral hall. There are several similar gaps or unconvincing developments in the continuing Wimsey saga. A further irritation for me is the characterisation. She tends to explain her characters overtly, rather than through story development, response to circumstance and conversation. This was less of an issue in her first three Wimsey books; indeed this book is not of the same standard generally. Despite these comments, I finished it (which is an accolade in itself - I am not one to persevere with a poor book for the sake of finishing) and I can recommend it for a rainy afternoon or two curled up on the sofa in front of a good fire, but it is a disappointment.

MTT Original Case Landscape Format with Belt Clip and security loop, for Apple iPhone 5 / 5S / 5C Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality materials, good workmanship, good looks, 26 Nov. 2013
This is an excellent product. Quality materials, good workmanship, good looks and functionality at a reasonable price. The belt clip is strong and secure and does not slip - with a belt of the right width I think it would be almost impossible to pull off by accident (for example by a car seat belt). The downside is that it can be a little difficult to remove, but you can't have it both ways and I'd rather have security than a case that slides off with a slight nudge. The magnetic flap shuts with a reassuring snap, and is strong enough not to open accidentally but not too strong for easy access. I have used four or five different belt holster cases and this is easily the best; I think it would be hard to find a better one.

Marware C.E.O. Prestige Plus Holster Case for iPhone 5 - Black
Marware C.E.O. Prestige Plus Holster Case for iPhone 5 - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good As Before, 15 Nov. 2013
I already own the Marware iPhone 4 case which functions well; the best case I have ever had, in fact. I assumed this iPhone 5 case would be the same except for length since it looks similar in the photos. Unfortunately the design has changed slightly. Specifically, the spring clip is less strong and slips off the belt too easily; it seems to stand proud of the case compared with the 4 case - just fractionally but enough to reduce the gripping power. Also, the magnetic flap closes less securely and flips open too easily (the magnets seem weaker, or perhaps the material is thicker) compared to the 4 case which closes with a reassuring snap. Workmanship and materials are still top notch; but with these weaknesses I don't feel confident using it for my new iPhone 5S. I may have bought an untypical lemon, but I have returned it and will try elsewhere.

E-cloth Mop Set
E-cloth Mop Set

5.0 out of 5 stars This is brilliant., 20 May 2013
This review is from: E-cloth Mop Set (Misc.)
I only recently discovered this mop. I have used e-cloths for years and love them. This mop fully met all my expectations. It's brilliant.

E-cloth Kitchen Pack
E-cloth Kitchen Pack
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous., 20 May 2013
I have used e-cloths for years. There is nothing on the market to touch them. I bought these for a friend who evangelises them as much as I do.

Page: 1 | 2