Profile for edwina > Reviews

Content by edwina

edwina

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be worn instead of foundation, 27 Dec 2011
A nice feel to this product. A little goes a long way so use with care. It does however give an unattractive shine, unlike other tinted moisturisers, so when the label says 'use with or without make-up', I'd advise using a powder over the top for a matte finish. Light and a great colour on my skin (I'm half Thai so have a yellow tint) and doesn't make my face look too fake. Would buy again!

BENEFIT COSMETICS you rebel SPF 15 tinted moisturiser
BENEFIT COSMETICS you rebel SPF 15 tinted moisturiser

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for uneven skin tone, 27 Dec 2011
Before this I used No. 7 tinted moisturiser and when I switched it was a little hard to get used to at first. It is very thick (almost like oil paint) but as I got used to the texture I started to really love this product. I use tinted moisturiser instead of foundation so 'you rebel' was a great way of getting full coverage without looking fake. I sometimes just mix it with my normal moisturiser to thin it out (it also makes it last longer!). It evens out my skin tone and goes well under my powder (barbara daly). Quite expensive so bought it as a treat but would definitely consider buying it again.

Clinique Even Better Skin Tone Corrector (Unboxed) - 30ml/1oz : Clinique Skincare

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but maybe not necessary?, 27 Dec 2011
I have uneven skin tone, as wel as having an oily T-Zone. I use this alongside the 'even better' moisturiser and have been for the last 6 months. The serum feels great on the skin and creates a great base for make-up, but for me perhaps an unnecessary step in my regime. I will buy the moisturiser again, but not the serum. Was a nice luxury as a present though.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my hair!, 27 Dec 2011
My hair feels constantly heavy but after using this shampoo it's given it a bounce that I haven't got from other volumizing shampoos. Smells amazing and it's nice to know I'm using natural ingredients and not a loads of unpronounceable chemicals. A bit more expensive than what I'd usually pay but it's well worth it, even if it's just a treat for a few months.

Ultra Light Pressed Powder - Warm
Ultra Light Pressed Powder - Warm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 27 Dec 2011
Was sceptical at first when I picked this up from Tesco for the first time but now I'm back for more! Great little compact. The powder is soft, doesn't crease and certainly doesn't feel like it cost £4. Sits well on my tinted moisturiser and will stay the duration of the day/night.

Designer Eyes - Quartz
Designer Eyes - Quartz

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the price, 27 Dec 2011
This review is from: Designer Eyes - Quartz (Misc.)
Great set of nude eyeshadows for a natural look. I use the cream for an overall base for my eyeliner and it doesn't budge for hours, even after a heavy night out. Great for all occasions, the darker colour meant for the crease of the eye can be used for a smokier effect so very versatile. Great price!

Reading Boyishly: Roland Barthes, J. M. Barrie, Jacques Henri Lartigue, Marcel Proust, and D. W. Winnicott
by Carol Mavor

4.0 out of 5 stars A truley wonderful reflection on the writer., 10 Sep 2011
Mavor is personally one of the most intriguing lecturers I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Her flowery, dream-like voice is most certainly reflected in the beautiful critic (and perhaps part memoir) that is "Reading Boyishly". The writing is poetic and thoughtful, whilst doused with a sense of density; her love for Proust and Barthes definitely exudes. Great to curl up to on a winter evening, perhaps not so great for a reader who enjoys straight forward, fact-based critic. Definitely recommended for the Alice in all of us.

The Boy Who Kicked Pigs
The Boy Who Kicked Pigs
by Tom Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit too dark for me., 17 Aug 2011
I really enjoyed the layout of this book, very simple and a fantastical mix between dark adult humor and a childish appearance. Without giving too much away, I felt the ending was a little too graphic and its childish demeanor was completely lost. I do enjoy a bit of gore (American Psycho would definitely feature in my top 10) but I felt it was a little out of place here. Other then that, I quite enjoyed this book. Easily readable in about... an hour? About 100 pages long (with 'pretty' pictures and full of vibrancy. Except nothing less from Doctor Who.

Jim Giraffe
Jim Giraffe
by Daren King

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghost giraffe? GENIUS., 17 Aug 2011
This review is from: Jim Giraffe (Paperback)
King's dry wit and dark humor is at it's best in the form of Jim, the ghost giraffe. Very easy to read, full of fun and good for someone who doesn't want something heavy.

The book however sort of dips in the middle, and the story trails off into a land of fog, although I'd recommend to stick with it. I would happily read this book again, maybe after a bad day at work.

Not recommended for someone that wouldn't enjoy a dirty-minded giraffe. It is rather silly and the plot isn't exactly solid, but the stuff that Jim comes out with, PRICELESS.

The Raw Shark Texts
The Raw Shark Texts
by Steven Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book, 17 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Raw Shark Texts (Paperback)
I read Raw Shark Texts on holiday and finished it in about a week (was not a beach holiday). Set in Manchester, the story depicts a man who has seemingly lost his memory and wants to find out what his past entails. The story begins right in the middle of one of his blackouts, so it is very easy to slide into the book, and it's hard to stop there!
It's mysterious, fast-paced and full of sharp turns to keep you on your toes. Although not an obvious love story, Hall depicts his protagonists yearn for his former lover in such a delicate way that the book appears loving and emotional without being at all mushy. It's conceptual, modern, funny (at times although I wouldn't label in a comedy) and full of life. I'd recommend it to someone who enjoys a bit of cyberpunk.