Profile for simon211175 > Reviews

Content by simon211175

simon211175 (UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips GC7635/30 PerfectCare Pure Steam Generator Iron - One Perfect Temperature, 240 g Pressurised Steam Boost

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just any old iron, 27 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I already had an iron. It's been a trusted companion for many, many years. It cost very little, and it did the job; clothes certainly came away looking flat. Who needs to spend the price of a small car on something that - if we were honest - we really don't want to spend any time using?

Having now used this little beauty, I can kinda see why you might.

Starting with the bad points, because nobody ever does that:

* It costs a lot of money
* It's big, bulky and the unit as a whole does not fit on a normal ironing board.
* It needs some crazy water filter cartridges to work. These (Philips GC004/00 PerfectCare Pure Anti-Scale Cartridge) currently cost £15 for 4, and last three months each on average.
* The quality of the ironing is no different to my trusty cheap iron from yesteryear.
* It takes two minutes to warm up - annoying if you just need to iron your shirt before work.

But hey, that's enough with the negativity, here's some good points:

* The base holds 1½ litres of water. This is just under 1½ litres more than my old iron. Hooray, no more trips to the tap.
* The iron is comfortable to hold, and is not too heavy.
* Clothes definitely come out flat after using this.
* It comes with two of those crazy filter cartridges I mentioned.
* You can leave the iron flat on the ironing board while you sort your next clothing victim. It won't cause trouble, and is less likely to get knocked off when the cat decides to brush up against the ironing board's legs.
* One setting to rule them all. No more do we need to faff about trying to work out which heat setting to use, only to find the iron is still a bit too hot and oh, too late - scorch marks.
* It has some cool lighting.

So, I think I'm sold on the idea. If you've got a lot of ironing to get through, on a regular basis - you'd be wise to consider this purple beast. If you prefer the grunge look, and only iron a work shirt here and there, stick with your cheaper option.

The Weeping Willow
The Weeping Willow

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs more story, 16 Mar. 2015
** I was given a free copy of this book in return for an honest review **

I hate not liking books, but I have to admit I struggled with this one. There were times when I would have given this a 2 star rating, but equally, there were times when I would have happily whacked a 4 star against it, so perhaps 3 stars is a good place to stick.

To begin with, the book is short. We'd be paying full book price for what in real terms is probably only a novella. I fear most people would only do that for an author they already know and love.

The idea behind this book is great, but it takes half of the book to even get started, and then skips over what should have been the main story, to get everyone back in time for tea. I can fully understand a book taking 50-100 pages to set the story up, but when the whole book is only 98 pages long it needs to be done quicker.

Negatives aside, I actually really enjoyed some of the writing, the style keeping me reading even when the subject was telling me otherwise.

Would I recommend this book? As a 98 page short story, I'd have to say no. Take the main plot points and fill them out so the book is a few hundred more pages, and I'd probably say yes.

With Silent Screams (The Hellequin Chronicles Book 3)
With Silent Screams (The Hellequin Chronicles Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Stop, 11 Mar. 2015
Sometimes you find yourself hooked on a new series of books, you know - where you can't wait to read the next one. Then all of a sudden, with the storyline left completely open, the author just stops (see Kate Griffin's A Madness of Angels: A Matthew Swift Novel series as a case in point).

Now I find myself hooked on this series, and I'm hoping it won't stop any time soon. With this book we see more of the power associated with Hellequin, as we see him fight alongside Leonardo da Vinci and King Galahad against some large Werelions and a cave troll. I mean, what else can I add to that to make you read this?

Having read the first two books in this series (Crimes Against Magic (The Hellequin Chronicles) and Born of Hatred (The Hellequin Chronicles)) I see no reason why you'd need to read a review to entice you in to reading this book, but if you do then this is it. Go. Read. This. Book.

Now, where's book 4?

Maze Runner 2: The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner)
Maze Runner 2: The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water..., 24 Feb. 2015
When I finished The Maze Runner, I had no clue where this book would be heading, but where it does take us is not what I thought at all. Seriously, this book could have been written by one of the Cranks it describes so well.

I thought the first book would be hard to top, but I'd be tempted to say this one comes in as at least its equal. We're introduced to a new set of characters to add to the survivors of the first, and find ourselves accompanying them through what could be described as a far worse experience.

Without wanting to draw any comparisons, this series is shaping up to be as good as the The Hunger Games Complete Trilogy was, and as such I can only recommend you go read these now. I'm off to get the third in the series...

Bloodmist (The Last Line Book 2)
Bloodmist (The Last Line Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Feb. 2015
I read this book straight off the back of the first (The Feral (The Last Line Book 1)), which although I enjoyed (enough to come straight here) - it had a couple of issues that I felt let it down slightly.

This book, while still suffering from needing a good proof reader, was so much more enjoyable. I loved the scenes with the locals in Carnival - and I'm wondering if we might see Gina the waitress again, considering how highly Usher regarded her abilities at controlling the townsfolk.

So, I've given this book the extra star, making it hit the top mark - I'd recommend this to anyone who read the first book, even if you weren't overly keen on it. If you've not read that, go do it, then read this one. I'm just a bit disappointed now to find there's no more waiting for me. I'm not a patient man.

The Feral (The Last Line Book 1)
The Feral (The Last Line Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Guns are guns are guns., 5 Feb. 2015
** I was given a free copy of this book in return for an honest review **

I liked the sound of the story in this book, so when I was asked if I would review it for the author, I jumped at the chance, but reading it off the back of some very fast-paced books, this was going to have to start pretty spectacularly to keep my attention. Luckily, it did just that.

I found the characters hard to get to grips with at the start, more so than is normal when starting a new book - there's Isaac and Usher, but Usher is Thom's last name not his first, and he has a son called Isaac, who isn't Isaac. Also, there's a point where Usher starts seeing Ursula. Naming in books is always difficult - and it didn't take too long to get over my confusions.

The story flows nicely here, there's a lot of ground to cover, and a lot of things happening - but there were never any parts of this where I felt like putting the book down. There were times when I thought I probably wouldn't read the second book, but having finished this one, that's exactly what I've found myself doing, which is as much of a recommendation to this that I can give.

However. There are some bad points. Two of them. The first I suspect is part of this genre, and something that is likely only an issue for me - I'm not in the Forces, and I have very little interest in weaponry. Due to the nature of this book, there are a lot of references to the characters use of weapons at the time. I don't care what make, model, or bullet size is being used - it doesn't add anything to the story. If one of the characters made use of a pen for example to stab someone with - would we care if it's a Parker, Cross, or Bic? Maybe others would, and maybe this is just something I'll have to deal with, but it's in my top three of annoying things in books, so there's my rant.

The second issue I have, is something that I find very tiny in comparison - but it's also something that would make others stop reading. This book is in dire need of a good proof-reader. There are so many pages with incorrect spellings of a word (ie red / read, not spelling mistakes), and sentences with missing words or words that make no sense in the context. It doesn't bother me so much - as long as I can understand what's meant, which in most cases I could - but it is something that needs looking at (especially as the second book appears to have the same problem).

Overall, if you're a fan of the genre, read this book.

Born of Hatred (The Hellequin Chronicles)
Born of Hatred (The Hellequin Chronicles)

5.0 out of 5 stars Second in a great new series, 5 Feb. 2015
This book is the follow up to the great Crimes Against Magic (The Hellequin Chronicles), and if you've read that, then there is no doubt you'll be reading this. With that in mind, my review is pointless. If you've not read that book, go there now, read it and we'll see you back here shortly.

This book continues the series in a great way - the character histories are expanded, and we get our first glimpse into the Hellequin" of the series title.

I for one would suggest you all keep a close eye on this author. I for one will be popping over to read the third book (With Silent Screams (The Hellequin Chronicles Book 3)) shortly.

Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running & Gym/exercise Bluetooth Earbuds Headphones Headsets W/microphone for Iphone 5s 5c 4s 4, Ipad 2 3 4 New Ipad, Ipod, Android, Samsung Galaxy, Smart Phones Bluetooth Devices (QY7, black/green)
Offered by SOUNDSOUL Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality sound at an affordable price, 20 Jan. 2015
** This item was sent to me in return for an honest review **

I've never used BlueTooth earphones before, I have a nice pair of Sennheiser in-ear ones I use mostly, and also a pair of Beats headphones. I have to admit, I was impressed with the quality of sound on these. I'm no "audiophile", but I do like my music to sound good. These do just that, and I've found myself using them more than I expected to.

The earpieces attached by default were the perfect fit for me, and were very comfortable, with no chance of accidentally slipping out. For those of you with larger or smaller ears, there are different sizes in the box for your pleasure.

All the buttons you need are arranged nicely for ease of access, and provide audible alerts to let you know what you've done (a beep when the volume hits min/max levels, or a voice letting you know you've switched the device on/off).

I've tested this device with a Samsung Galaxy Alpha mobile phone - the initial pairing was simple, and the two connect with each other instantly when in range.

Overall, I am seriously impressed with these earphones, and am looking for a Bluetooth dongle now for my laptop so I can use them with that too. At this price you can't go wrong - highly recommended.

Konig HAV-TR900BL Portable Retro DAB Radio - Black with Cream Accents - Carry Handle
Offered by ZONNIX UK LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Making sweet music, 29 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I ordered this fella, I was expecting something slightly smaller. It's not huge, but I had pictured something that would sit nicely on my bedside table. That said, it's probably the only bad thing I can say about it.

Other reviewers have commented on the materials used in this radio.It's a modern radio made of modern materials, the quality of which seems good to me.

When I turned this on for the first time - as others have said - it auto tuned and started up the first digital station. It took less than a minute to achieve this, and the result was good clear music. Again, others have criticised the sound quality of this device - I'm not hung up on sound quality, but I do expect music to sound clear and crisp. This radio does just that, and when compared to a digital radio costing half the price, there really is no comparison.

The link up to a mobile phone is easy, although it does require a 3½mm to 3½mm jack to do so - and this is not supplied. I would have preferred a bluetooth or wifi option - but that's really just niggling.

Overall, this is a great looking, great sounding radio for a great price.

Unpossible
Unpossible

4.0 out of 5 stars slip sliding away, 24 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Unpossible (App)
A good time waster of a game. The graphics are well done, and the game flows at a good pace to keep you on your toes. Recommended to anyone with a few minutes to kill here and there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20