ARRAY(0xb0e486a8)

Profile for Judith Mccafferty > Reviews

Content by Judith Mccafferty

Judith Mccafferty (Yorkshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Reza's Indian Spice
Reza's Indian Spice
by Reza Mahammad
Price: 12.23

4.0 out of 5 stars I love Reza, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Reza's Indian Spice (Hardcover)
I came across Reza's series on the Food network. Then I saw he'd brought out a new book I have his first) If you have the spices available then do try his recipes. You need to take time to do them. But they are delicious!

Scottish Dough Scraper Black Plastic Handle Stiff Metal Blade - 15.2cm Pastry Cooking
Offered by Bar Equipment Direct
Price: 2.80

5.0 out of 5 stars As required by Paul Hollywood., 2 Feb 2013
It does what it says on the tin really, You can scrape up everything from the work surface, cut dough into equal amounts.

Spice Trip: The Simple Way to Make Food Exciting
Spice Trip: The Simple Way to Make Food Exciting
by Stevie Parle
Price: 12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book!, 2 Feb 2013
I looked at this book , (after reading the reviews and watching the tv series) in WHS, this is my normal way of assessing whether or not I want a book. There is no way I would have payed full price for this book. Even at the original price, which was around 10 I wouldn't have considered it. Then I saw it was 4.99 and I thought , well what the hell! I am so glad I did!
I enjoyed the series, but being a paper snob, I disliked the book on "feel" alone. The pages feel cheap. However,the recipes, photography and background info are brilliant! I particularly love the "medicinal"uses of the spices.
I shall try the recipes and report back

Daffodil WMS335B Wireless Optical Mouse 2.4GHz - Cordless 3 Button PC Mouse with Scrollwheel and Adjustable Sensitivity (MAX DPI: 2000) - For Laptop / Netbook / Desktop Computers - Supported by: Microsoft Windows (8 / 7 / XP / Vista) and Apple MAC (OS X +) - Battery Powered (1xAA Inc.)
Offered by Daffodil UK
Price: 12.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value., 19 Jan 2013
I ordered this mouse because of price, and good reviews on thursday afternoon. It was estimated to arrive next wednesday. It was in fact delivered today (saturday)It comes with battery, plug in the usb and off you go. It performs as well as the microsoft mouse I bought which was 10 dearer.

Andrew James Powerful 300 Watt Red Hand Mixer With Chrome Beaters, Dough Hooks, 5 Speed With Turbo Button + Bonus Balloon Whisk
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD
Price: 39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A belting little machine!, 28 Dec 2012
I have had this machine for about 4 weeks now. It's a long time since I had a hand held mixer, I have a Kenwood which I use for bread. However, due to the Great British Bake Off, I had a yen to get one again, and as all my small appliances are red, I sent for the red one. Delivery was delayed but this firm's customer service was onto it straight away, and they do a nice line in emails!
The machine itself is excellent, much quieter than I expected, and the beaters make a meringue in no time at all. I noticed the difference in texture in my cakes from day 1. I would agree that the dough hooks are not really much cop. I did try a small brioche dough and gave up. I haven't used the whisk either, but then the beaters are so good I don't need to. I haven't had any trouble fitting or ejecting the beaters, it's easy to see which one goes where. Is there a drawback? Well only one, it's so easy to use, the supply of cakes has increased, and you have to eat them, don,t you?
I have since used the whisk attatchment for a yorkshire pudding and it worked well.

How to Bake
How to Bake
by Paul Hollywood
Price: 9.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A lifetime on the hips!, 26 Oct 2012
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
I have been baking my own bread for many years, albeit making it with my Kenwood mixer.I bought this book, primarily for the sourdough recipes. To be honest my efforts in that department are still a work in progress! But the way I look at it, I need to practice, you aren't fluent in a language after 1 lesson. My wholemeal bread however is a big improvement on the machine made. I love the way you feel the dough change under your hands,and the taste is FAR better for the cool water and slow rise.
The wetness of the dough would have sent me to extra flour once upon a time, but having seen how Paul handles the dough on his masterclass gave me the confidence to leave it that way and it gets results.
The lemon drizzle cake is delicious! Too delicious, and my scones, well lets just say I can't keep the tin full! I have always been disappointed in my scones, but the first time I made them from this book, not only were they light and fluffy, the rise was incredible!
The one big draw back of this book? Well it has to be that you eat everything.It needs willpower not to scoff the lot the minute it's made!

Exploring China: A Culinary Adventure: 100 recipes from our journey
Exploring China: A Culinary Adventure: 100 recipes from our journey
by Ken Hom
Price: 18.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a cookbook., 16 Aug 2012
I too won a signed copy from Facebook. This book is not just by Ching,there is an equal input from Ken Hom,the Godfather of Chinese cooking in the West. What I like is the dialogue about each region of China in addition to the recipes,beautiful photography and of course the recipes. I never really cooked noodles as a dish before, just used them as an alternative to rice,but now I am doing dishes with them as the starring role! I particlarly liked the Beijing/Sichuan Zhajiang noodles. Most dishes I have tried contain ginger ,chilli,chilli bean sauce,szechuan peppercorns, sorry but none could be described as bland, they are multilayered spicy delights which are a joy to the palate.Taste after all is subjective,I would not entertain a vindaloo tho I can eat hotter curries than most!
Yes this book necessitated a trip to a Chinese supermarket as I live in rural East Yorkshire, but I am one happy camper! Several of the pages are already splashed,sign of a good book.

Still Game: The Complete Series 1-6 Plus Christmas and Hogmanay Specials [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paul Riley
Price: 23.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Priceless!, 15 Mar 2012
This just has to be the best present I ever bought my husband. When there is nothing on tv (most of the time these days) it's a guaranteed laugh.

The Red Queen (Cousins War 2)
The Red Queen (Cousins War 2)
by Philippa Gregory
Price: 3.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a let down!, 15 Mar 2012
Normally I cannot put a novel by Philippa Gregory down and often read them at one sitting, but this one has been on the go for almost a week.(And I still have 200 pages to go!) The reason? Well the heroine is so unappealing. She's totally self absorbed, and her thoughts seem to have very little factual basis. The story is pedestrian, and even boring , something I never thought I would be able to say about this author. I looked forward to this after reading the White Queen, I'm just glad I got it from the library and didn't buy it.

Mrs Brown's Boys - Series 2 [DVD] [2012]
Mrs Brown's Boys - Series 2 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Brendan O'Carroll
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly laugh out loud., 9 Mar 2012
Apart from the last episode , which I thought wasn't up to par, I thought that this series was even better than the first. The "organisms" and the "condoms" conversations were the funniest tv I have seen in years. I wish we didn't have to wait till may to get the dvd, Downton abbey was available straight away. Here's hoping to another series.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2012 3:52 AM BST