Profile for Old Tyke > Reviews

Content by Old Tyke

Old Tyke (Yorkshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
LARGE CHINESE CANVAS ART BIRDS AND FLOWERS BLUE TONED BOX CANVAS 30 X 20 INCHES READY TO HANG
Offered by Dartmoor Prints and Gifts ™

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love this. The colours are beautiful, 27 Mar. 2015
I absolutely love this. The colours are beautiful, it makes a real statement. It was delivered in only 2 days, excellent service.

LARGE ORIENTAL CANVAS ART BIRDS PLUM BLOSSOM PAINTING A1
LARGE ORIENTAL CANVAS ART BIRDS PLUM BLOSSOM PAINTING A1
Offered by PenguinPrint Canvas™

4.0 out of 5 stars Great service., 25 Mar. 2015
This was ordered late on friday night, and delivered on Monday morning! My husband absolutely loves it, I am not so sure, but it was his choice!
Since I wrote the above, I have moved the canvas from the lounge to the kitchen, and I love it in there. Just goes to prove, a picture has to be in the right place!

Nintendo Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board - Black (Wii)
Nintendo Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board - Black (Wii)

5.0 out of 5 stars It works beautifully., 22 Mar. 2015
My old balance board gave up the ghost after 13 yrs, I ordered this, £50 cheaper than the original price! It works beautifully.

Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery
Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery
by Henry Marsh

5.0 out of 5 stars A very satisfying read., 20 Mar. 2015
I didn't want this book to end. I picked it up by chance in the library , recognising the title as being from the Hippocratic Oath. I found it totally absorbing, and recognised an "Old School" consultant who feels frustrated with the way care is taking second place to multiple layers of management in the NHS.
There is a certain amount of blowing his own trumpet, but why not? And he doesn't spare himself from telling of his mistakes, which in brain surgery are usually catastrophic. His operating theatre is informal and and jovial, but when he visits another hospital he bristles at a silent theatre staff who don't appear overwhelmed by his presence. I recognise the type.
As a retired physio I was au fait with most of the anatomy, but I don't think the lay person should be put off. It shows a surgeon , warts and all. The difficulty of losing a patient, and the decisions that have to be made as to whether to intervene. None of which are taken lightly. I can only hope that when he retires, we get another volume.

Rick Stein's Spain: 140 New Recipes Inspired by My Journey Off the Beaten Track
Rick Stein's Spain: 140 New Recipes Inspired by My Journey Off the Beaten Track
by Rick Stein

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting fare., 8 Mar. 2015
I love Rick Stein, his Far Eastern Odyssey and India books are my favourite "Go to" books. I bought this on impulse after enjoying the tv series, and swayed by the fact it was only a fiver!
It is written in his usual approachable style. The photography is beautiful. I suppose what puts me off, is the abundance of seafood recipes, clams,salt cod,oh and rabbit. I'm sure it all tastes delicious, I suspect I need to sit down , and really read through the recipes and experiment a bit.

Wolf Hall [DVD]
Wolf Hall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Damian Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully acted., 8 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Wolf Hall [DVD] (DVD)
I have watched the box set over this weekend. If anything, I have enjoyed it more than the series on tv. You notice things that went under the radar on watching it the first time. Now, being familiar with the "quietness" of Rylance's portrayal, you sense the intelligence and calculation of Cromwell. Although I felt he looked nothing like the Holbein portrait, in the scene where he was sitting for the portrait, Rylance did bear a resemblance , albeit more refined. His acting is superb.
Although she is a very good actress, I did feel that Claire Foy was miscast. Physically not fine enough boned, and Anne Boleyn did not have blue eyes. Having said that, the final scenes on the scaffold were very well done.
Damien Lewis makes a very good Henry.Beautifully underplayed.
I think that this is the BBC at it's best. The attention to detail, down to ordering tapestries of the period to be remade, costumes, not totally exquisite a la "Tudors," , but probably more authentic. And who knew men doffed their caps from the back?

Weightwatchers MoveMore: Real members, Real Results
Weightwatchers MoveMore: Real members, Real Results
Offered by Big-Market

2.0 out of 5 stars It must be about the worst fitness dvd I have had, 30 Dec. 2014
I got this in a charity shop. It must be about the worst fitness dvd I have had. The instructor is absolutely devoid of personality, and there is no attempt to warn of which exercise is coming next. The 3 women doing it with her don't look as though they are enjoying it. The music is far from stimulating. If you want something to enjoy then pick Rosemary Conley,.

The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries
The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries
by Hairy Bikers

3.0 out of 5 stars More suited to beginners., 9 Dec. 2014
Now don't get me wrong, I only paid £5 for this book, but although it is beautifully produced, I still feel disappointed in this book. It doesn't, for me, have the appeal of their Asian book.
Several things contribute to this. Their inclusion of ready made pastes. Of course if you get home from work tired you won't be up for making your own paste, but it is easy enough to do abit of chopping/ mixing/toasting for a couple of hours a month and freeze your results.(This is where Rick Stein's excellent books score points) And once you've made your own pastes and curry powder, you won't go back to the ready made stuff.
Yes they give a recipe for garam masala, but their over reliance on it in recipes as one of the main ingredients, instead of a condiment is just lazy.
There is no mention either of cooking out the masala until the oil separates, which is essential to the taste of the spices.
If you are looking for authentic Indian/Asian fare, then I would stick to Rick Stein, Madhur Jaffrey, both of who write for enthusiasts, this book I would say is more suited to those who are just begining to tip their toes into Far Eastern cuisine.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2015 1:02 AM GMT

China Modern: 100 Cutting-Edge, Fusion-Style Recipes for the 21st Century
China Modern: 100 Cutting-Edge, Fusion-Style Recipes for the 21st Century
by Ching-He Huang

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you are new to cooking Chinese food., 17 Nov. 2014
This is the only book by Ching I haven't got, and I paid very little for it second hand via Amazon. There are more fusion recipes than her other books, as she has gravitated more to authentic cuisine as she has gone along. The Kung Po chicken is different to her other 2 recipes, and my favourite of the 3.
I must admit that this is her book I use the least as I too gravitate towards authentic cuisine, but it would make a good starter book for someone just dipping their toe into Chinese cooking.

Hamlyn QuickCook: 50 Recipes: A free taster of the new cookery series