Profile for Mariko > Reviews

Content by Mariko

Mariko

Filthy Shades of Gray
Filthy Shades of Gray

4.0 out of 5 stars First three quarters a hoot, last quarter - what happened?, 15 Aug. 2012
The first three quarters were hilarious. The author doesn't give the original any chance of redemption - you'll be laughing at the mocking undertone paired up with the crappier aspects of British culture. I must agree though, who needs a high end hotel room when you have Premier Inn? Hats off to Chris Gray there.

The last quarter definitely handles some mature, messed up stuff. If you thought the sex scenes before this part were gross enough (I know I grimaced, albeit still feeling amused), it gets so graphic it's not even funny. Those who are offended easily should probably stop reading at this point.

Although the last quarter of the book takes a massive turn for the worse - far too dark and depressing for a parody, in my opinion - it's the pages before that make it worth the read. They'll literally make you laugh out loud.

In summary, well written parody, just wish you hadn't taken the characters so seriously that the story stopped being funny!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2012 2:41 PM BST

BRITA Maxtra Water Filter Cartridges - 4 Pack
BRITA Maxtra Water Filter Cartridges - 4 Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin., 27 Dec. 2011
I usually buy these cartridges in stores, but I couldn't pass off the value of buying it from Amazon. BRITA MAXTRA filters are amazing. I've never used non-BRITA filters, to be honest, but they will take most of the hardness out of the water.

This is great if you don't like the flavour of tap water. Also, using filtered water will obviously decrease the rate of limescale buildup in appliances such as your kettle or iron.

Although the metre on your jug probably starts flashing "NEW" after a month of using these cartridges I've found that you can kind of stretch one cartridge over a period of 1.5 months.

Sally Hansen Kwik Off Acetone Free Nail Colour Remover Fresh Lemon Scent
Sally Hansen Kwik Off Acetone Free Nail Colour Remover Fresh Lemon Scent

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing stuff that takes off your nail polish in seconds., 8 Mar. 2011
You get a sponge inside a tub of this product, soaked in excess nail polish. All you do is put your finger into the centre of the sponge and rotate your finger around until the sponge has rubbed off all your nail polish.

Advantages: Very quick at removing nail polish, even more effective than acetone nail removers but without the acetone, great at taking off polishes with small bits of glitter.

Disadvantages: Extremely strong smelling, big chunky glitter won't come off very easily and will shred the sponge, can be drying on the nails so I recommend using a normal nail polish remover if you aren't attempting to remove glitter or dark colours from your nails.

To be honest though, big chunky glitter is a nightmare to remove in the first place, so I didn't take off a star for that.

Also - don't do what I did and accidentally tip over the tub because some of the remover WILL spill out! Definitely worth the money, and should last long enough. You can always refill it with nail polish remover of your choice once it's empty.

True Blood Volume 1: All Together Now
True Blood Volume 1: All Together Now
by David Tischman

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointing, even for a hardcore Truebie., 8 Mar. 2011
I am a huge fan of the True Blood series - obviously I've watched all episodes so far, but I've also read every Sookie Stackhouse novel written by Charlaine Harris. I read in another review online that this book was relatively enjoyable for fans of the TV series, so I decided to order a copy for myself to peruse.

I won't give too much away (hopefully) but these are the reasons why I didn't enjoy it very much:

1. The storyline is rather bland. As others have said, for a wacky supernatural series such as TB, not much happens in this book. Most of it involves each character sitting around in the bar and telling stories.

2. I found the illustrations beautiful but the characters lacking in facial emotions. Some of the human characters watch as their friends are killed in front of them without their fear registering in their faces.

3. It annoys me that each of the characters (especially Sookie) can look very similar to their human counterparts on one page, and then look drastically different on another. I wouldn't mind if Sookie didn't look like Anna Paquin at all, so long as the difference was kept constant!

In conclusion: It was interesting for a first time read, but I doubt I'll ever pick it up again. I don't think it was worth the money. Borrow someone else's copy or read it online if you can.