Profile for RF > Reviews

RF

Peak District Through the Lens
Peak District Through the Lens
by James Grant

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book for Photographers Seeking the Peak District Vistas, 21 July 2015
Obviously there are limitless places to shoot in the UK. I haven't even shot a tenth of my local national park, Dartmoor, in the last three years. After reading though this book, it does compel me now to get up to the Peaks and other northerly locations more. I think although this book is a great source of information to landscape photographers about the Peaks, and also walker and other open access land users, it is also a great source of inspiration for any part of the country. Shooting heather, mist, villages and waterfalls to name but a few are common aspect we landscape photographers like to shoot but sometimes forget are on our own doorstep.

I have had a fairly extensive read of the book (bit of speed reading). I particularly like the fact that his images are naturally processed, taking advantage of good light to bring out the beauty rather than trying too hard with processing. OK full page images are nice to look at but a photographer, although appreciating the images in this book, wants rather to have images of different viewpoints, so that can make their own composition and mark. I know I scour goggle images for locations, preferably walking sites and POI sites (rather than well composed landscape photographers images - so I'm not biased) before I visit to get an idea of the layout; as well as 1:25 maps for contours and the lay of the land.

Given this is a self-publish book, which sometimes are a bit short on quality, I think it looks very professional and I am sure it will be very popular to people both visiting the peaks and also the natives. After reading through some of the main locations now, the main plus point of this book, over other guides I have read, is the more intimate details of where to walk, the background history and it's significance, and also the kind of "quick cheat sheet" you also get rather than having to wade through vast quantities of text to find what you want (The latter I guess is not specific to this book but I think more detailed).

Althought the book is not hard-backed it does have a folding front and back cover (would weigh a ton in hard-back) to help protect it and the pages are secured to the spine with thread. My only criticism, which is also a compliment, is it's size. Many probably want a pocket guide, and this is far from pocket sized, but for me personally, I'd leave it in the car after reading the approprate section anyway (what I would do with a pocket guide to be honest).

G6 HC58G-6TW - Intel i7 4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz, Intel Processor, Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Graphics Card, 240GB SSD Drive, 1000GB Hard Drive, 1TB HDD, 16GB 1600MHZ RAM, Memory, Z97, Asus Motherboard, Windows 10 Pre-Installed / Multimedia / Home / Family / Gaming PC / Desktop PC / Computer / Tower
Offered by G6 Computers
Price: £1,031.27

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Customer, 16 May 2013
Thining these were cheap and chearful when I bought them but last as long as the OEM battery and for a fraction of the price - overall very happy - the adapter is a bit cheap and the fit is a bit sloppy in the plug socket but fine otherwise.

Hoya 77mm Slim Circular Polarizing Screw-in Filter
Hoya 77mm Slim Circular Polarizing Screw-in Filter
Offered by CameraKing - UK Registered Company. VAT receipt included

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as quite good as my Sigma, 16 May 2013
Pretty good but vignettes on my Canon 17-40mm at 17mm with a Lee Wide angle 100mm filter adapter - OK at 19mm which is that I do - however 1/2 the price of the Sigma - happy overall if I remember to shoot at 19mm :)

GoPro Chest Mount Harness for HERO Cameras
GoPro Chest Mount Harness for HERO Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 27 Feb. 2013
Not cheap but does the job! Comfy and very adjustable and keeps steady with no bounce etc Def a good biking accessory

Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300i Unlocked 16GB (Marble White)
Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300i Unlocked 16GB (Marble White)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 2 July 2012
What can I say in addition to those above - not much but I have not found a single significant fault with this phone or Android ICS thus far (over 1 months of playing with - cough - using this phone) - Awesome - worth the wait as was my wife's Pebble blue version. She loves hers too :)

Micro
Micro
by Michael Crichton

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as good as usual, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Micro (Paperback)
I concur a little with other reviews but I still enjoyed Micro. It is a bit more unbelievable than usual but enjoyable none the less. You do think "honey I shrunk the kids" or "The land of the giants" :) I certainly don't regret this holiday read.