Profile for Prof J. Maxon > Reviews

Content by Prof J. Maxon

Prof J. Maxon (Shap, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Jobsworth: Confessions of the Man from the Council
Jobsworth: Confessions of the Man from the Council
by Malcolm Philips

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book - a must-read!, 26 April 2013
For over 20 years I worked for a vast number of Local Authorities in England and the Channel Islands as a management consultant/management trainer and throughout that time I was very often regaled with what sounded like' tall tales' as to what life was like working in a Local Authority in the 1960s and 1970s. Well, according to Malcolm Philips, in his outstanding book, what sounded like tall tales to me were `business as usual' for many people. This book really is a must read for those thousands of people who worked in local government in the 60s and 70s and for the thousands more who simply heard all about life in the `good old days'. In fact, it would be a fascinating read for anyone!

Bosch 45 Piece Accessory Set
Bosch 45 Piece Accessory Set

2.0 out of 5 stars Duff Drill Bits, 24 Dec. 2012
To say that I was disappointed is definitely the understatement of 2012! Although the drill bits for wood are ok, the ones for masonary and metal are simply rubbish! The tip of the 6mm masonary drill bit simply fell apart inside the wall in which I was drilling. I had to buy another one from B&Q. As far as the ones for metal are concerned, they simply do not drill into metal. Perhaps they were made to drill into aluminium foil! I made no comments about the screw driver bits, as they seem fit for purpose. Quite frankly, my faith in Bosch products has been severely dented and I will think twice before ever buying one of their products again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2013 8:28 PM BST

PATHFINDER 21 LED Headlamp Headlight - Water-resistant. 4 Modes Of Operation, Head Safety, Lamp, Flash Light, Torch For Cycling, Climbing, Mountain Biking, Camping, Night Reading. Adjustable Beam Angle. 100,000 Hours LED lifetime (in RETAIL PACKAGING)
Offered by WowBox UK (EU-wide shipping)

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty product and worst customer service I have ever had, 24 May 2012
As a keen fellwalker, I bought a Pathfinder 21 LED headlamp in August 2011 with the idea that I would keep it in my rucksack until I really needed a powerful headtorch. After testing the item when I first got it, and it seemed to work fine, I put it in my rusksack. A couple of weeks ago I badly needed the light, only to find that it was completely useless. None of the settings worked and using different sets of batteries had no impact. (Luckily, I had a normal torch as backup or my wife and I would have been stuck in total darkness in the pouring rain.) I contacted the supplier (a company called Gifts) via 'Contact Seller' on the Amazon website, and so far I have not had any response from them at all, despite contacting them three times. Therefore, not only was the product useless, but the customer service was equally dreadful. Naturally, I contacted Amazon and was told that their guarantee policy only covered items for up to 90 days. I was also told that Amazon monitor the communication between buyer and seller. But, given that Gifts have not replied to my email messages, and, presumably Amazon know this, why are they taking no action? Up until now I have always found Amazon to be very helpful and professional but this episode had clearly dented my confidence in them. As for Gifts, I would not recommend them or the Pathfinder 21 LED headlamp, to anyone. If I could have given zero stars I would have done so.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2013 6:09 PM GMT

Alto AL7377 Contractor Pack of 10 FIRE RATED White Tilt Downlight LV Full Kits - 12v MR16 Inc Sylvania Bulb & Transformer -

5.0 out of 5 stars A very attractive bulb,, 22 Feb. 2012
Not only do the bulbs save an enormous amount of energy, being only 5w, they are also very attractive so small shades are unnecessary. Also, despite being only 5w, they give off more than adequate light. I would recommend them to anyone. Finally, the Amazon price was the lowest I could find and delivery was very quick.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2012 8:07 PM GMT

Ultimate Navigation Manual
Ultimate Navigation Manual
by Lyle Brotherton

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book but . . ., 20 Feb. 2012
Lyle Brotherton stated on page 192 of his book, the `Ultimate Navigation Manual' that, "my raison d'être in writing this work has been to make passage on foot safer for anyone, anywhere and at anytime in the world". In my view this means that precise and meticulous planning followed by safety-conscious execution are essential in order to become, as stated on the cover of the book, " . . . an expert navigator".

Although I have been walking in the fells and mountains of Cumbria and many other places throughout the world for 50+ years, I have learned a great deal from this book and I would recommend it to anyone who is serious about improving their navigation skills. In my view, it really is the ultimate navigation manual.

However, what bothers me is that I believe the same principles of precision, planning and execution are extremely important when it comes to writing/editing a book. Unfortunately, this is not the case with parts of this book (especially the first half) and you have to ask the question: what part did editors or proofreaders play in the production of this book? Without giving an extensive list, the errors I found include, for example, getting the cardinals of the compass wrong on page 57 of the book (where the diagram shows NNW twice rather than also showing NNE), and missing out numbers in a list on page 155 (the instructions jump from point 6 to point 8 - is there a step missing or has point 8 been incorrectly numbered?). What a great pity that the publishers, Collins, do not appear to have heard the expression, "to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar".

Professor Jim Maxon
Shap, Cumbria

20th February 2012

Belkin Surge Master 8-Way Tel/Fax/Modem Protection with 4m Cable
Belkin Surge Master 8-Way Tel/Fax/Modem Protection with 4m Cable
Offered by TheBigShip

4.0 out of 5 stars Good insurance!, 21 Sept. 2011
Having purchased two new laptops, we felt that we should protect them with a surge protector. The Belkin SurgeMaster certainly looks the business and fits under our desks very well indeed but I did not give the product 5 stars because until the surge progtector is actually needed, we won't know if it does what it is supposed to or not!

Shackleton's Way: Leadership Lessons from the Great Antarctic Explorer
Shackleton's Way: Leadership Lessons from the Great Antarctic Explorer
by Margot Morrell

3.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect Book, 21 Sept. 2011
The book arrived on time and was in good condition. But, rather than the hardback I ordered, I received a paper back. The suppliers were however good in that they refunded half the money I paid (including postage).

It's Easier to Reach Heaven Than the End of the Street: A Jerusalem Memoir
It's Easier to Reach Heaven Than the End of the Street: A Jerusalem Memoir
by Emma Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Middle East Insights, 19 May 2011
The book is outstanding in terms of being extremely balanced in the author's comments, views and observations pertaining to her life in Jerusalem in particular and the Middle East in general. Her insights were simply amazing.

Words from Calvary: Lent Study Guide (Cover to Cover Lent Study)
Words from Calvary: Lent Study Guide (Cover to Cover Lent Study)
by Trevor Partridge

4.0 out of 5 stars Lent Course, 15 April 2011
A very well written and thought-provoking Lent course that can be used with a small group or a person could use it on their own.

In God We Doubt: Confessions of a Failed Atheist
In God We Doubt: Confessions of a Failed Atheist
by John Humphrys

5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced and thought-provoking, 14 Mar. 2011
John Humhrys' book is simply outstanding and is written for 'believers' and 'non-believers' alike. If this book doesn't make you think then either your brain has gone to sleep or you are so fixed in your views that you are unable to grasp that there is the possibility of an alternative view! One of the best books I have read in a very long time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3