Profile for Herry Van Ruerk > Reviews

Content by Herry Van Ruerk

Herry Van Ruerk (Newcastle, England)

Sam & Max Season One (PC)
Sam & Max Season One (PC)
Offered by gamesdvdscdstoysandsports

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, I'm certainly glad they're back!, 3 Jan 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is just a quick one because the other positive reviews have already done a great job in explaining just how good Season One is, but I enjoyed catching up with Sam and Max again so much I just had to have my say too.

I guess like a lot of people who bought this I was a huge fan of Sam and Max Hit The Road when it came out way back when and I was so pleased to find out that TellTale and Jowood were reviving everyone's favourite freelance police. I was even happier when I found out that there wouldn't just be one or two but SIX new episodes to make up Season One.

OK, so each one isn't gonna win any titles for the longest point-and-click game in the world, but put them all together and you've got a fair few hours gameplay there.

The new graphics look great, the music is awesome, the interface is simple and very user-friendly, and the puzzles are a nice challenge (even if they aren't the most difficult ever, as others have mentioned). Most of all, it's really funny, very well-written, and put together by people who clearly love the characters and seem to have wanted to make new Sam and Max games that would have the feel of the original but update it for a modern audience of PC users.

If that really was their aim, I think they made an excellent job of it.
I can't wait for Season Two!

Audioslave
Audioslave
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Audioslave "Set it Off" with debut album!, 20 Nov 2002
This review is from: Audioslave (Audio CD)
Wow! This is an amazing album! I was, and still am, a huge fan of Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine so I had been eagerly awaiting the release of this one. Like others I was unsure of how Chris Cornell's voice would fit with the music, but after a mere minute of the album I realised how wrong I'd been! He always had a great voice, and it sounds as fantastic and emotional as ever. This should come as no surprise to Soundgarden fans of course, but what is surprising is how well it melds with the music.
This album is so much more than just Chris singing over the top of Rage riffs. Tom Morello, Brad Wilk, and Tim Commerford continue to sound innovative and inspiring, but have adapted their mucial direction somewhat to fit more closely with Chris's awesome voice. The Rage influence is still obvious of course (see opening track "Cochise" for a particualrly Rage-like example!), but there are some important differences which give "Audioslave" a sound all of their own. Some of those Tom Morello guitar sounds are truly amazing! They may have shed Rage's overt political edge, but Chris's existential lyrics are still extremely impressive and thought-provoking, and completely relevant to the here and now
In short, this is a magnificent album and one that remains an essential purchase for fans of Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine alike, but even for those of you who don't like these two bands, there is so much going on with this album that I would still recommend it. Let's just hope it isn't a one-off album like so many releases of such so-called "supergroups" can be.