Profile for Guerrilla_Urbane > Reviews

Guerrilla_Urbane (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Music and Words
Music and Words

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sweary fun, 18 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Music and Words (Audio CD)
Good sweary fun, but also a unique piece of art. Reminds me a lot of Derek and Clive, Ivor Cutler with a dash of Creature Comforts, except it's not very comforting- It's disturbing, sadistic, and hilarious actually. Listen to the first track 'a toast' for a great affirmation of any seasonal disaffectation you may be experiencing this Christmas time! The music is excellent too. This has been played constantly since It came through the post. Don't play if you have tender ears listening though!

Spider Kiss
Spider Kiss

4.0 out of 5 stars Rise and fall of a star., 2 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Spider Kiss (Kindle Edition)
Raw and brutal story of the rise of a rock 'n' roll behind the glitz and glamour. More than an element of truth in this, and still pertinent today.

Monsters Anonymous
Monsters Anonymous

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlocks the terrors from the darkest recesses of your mind ... In an entertaining and fun way!, 4 Dec. 2012
We all like a good scare ... Right? Well you'll like this. I did. Why did I like it? Well let me try and explain.

I grew up with a love of horror movies, the Classic monsters - the Mummy, zombies, were-cats, vampires, amphibious men; and my favourite of all - the classic British horrors of Hammer, and especially the portmanteau films of Amicus. The qualities that made these films so enjoyable are all distilled into this fabulous fun collection of short stories. That's fun with a capital F, as the author tells us in her introduction. All are given a voice and a chance to let their human sides speak of their weaknesses, which is a love of human flesh and blood usually!

Aside from this, there was quite a few of the stories that were very disturbing, in the best tradition of the genre. This was particularly in regard to what is usually termed 'body horror', and in particular a macabre twist on the biology of the female body. I'm not sure whether the author intended to take a feminist slant on the genre, as she states that we shouldn't read too much into the stories for hidden meanings etc. However, the stories are written in an honest voice from a female perspective, and I found that really refreshing.

A lot of these stories made me chuckle, especially the one tackling the necessity of office paperwork during a zombie apocalypse! Working in an office myself I found this hilarious!

If I was to be a wee bit critical I would like to have seen some of the shorter stories fleshed out a bit more, as the author is more than capable of holding the reader's attention over a longer span. However, these character vignettes were still enjoyable.

Overall, very enjoyable and fun reading. Enjoy!

CHARLEMAGNE - BY THE SWORD & THE CROSS
CHARLEMAGNE - BY THE SWORD & THE CROSS

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic hybrid of styles with Sir Christopher Lee, 28 Aug. 2010
I listened to the CD again the other day, and I really enjoyed it. Sir Christopher's voice is really rich and I love listening to it. The music is unique and to my mind blends the best of symphonic, metal, rock, pop, and opera styles. At times it reminded me of Queen and Bohemian Rhapsody, not that it's really like that, but simply because of the unique operatic style of singing blended with rock music. The booklet is good also, which I liked for giving me some of the background history to Charlemagne. Excellent!

Wanderlust: A History of Walking
Wanderlust: A History of Walking
by Rebecca Solnit

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book and tremendous scholarship!, 9 Sept. 2009
Where can one start in reviewing this excellent, wide-ranging, and fresh perspective on something as basic as walking?

The author writes with tremendous enthusiasm on something that many of us take for granted. In the process she draws some deep insights going to the heart of what it is to be bipedal in the world that the human race has created for itself. Parallels are drawn between the ability to walk upright and the evolution of the human intellect. Great philosophers and writers are mentioned who themselves walked as a means of stimulating their ideas and writings. Great thinkers such as Rousseau, Kierkegaard, and writers like William Wordsworth, Virginia Woolf, Charles Dickens, Mary Shelley, and Jane Austen to name but a few of those cited in the book who have walked and thought and wrote. Rebecca Solnit provides rich food for our imagination and understanding of walking in all its forms: from pilgrimage, procession, revolutionary marches and protests, urban street walking, rural walking, mountaineering (vertical walking!), walking as an art form; and more.

Indeed walking is seen as integral to our humanity - a basic 'right' to identify with, and explore our surrounding landscapes and cityscapes. The author identifies the conflict between this right and the 'privatization' of public space, and the spread of suburbia. Walking is the common language that animates our cities and streets, without which they would die.

This is a very personal view of walking, with many deep insights and marvellous quotes. One of my favourites is by the historian G M Trevelyan (1913):

"I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. When body and mind are out of gear (...) I know that I shall have only to call on my doctors and I shall be well again."

It is gratifying also, that the Scottish Rights of Way Society is acknowledged within the book as being the oldest surviving society contributing to safeguarding the public right of access.

This is a fascinating and thought provoking read, which will challenge whatever assumptions you may have about the subject matter. Expect to negotiate the "meadowlands of your imagination."

A Thing of Unspeakable Horror: The History of Hammer Films
A Thing of Unspeakable Horror: The History of Hammer Films
by Sinclair McKay

4.0 out of 5 stars Affectionate and readable tribute, 6 Sept. 2009
I really enjoyed this book. Hammer films were part of my childhood, and I have fond memories of watching Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, two great Hammer stars, as Dracula, the Mummy, Baron Frankenstein, Van Hesling, etc. during BBC2's summer Saturday horror double bill. Hammer's best days were behind them by that time though (late 70's) as horror films had moved away from the gothic to more realism and arguably more disturbng horrors like The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Omen, etc, which is the way Hammer horror films were viewed when the first appeared at first in the late 50's. Now we can look at them with affection as really harmless fairy tales. Sinclair McKay captures this perfectly as he affectionately reviews Hammer's heritage of horror, although not without pointing out the odd turkey they made as well. I've read some reviews of this which are critical of one or two points that are less than 100 % accurate. I must say that if this is the case I found that it in no way detracted from a very readable text that is injected liberally with humour but which is in no way disrespectful of a company that did so much for the British film industry and whose team of professionals produced some of the most iconic films in the horror genre. The author also includes a wide range of comments from the actors, screenwriters, directors, and production team from his own research as well as quoting from some of the more scholarly works on Hammer by other authors. A great read in my view.