Profile for Marylebone member > Reviews

Content by Marylebone member

Marylebone member (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Making Connections Address Book (Desk)
Making Connections Address Book (Desk)
by Peter Pauper Press

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 18 Jun. 2015
This took forever to arrive but it was worth waiting for because it's exactly what I wanted. It's amazing how difficult it is to find a decent sized address book, with enough pages, the right kind of layout, decent paper quality and A-Z thumb indexing. Almost like trying to run down the perfect kettle or toaster - you think it will be simple, but it isn't!

A Scandalous Life: The Biography of Jane Digby (Text only)
A Scandalous Life: The Biography of Jane Digby (Text only)

4.0 out of 5 stars A totally absorbing read, 18 Jun. 2015
I really enjoyed reading this book. Towards the end I got a tiny bit bogged down with the detail, so it lost a star. But I would firmly recommend it as an absorbing read and not at all 'heavy'. The story of Jane's life was astounding and such an adventure. I was full of admiration for her sheer guts and joie de vivre, even though you sometimes shake your head at her mad love-life. I also appreciated the author's careful research and efforts to find out the real truth about her subject. The style is light but the standard of investigation is serious.
A side issue was the remarkable descriptions of Damascus and Baghdad as beautiful and lively cities to live in, when nowadays we just tend to think of them as desperate war zones. Particularly poignant to read about Palmyra in the light of current events. And also striking to discover how local conflict and feuding was an ancient way of life that everyone seemed to accept as an integral part of the area's culture, accommodated according to broadly acknowledged 'rules of engagement'.

The Gourlay Girls (The Clydesiders Trilogy Book 2)
The Gourlay Girls (The Clydesiders Trilogy Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Either it ran out of steam or I did, 18 Jun. 2015
I've now read the first and second books of this trilogy but I don't think I'll be bothering with the third. The story of Virginia, Nicholas, Wincey and the Gourlays is basically an excellent yarn and the characters are often well drawn. So I enjoyed a lot of it. But about half way through the Gourlay Girls my interest began to wane and my impatience to grow. I became weary of the dialect speech device and conscious that the whole storyline was being drawn out, so as to fill more pages. I also started to detect odd instances of what seemed to me like padding; repetitious bits of text or self-conscious bits of 'local colour'. So I ended up scooting through the last quarter just to 'find out what happened', never a good sign when reading a book! When the final pages shunted the central denouement over into the final book in the trilogy, I shrugged my shoulders and realised I didn't really much care any more.

Restoration
Restoration

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally wonderful, 30 April 2015
This review is from: Restoration (Kindle Edition)
Possibly the best book by the wonderful Rose Tremain (they're all so good) and in my opinion a candidate for one of the best books ever. I've read it twice now and may read it a third time. I VERY rarely do that. I also searched out an obscure and not that wonderful film on DVD, just because I couldn't resist it. It's gripping, humane, it makes you laugh and cry. One of those books where you feel genuinely bereft when it ends and you've lost the company of the central character, Merivel. Which I guess is why she wrote the almost equally great sequel. A milestone book for me.

iStyle 1-Piece 30 x 40 x 0.5 cm Glass iStyle Peppers Glass Worktop Saver, Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, 9 April 2015
I bought this one and the similar one in lime. We love them both but particularly this orange one which really brightens up the worktop. Good value.

Creative Tops Royal Botanic Gardens Kew Redoute Meadow Cork-Backed Placemats, Set of 6
Offered by Perfect Plants Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too subtle for me, 9 April 2015
I bought these and the matching coasters and I have to say I was underwhelmed. Not disappointed enough to return them. They are pretty and of decent quality. But the design is very subdued. Even their own outside packaging indicates that the colours are vibrant. However the background is not bright white, more a soft cream. And the flowers are very muted. If you want a gentle pastel effect then you will like them a lot. But if you wanted something fresh and colourful, as I did, well they aren't.

Casio gold plated digital watch LA670WGA-1DF
Casio gold plated digital watch LA670WGA-1DF

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money or the angst, 25 Mar. 2015
This was a terrible disappointment. It's quite pretty. Although the band is flimsy compared to the watch, only the wearer would know that. But setting it up is a nightmare. I had to check on YouTube to work out how to adjust the band. It's not difficult but there are no instructions. (And you can't detach the surplus so you are left with a long bit of band underneath). However the instructions on setting date, time, alarm and so on, and how to then make the time display your default, are completely impenetrable.
The tiny instruction booklet means that you need a strong light and, ideally, a magnifying glass to read it anyway. Then you discover it's not worth the effort. The English is often really old-fashioned bad . (Even the title of the booklet is MODULE No 3191 rather than MODEL No..... (And in any case surely that's not the model number?) Doesn't inspire confidence from the start.
The sequence of instructions within is not logical (you would not want to set the alarm first?) And it darts about between topics as well. Plus they're often so condensed that they're unintelligible. If you love fiddling about with technology and making things work then this might be OK. But if you just want a watch that will work within 15 minutes of opening the box then forget it. Very sadly I am chucking mine in the bin (what a waste of money) and will go off to a proper shop with a real person. Or buy online from a company who vet their suppliers and have decent customer services.

Fortunes of France: The Brethren
Fortunes of France: The Brethren

4.0 out of 5 stars Roll on the next instalment, 10 Mar. 2015
I really enjoyed reading this and it was quite a shock when I got to the end. I wanted to carry on following the characters. Which is exactly how it should be with the first book in a saga. It's very reminiscent of Maurice Druon's series which I also loved. Looking forward to the next translation being published.

Partywear Kurta Tunics Long Kurti Top Size XL
Partywear Kurta Tunics Long Kurti Top Size XL
Offered by Rajrang

3.0 out of 5 stars A blouse rather than tunic, 10 Mar. 2015
It would have got four stars is it hadn't been somewhat small. It fits, but a bit too snugly to be the loose top it's designed to be. Material and style are fine.

Yoga-Mad Exer-Soft Ball 7" Blue
Yoga-Mad Exer-Soft Ball 7" Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly useful back support, 27 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Exer-soft ball (Sports)
I bought this to use in some exercises but by accident I discovered that it is also the most perfect back support. Partially inflate it and place it behind the bottom of your spine when in front of your computer. Then lean gently against it and say goodbye to any lumbar aches and pains while you're sitting. Miraculous. I couldn't do without it now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4