Profile for FelicityM > Reviews

Content by FelicityM

FelicityM

Sweet Poison (Lord Edward Corinth & Verity Brown Murder Mysteries)
Sweet Poison (Lord Edward Corinth & Verity Brown Murder Mysteries)

3.0 out of 5 stars Pity..., 1 April 2014
I thought perhaps this would be a fun book to read but unfortunately the characters, however hard they strive, fail to come alive and seem almost caricatures of the people of that time rather than living, breathing men and women threatened by the state of the world at that time. I simply can not believe that a convinced communist would have behaved as the heroine does, and the insinuations of brainlessness of many of the other characters is very off putting. A pity because some of the ideas were good but the plot seemed to lose its way rather often.

Under the Apple Boughs: (A Journey Through a West Country Year)
Under the Apple Boughs: (A Journey Through a West Country Year)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sparkling Country Gem., 27 Oct 2013
I read this book and suddenly realised that every story in it came alive and spoke of the West Country as I had lived there. I was back and smelt the lanes and fields, I heard the soft voices telling their tales and saw the villages, towns and people alive and vital as though through a suddenly opened door. The language and cadence of Peter Maughan's writing is gloriously evocative, and whether one is young or old these little gems of language can be read and re-read with the knowledge that, in his hands, the writing of true literature is not yet on its death bed.

Sir Humphrey of Batch Hall - plus The Famous Cricket Match (The Batch Magna Novels Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Life goes splendidly on in Batch Magna, 3 July 2013
I've just read this, the sequel to the Cuckoos of Batch Magna, in one gourmet gulp, having previously promised myself I would take it in long luxurious sips. But, as with the first book, once started I found it impossible to stop!

So often sequels leave one in morose disappointment, but in this sequel Cuckoos flies on in mad, idiosyncratic splendour. Who but Sir Humphrey would be talked into buying a famous Thames bridge? And what was going on in Cutterbach Wood? And why was Miss Wyndham on a 49 bus? Read this delicious continuation of the Batch Magna story and see - it will not let you down.

I seriously have to agree with what other Amazon reviewers have said about Peter Maughan's work. These books deserve to become classics of English literature.

Rat Poison (A Patrick Gillard and Ingrid Langley Mystery)
Rat Poison (A Patrick Gillard and Ingrid Langley Mystery)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rat Poison by Margaret Duffey, 30 Jun 2013
I was sorely disappointed with this book, Reading the reviews on the back I expected something better than the self-congratulatary, totally unbelievable, so-called members of SOCA portrayed in the rather lumpish story. I would hope that any member of our Police Forces who behaved as the two main characters in this novel would be kindly, and gently, dealt with by psychiatrists and nurses at a secure psychiatric hospital who would be able to treat their severe psychopathic symptoms. Hopefully their 5 children might then be protected for a little longer from the incipient violence their parents appear to take as normal.