Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for O. Farooq > Reviews

Content by O. Farooq

O. Farooq "HeadBanger" (Manchester)

Andy C Presents Nightlife
Andy C Presents Nightlife

5.0 out of 5 stars So Dirty Makes Late Night TV Look Clean, 13 Feb. 2007
I Don't usually write reviews but I was so impressed I thought I'd write one. A confession of mine is that I have not been into D&B very long at all: 3 months. I entered via the scenic route i.e. laid back jazzy drum and bass, so called 'Commercial', I think. My current music collection comprises of electronic/dance/house as well as the usual indie. Anyway someone handed me this album and I was nearly blown away. I didn't think I was into the 'big' bass full-on route, until now.

The album opens pretty tame, but soon the beast is unleashed. Angry beats, dirty basslines and fast mixing - its a sure winner with drum and bass heads! The mixing in this album is spot on - sometimes it's impossible to notice whether the song has actually ended. A favourite track of mine on the album is the amazing Basement Track.

Reviewer below commented that the 'second half of the album ran out of steam' or W.T.T.E. I found the album to be consistant all the way through although later tracks are slightly more laid back and soulful.

If your new to drum and bass don't start with this. Although it's very good, it's not extremely accessible. Start with the downloading the Hospital Records Podcast (google it). If your a crazy ass drum and bass fan buy it and annoy the neighbours.

Global Underground - 10
Global Underground - 10

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad...good...bad, 25 July 2006
This review is from: Global Underground - 10 (Audio CD)
I was out to find simply a mixed dance CD and came across this. I usually avoid compilations with a large number of tracks as it indicates quantity and not quality. Thought:why not? It was advertised on the telly, cant be that bad. I didnt know what GU was or what to expect. I will be reviewing this album on the merits of the music and not on the music combined with experiences at parties etc. Unfortunatley I am not old enough to have been to GU parties.

CD 1: A few sprinklings of good music. Nothing exciting or inspiring= Dissapointment

CD 2: Slightly better...but not much= grim reception to CD 3

CD 3: At first it was dismissed as being under par again! But after listening to it a few times it becomes much more interesting. I absolutely love the marathon from tracks 1-5. After, it fizzes into tittle-tattle before trying one last time to impress at the end.

Ironically CD 3 87-95, the 'eldest' is definately the best!

Im not sure whether the tracks are classics or not...although a few e.g. Lustral do sound like classics. Others sound like absolute garbage. The compilation is a mix of banging house, prog house, trance and dated house.

The mixing in most places is spot on and the track order has been well thought out. Despite a few instances of eye-brow raising vocals and poor mixing this compilation still deserves 3 stars.

If your a GU fan it may be worth buying. If not then i would avoid and find another compilation. Try Renaissance:Sasha and Digweed
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2009 12:27 PM BST

Buzzin' Fly Volume 1 - Mixed by Ben Watt
Buzzin' Fly Volume 1 - Mixed by Ben Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars A non biased review!, 29 Mar. 2006
okay. This album is very soulful,hence the name. If you are into the darker/dirtier sounds you may not like it. If your into general house, its a great buy.
The beat matching/mixing is second to none, not any of that usual computer mixing crap.
Every song is good, with a few really ace ones like the Passion Dance Orchestra.
It sounds sophisticated and jazzy with quite a few piano riffs.
Although Ben Watt is associated with deep house, this album is a mix of deep and soulful house.
If you want banging deep house look else where.
Packaging is very nice, but a little bit flimsy. Take care or else their will be tears.
In summary: A laidback, jazzy, sexy, deep/vocal house album that wont disappoint.
Well done to Amazon for great service and speedy delivery!