Profile for slave4u73@hotmail.com > Reviews

International Velvet
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.72

5.0 out of 5 stars best record in the whole wide world ever, 13 Jan 2002
This review is from: International Velvet (Audio CD)
This record changed my life. No, it really did. Some might say that Catatonia "sold out" when they made this album, but if this is what selling out does, I only wish more bands would do it. From the opening guitars of the ultimate pop tune "Mulder and Scully" the album goes from strength to strength. The melodies are beauties, there are so many textures of sounds and the lyrics can mess with your head more than any intoxicating substances. And I know its been said before, but Cerys' voice is so beautiful and can move me to tears if I'm not making futile attempts to imitate it. Each song is an absolute masterpiece on its own, from the very original and understated "Goldfish And Paracetemol" to the gorgeous songs that deserve to be up with the best of power ballads, "Strange Glue" and "My Selfish Gene". Its a great shame that people put Catatonia down so much and didn't actually listen to the music, because they had something very very special. All of the albums are great, but this one is just better than amazing. I'd give it 5 million stars if I could. Buy it.

To Hell and Back with "Catatonia"
To Hell and Back with "Catatonia"
by Brian Wright
Price: 10.74

4.0 out of 5 stars sweet, but could do better, 13 Jan 2002
I actually found this book really interesting, particularly the detailed documentation of the band's early days. Furthermore, the authour has managed to weave his personal experiences into the book whilst relating them to Catatonia and not appearing too corny or predictable. However, I would say that it appears that Mr. Wright has "borrowed" a number of quotations and comments without seeming to credit them. I know that this isn't entirely unheard of in the world of books, but it's pretty obvious if you're a sad superfan like me who has nothing better to do than read and re-read various Catatonia articles, and you recognise certain things that are written. It doesn't make the book awful, but I can't help thinking that he could have been a bit more original, given that he feels so passionately about the band. All in all, though, a pretty decent biography with an interesting viewpoint on how people who you don't know can change your life.