ARRAY(0xafa441a4)

Profile for Judith Mccafferty > Reviews

Content by Judith Mccafferty

Judith Mccafferty (Yorkshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Easy Bake Coven
Easy Bake Coven

5.0 out of 5 stars Not my usual read, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Easy Bake Coven (Kindle Edition)
I would not have selected this book on its description. In fact I thought it was about baking! But from the first I was drawn into the story. It kept me enthralled throughout. I can't wait to read the next book.

Tarot Angel Cards
Tarot Angel Cards

2.0 out of 5 stars An amusing pastime, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Tarot Angel Cards (App)
I have a firm belief in Angels, but this app does not have the authenticity that Angel cards do. The range of cards to.use is relatively small and thre positions stay the same. Angel cards rely on your input, this app is automated.

Serpent's Kiss: Number 2 in series (Witches of the East)
Serpent's Kiss: Number 2 in series (Witches of the East)
by Melissa de la Cruz
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my normal sort of read but., 31 Oct 2013
Lately I have been reading undemanding Regency novels whilst waiting for a hip replacement, my attention span not being what it was. I picked this up from the library,the title promisinga bit of stimulation.I was however drawn in to the story which increasingly became obvious as being a nod to some of my favourite operas, ie The Ring Cycle. Altho I love the music, I am not at all familiar with the story behind it.But from the first bells were ringing.
Now you don.t need to know anything about opera to enjoy this novel, but if you have an incling about Wagner,s Ring Cycle then the references to the characters draw you in.
Having said that,you can just enjoy the story, knowing nothing about the background,which stands on it.s own.
I need to get the previous novel, and look forward to the next one. A thoroughly good read!

Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking
Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking
by Fuchsia Dunlop
Price: 16.75

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 23 Oct 2013
Now first off, I must confess I got this book much cheaper from the Book People when they had a post free weekend! It had been on my wishlist for a long while.
The first recipe I did was the Chicken and black beans. What a revelation! So different from recipes in other popular books!Every recipe I've done has been delicious. This is how the Chinese eat, not a Western version. There is an absence for instance of my favourite yellow bean sauce.It doesn't merit a mention in ingredients.
The vegetable recipes are especially good.
Do try the braised chicken with chestnuts. Who knew chestnuts were a native crop of China?
The slow cooked beef brisket with berries is wonderful.
My next mission is to source tofu "bamboo" at the Chinese supermarket in Hull
This is a recipe book for those who like authentic cuisine, not if you want to eat what most Chinese restaurant serve up for a British palate. And it's all the better for that.

Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
by Anjum Anand
Price: 12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Anjum book., 23 Oct 2013
Now I must confess that I got this for much less from the Book People when they had a post free weekend! I have 3 of Anjum's other books , (I heart curry being my favourite) It started me cooking Indian food and I haven't been back to a restaurant since.
Now I'm not a vegetarian, but my eldest son is, and I originally bought it for him, fat chance! I shall buy another copy! I am lucky in that I live a couple of miles from a large Indian supermarket, so ingredients are not a problem. Several pages of this book are already splattered! Always a good sign!Even OH (who is a convinced carnivore) has relished recipes from this book. Especially the chickpea burgers!
Alot of the recipes are fusion, which will not please purists, but they are scrummy!
If you are looking to cut down on meat and you love Indian food, then this is the book for you.(I do however , in a nod to health, cut down the amount of oil)

Rick Stein's India
Rick Stein's India
by Rick Stein
Price: 12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant follow-up to his Far Eastern Odyssey, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Rick Stein's India (Hardcover)
The only other book I have by RS is his Far Eastern Odyssey, which quickly became my favourite cookbook, evidenced by the splatters and stains on many pages. I think this book will give it a run for it's money, (tho it won't necessitate a morning each month chopping ingredients to make pastes to freeze down). I already use the garam masala recipe from the last book, but was pleased to see an accessible recipe for chaat masala, and the Tibetan chilli sauce is wonderful! In fact the "extras " at the back of the book are almost my favourite bit!
I have done a couple of the prawn recipes which were spot on, and will work my way through the many recipes that I have marked with post it notes.The book is better than the tv serieswhich I must admit I did not find as entertaining as the Far Eastern one. Yes you need to do alot of prep, it's not like adding Patak's paste, but the end result is worth it, and to be honest, if you love Indian food, then you won't find it a chore.

I have now watched the series repeated on tv over the last week or so, and I have to backtrack massively! I can only suppose my mood was not the greatest when I watched it the first time. I thoroughly enjoyed it this time , tho I still prefer the FEO. I have done numerous recipes and all have turned out beautifully.In fact I have never been to an Indian restaurant since I started cooking my own over the past few years (TY Madhur,Anjum and Rick)
The only thing I would say, that in a nod to health, I cut down the amount of oil used.I am lucky in that I live 2 miles from an Indian supermarket, and when I go this weekend I will see if I can track down the few things I have been unable to source so far.

Family Farm Seaside
Family Farm Seaside

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish I hadn't bothered, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Family Farm Seaside (App)
I downloaded this on my kindle (after a few wines!) What a waste of time it is. Slow and unresponsive and I'm having trouble removing it. Stick to Family Farm!

What Stays in Vegas
What Stays in Vegas
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Great holiday reading, 28 July 2013
This is ideal for when you are away .Undemanding, easy to read and entertaining. One for the girls,it makes no pretence at being literature, but will keep you interested without taxing the brain.

The Hypnotic Gastric Band(CD+DVD)
The Hypnotic Gastric Band(CD+DVD)
by Paul McKenna
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be working!, 27 May 2013
I have yet to reach the end of this dvd! I play it when I go to bed and fall asleep before the end. Last week I was very stressed but listened every night. I ate what I wanted, (includinga pork pie) , but found I didn't binge, and today I have lost 2lb! What I need to do is get rid of the guilt of eating what is restricted on diets and enjoy losing weight eating what I like! I shall report back in a couple of months.

Andrew James Coffee, Nut and Spice Grinder - Powerful 150Watt, Stainless Steel Blades
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD
Price: 29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking spice grinder!, 22 Mar 2013
I ordered this grinder, because of the price. reviews, and because I have bought a hand mixer from Andrew James and the product and the service were both excellent.
It arrived the day after it was dispatched. The grinder itself is very efficient, much more so than my last one.It reduces spices to a fine powder with little effort, and because the bowl is fairly shallow, I find it easy to get the ground spice out of it. I am made up with it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5