Profile for fellwalker46 > Reviews

Content by fellwalker46

fellwalker46

Gigaset S810A Twin DECT Cordless Phone - Steel Grey
Gigaset S810A Twin DECT Cordless Phone - Steel Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars The process was relatively easy, though the QuickSync software (available for Windows or ..., 24 July 2014
So far I've had it for only a few days so can't comment on reliability. The menus are reasonably intuitive and I had no difficulty configuring the phone for my needs. After downloading Gigaset's QuickSync software, and registering the handsets with bluetooth, I uploading contacts via bluetooth from my Mac to one of the handsets, from which I exported them to the other handsets. The process was relatively easy, though the QuickSync software (available for Windows or OSX) is not the finest I have used. I also used it to upload ringtones from my Mac. Again, quite easy, but three niggles. First, unlike contacts, ringtones can't be exported to all handsets; they have to be uploaded to each handset separately, using QuickSync. Second, the ringtones on the base station can't be added to in this way, only the handsets - you're stuck with the pre-loaded range on the base station (you can, of course mute the base station and just hear the handsets ring). Third, after registration all the handsets appear in QuickSync with identical names (S810) with no apparent way of changing them, which makes it difficult to pick the one you want. Overall, the phone works well. The earpiece and ring volumes are sufficient but only just. Like most phones the maximum volume setting is necessary for someone with average hearing, and ideally I'd like another notch or two up for quiet speakers. Sound quality is crystal clear - the thing I most hoped for after several years with a fuzzy BT handset. The base station loudspeaker is not so crystal clear - it's understandable, and loud enough but rather wooly. I spent a lot of time in research before buying the phone. I got the 810 instead of the newer 820 because of the many negative comments about the touch screen. I have that kind of screen on my satnav, and it's a pain to use. The older button menus on the 810 are easy to navigate and work well. Overall, I am delighted with the phone, especially compared with the old system it replaced, and with hindsight, I would still make the same purchase. It's just a pity that a few small niggles spoil what could have been a superb instrument. As it is, I can only give it four stars not five. I haven't yet found any phone that is worth full marks, but this comes close

The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane series Book 4)
The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane series Book 4)

2.0 out of 5 stars Just About Worth A Read, But . . ., 29 Dec. 2013
Just about worth a read, especially for Peter Wimsey fans. Others not familiar with the original books may struggle and wonder why Dorothy Sayers is so popular - since this is patently not a Sayers but a Paton Walsh. Like another reviewer, I originally gave it three stars but on reflection I have dropped it to two - two and a half would be more accurate. It lacks the graceful, natural flow and language in the usually well crafted story line of the originals, and stalls in extraneous scenes disconnected from the plot. There are also numerous anachronisms and anomalies. The sense and feel of period, such a strong element the Sayers' originals, is clumsy and unconvincing. There are loose threads and continuity issues. For example, we are not given a satisfactory explanation of the apparent separation of Bunter from his wife Hope, now that the Wimseys have moved from their London house to the remains of the ancestral hall. There are several similar gaps or unconvincing developments in the continuing Wimsey saga. A further irritation for me is the characterisation. She tends to explain her characters overtly, rather than through story development, response to circumstance and conversation. This was less of an issue in her first three Wimsey books; indeed this book is not of the same standard generally. Despite these comments, I finished it (which is an accolade in itself - I am not one to persevere with a poor book for the sake of finishing) and I can recommend it for a rainy afternoon or two curled up on the sofa in front of a good fire, but it is a disappointment.

Original MTT ® / for Apple iPhone 5 / iPhone5 / iPhone V / Genuine Leather Horizontal Case - With Locked Belt Clip / Cover / Quality Slip Pouch / Soft Phone Bag (Luxurious - Premium Quality) BROWN

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality materials, good workmanship, good looks, 26 Nov. 2013
This is an excellent product. Quality materials, good workmanship, good looks and functionality at a reasonable price. The belt clip is strong and secure and does not slip - with a belt of the right width I think it would be almost impossible to pull off by accident (for example by a car seat belt). The downside is that it can be a little difficult to remove, but you can't have it both ways and I'd rather have security than a case that slides off with a slight nudge. The magnetic flap shuts with a reassuring snap, and is strong enough not to open accidentally but not too strong for easy access. I have used four or five different belt holster cases and this is easily the best; I think it would be hard to find a better one.

Marware C.E.O. Prestige Plus Holster Case for iPhone 5 - Black
Marware C.E.O. Prestige Plus Holster Case for iPhone 5 - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good As Before, 15 Nov. 2013
I already own the Marware iPhone 4 case which functions well; the best case I have ever had, in fact. I assumed this iPhone 5 case would be the same except for length since it looks similar in the photos. Unfortunately the design has changed slightly. Specifically, the spring clip is less strong and slips off the belt too easily; it seems to stand proud of the case compared with the 4 case - just fractionally but enough to reduce the gripping power. Also, the magnetic flap closes less securely and flips open too easily (the magnets seem weaker, or perhaps the material is thicker) compared to the 4 case which closes with a reassuring snap. Workmanship and materials are still top notch; but with these weaknesses I don't feel confident using it for my new iPhone 5S. I may have bought an untypical lemon, but I have returned it and will try elsewhere.

E-cloth Mop Set
E-cloth Mop Set
Offered by Best4Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars This is brilliant., 20 May 2013
This review is from: E-cloth Mop Set (Misc.)
I only recently discovered this mop. I have used e-cloths for years and love them. This mop fully met all my expectations. It's brilliant.

E-cloth Kitchen Pack
E-cloth Kitchen Pack
Offered by Activecare Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous., 20 May 2013
I have used e-cloths for years. There is nothing on the market to touch them. I bought these for a friend who evangelises them as much as I do.

E-cloth Deep Clean Mop Head
E-cloth Deep Clean Mop Head

5.0 out of 5 stars Best mop head on the market., 20 May 2013
I have tried almost every mop on the market, including an electric steam one. None of them are as good as this one. I can clean my kitchen and utility room floors in about 2 minutes flat. Brilliant.

The God Who Weeps: How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life
The God Who Weeps: How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life
by Terryl Givens

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful., 20 May 2013
I love this book. It is like no other I have ever read. Wonderful, comforting reading. It has made a big difference to my life.

White Jersey Fitted Sheet Super King Size
White Jersey Fitted Sheet Super King Size
Offered by Tony's Textiles Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant service., 20 May 2013
These sheets have something more than most others do - they are somewhat larger than superking size so that when they're washed and tumble dried they actually shrink to the correct size. Great.

Epson WorkForce WF-7525 Printer
Epson WorkForce WF-7525 Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Excellent But A Few Niggles, 6 Jun. 2012
The Epson WF-7525 is an excellent machine but for me printer choice is always a compromise. After some thirty years I have not yet discovered a printer that ticks all my boxes. I really like the new Epson WP series with their high capacity ink tanks, but they don't include borderless printing or an A3 option. After several weeks of painstaking research, The WF-7525 is the closest to my requirements I could find. I considered but rejected the Brother and HP alternatives, and Canon doesn't offer an A3 MFD (wish they did). Now that I have used the machine for a few days, would I make the same choice? Absolutely! Despite the caveats below, this is a top-class performer and I am pleased with my decision.

My main pre-purchase concerns about the WF-7525 were the lack of a vertical back paper feed and the capability of the cassette to reliably feed envelope stacks and thick paper (strangely, few reviews cover this function for any printer). I was also a little concerned about print quality, based on one or two reviews.

No problem with print quality: normal mode provides acceptably clear, crisp text. Examined under a magnifying glass, letter edges are slightly less sharp than print from my Canon MX860 but the difference is minimal and to the naked eye results are excellent. Finer settings approach laser quality but are slower. Photo prints are also outstanding - though not quite as good as the Canon: colour is ever-so-slightly muddier and less vibrant (might be correctable using printer settings), and fine detail, especially in darker areas, is less well defined. This is true for plain paper at normal quality and glossy photo paper at best quality. However the differences are marginal and unless you are unusually demanding or a professional photographer prints are more than acceptable for most business or personal use. This is also a speedy printer, much faster than my Canon, although pre-print processing can take up to twenty seconds.

The scanner is good and the scan/copy functions work well. I have always liked the Epson scanner software, which I missed when I migrated to Canon.

Lack of a vertical back feed is more problematic. I bought the machine knowingly, but I suspect this compromise will niggle in the months to come. The ability to slot in the odd-sized envelope or card stock for a one-off job, without needing to change the media in a cassette is a real boon that I will miss. My related concern - the cassette's ability to feed thick paper and envelopes - is an issue. Thankfully it will feed envelopes OK but thick paper is a problem. You can lie to the printer - for example tell it you are using glossy photo paper (no problems with this, incidentally, even the thicker ones) when in fact you are using artistic greeting card paper, though I am not entirely sure if this helps. You can find out from the Epson Web site what weights their various paper options are then make equivalent substitutions, but some may fail to print. My Canon will happily print a very thick art paper through the vertical back feed, but the same paper repeatedly jammed in the Epson. I can get around the issue by a more careful choice of paper, but it's none the less disappointing. I wonder why so few reviews address this function - surely I am not the only one who creates greeting cards?

I used to be a loyal Epson fan, but I was proselytized to Canon some five years ago. I was surprised to note how little the printer menus and interface has changed since then, especially for core functions. They are workmanlike and do the job efficiently enough, but the interface is unappealing and some functions are a bit tedious and clunky. Going through the menus I was also reminded of the nozzle check, cleaning and realignment procedures that used to be a regular routine with my previous Epsons but virtually disappeared with my Canon machines. I have not had the WF-7525 long enough to know how much of an issue this will be, but I suspect it may be an unavoidable consequence of pigment-based inks.

Setup was reasonably straightforward, but I am computer-savvy. The "start here" setup guide is inadequate and in places confusing; a novice might encounter problems. My network has a Vista PC and four Macs (3 Lion, 1 Snow Leopard). I manually added the printer to my network from the printer control panel, using the simple WiFi Setup Wizard. The WiFi setup options appear after the ink cartridges are installed, but the setup guide does not clearly explain what to do with them. As usual, when adding the printer to the Macs, they picked it up and automatically installed the drivers. Which is just as well, since the installation disk was not recognised by the first Mac I tried, so I didn't bother using it on the others (I subsequently discovered it worked OK on the other three). The disk worked fine on the Vista PC; I ignored the "start here" guide and just followed the prompts in the software. After installation I upgraded the printer firmware (also inadequately explained), though I have no idea what functionality the new firmware adds, since Epson didn't say - no doubt the information is buried somewhere in their site, but I haven't time to look.

I give the machine itself eight or even nine out of ten, but the setup instructions and software only get two.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2013 4:43 PM GMT