Profile for Kingstonian > Reviews

Kingstonian (London, UK)

Broken
Broken

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 9 April 2012
This review is from: Broken (Audio CD)
I discovered Soulsavers by accident as I am a Dave Gahan/Depeche Mode fan, and am eagerly awaiting the release of their forthcoming collaboration, The Light The Dead See (the new single The Longest Day is great by the way). In the meantime spurred on by the good reviews I decided to try out this offering and was not disappointed. So far I have listened to it four or five times and it will be on my playlist for some time to come. Darkly beautiful and bluesy but somehow genre-defying. Lanegan is great on vocals. Stand-out track for me right now is "You will miss me when I burn" but others are great too. An antidote to the X factor-type bilge that clogs our airwaves these days.

Dead Man's Shoes [DVD] [2004]
Dead Man's Shoes [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Paddy Considine
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars character driven drama rooted in two great performances, 24 Oct. 2006
I will try not to be too effusive about this film since I would rather people see it to make up their own minds. But this is one of the few films of late that has grabbed my attention on the strength of the believable and powerful performances rather than big budget effects, form over substance. Real drama derives from human emotion, not grandiose cgi.

Paddy Considine's performance is great, the viewer fears him and sympathises with him equally. But Toby Kebbell steals the show. Great emotive soundtrack too.

Nuff said, do please see it and decide for yourselves.

Ultra
Ultra
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic despite some weaknesses, 8 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Ultra (Audio CD)
This album has had mixed reviews but in my opinion is up there in the top 3 mode albums. Clearly born of suffering this is what depeche mode are all about. Stand out tracks are Barrel of a Gun, It's no Good (in my opinion one of the best D.M. tracks) Freestate and sister of night. One or two fillers but that doesnt prevent this from being a great work