Profile for Tearless > Reviews

Content by Tearless

Tearless

1.0 out of 5 stars CAVEAT EMPTOR, 1 Jun. 2015
I wish I had read these reviews before I purchased this destructive herbicide. Yes; my grass paths and lawns are now just as disfigured as other reviewers have reported. And I too reported the problem to Westland Resolva who assured me that there was no problem with the 'batch' which I had purchased: they advised me to lightly rake over the 'burnt' patches and re-seed. They would send me some grass seed but of course it hasn't arrived and I'm not sure that I would wish to try their grass seed or indeed any of their products ever again. I shall have to use it up on gravel weeds. This item should be addressed by WATCHDOG.

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm bathroom, 31 Dec. 2013
Bought this to provide instant and temporary heat to bathroom where underfloor heating on cold winter days was insufficient.
Easy to fix and adjust timings and 1kw/2kw heat control.

HMS Bermuda Days: An Ordinary Seaman's Log
HMS Bermuda Days: An Ordinary Seaman's Log
by Peter Broadbent

4.0 out of 5 stars HMS BERMUDA DAYS - Peter Broadbent, 5 Nov. 2013
This book gleams like the glittering lettering on an old Naval rum tub and will appeal to everyone who has salt in their veins. Indeed you will savour the aroma of rum at Tot Time, sniff the whiff of cordite after a 6" gunnery shoot, and breathe the fumes of tobacco smoke. You will hear the shrill trill of the boatswain's call and the chatter of messdeck banter. You will taste the stodgy food of broadside messing. You will feel the coarse ropes and the tin of bluebell metal polish in your hand. You will see the lofty WW2-bemedalled Admiral and Captain (who are both accorded their real names).

Far too many maritime books, plays and films are a vision from the Bridge or the Quarterdeck. This is a view from Up For'ard and therefore a highly valuable record to which future social historians would wisely turn to ascertain what Naval life was really like, both afloat and ashore, during the mid and late c20th Cold War at sea.

A tonic of laughter and nostalgia. Well researched and well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars TV restored to life, 7 Sept. 2013
We purchased this Sony-compatible TV remote controller from M&L Remotes in Somerton (Somerset) as their price was really competitive and about 1/3rd what Sony was asking! The remote simply needed batteries and we were immediately up and running again. Highly recommended for speed of delivery and for for doing everything that it claimed to do!

Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Scan to SD Stand Alone Slide and Negative Scanner
Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Scan to SD Stand Alone Slide and Negative Scanner
Offered by Veho Lifestyle Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Idiot Proof!, 28 Jun. 2012
I decided to buy this scanner having read the Amazon reviews of all the scanners seemingly available. I had about 1400 slides to shift into a digital format on my computer and had planned this to be a winter-time project but this year's June Washout brought the task forward. I was easily able to scan 100 slides in about an hour each day so the task was soon completed. Rather than using the veho software from their CD I imported every 'dollop' from the SD card directly into Google's 'picasa' as I know this system well and was able to sort out most of any colour changes except on the very oldest slides where colours had faded and here it was sometimes easier to simplify them into black-and-white. The veho VFS Smartfix Scan system is very easy to use and having printed off and looked through the 'handbook' (in draft type) from the CD, I set to work! My only slight reservation is that the plastic slide carrier (3 slides at a time) seems a bit flimsy for the task but the fact remains that I was able to shift all 1400 slides without a problem. Well recommended.

Ex-Pro® HDMI Digital Freeview Receiver & Recorder - HD 1080p - DVB-T Adapter (Record TV to a USB Drive and playback !) - Unobtrusive Angle Scart Fitting
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Digital TV switchover, 21 April 2012
As our region has recently been switched over from a mix of analogue AND digital to digital only, I researched the various devices listed by Amazon and read their reviews before deciding upon this one so that we could continue to use a small Sony TV set. I have to say it works perfectly and the picture seems better than the one on our newer digital TV set. However being 'ancient' we are simply into VIEWING and NOT into recording so I have not tried this latter aspect aspect of the equipment. Well recommended and at a very good price.

T-Mobile Pay As You Go Sim Card
T-Mobile Pay As You Go Sim Card

5.0 out of 5 stars tearless, 30 Jan. 2012
This is exceptionally good value. At only 1p and no postage/packing charge it has to be unbeatable. Delivery within 48 hours and immediately operational within my mobile telephone I can recommend this whole-heartedly. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tearless, 31 Dec. 2011
Amazingly good value. Fully operational T-mobile SIM card for only 1p. NO P&P! Ordered 29 Dec; received 31 Dec. Wonderful service. Can certainly recommend Phones2Post and Amazon for this.

The Cockleshell Heroes: The Final Witness
The Cockleshell Heroes: The Final Witness
by Quentin Rees

4.0 out of 5 stars Bored? Oh! - No, 31 Dec. 2011
I too share some of the Military Historian's concerns mainly because some of Mr Rees' extremely extensive researches seem by lack of word to the contrary to be inferred as his own whereas the serious spadework was actually done by others. Granted he has certainly acknowledged in the Bibliography Southby-Tailyour's biography of Hasler 'Blondie' and also Boisnier's 'Le Commando de l'Impossible' (in French) but the researches in these two works feature a good deal more in this book than he has actually acknowledged. This to my mind seems a pity. What is lost by giving credit where credit is due? Having known Hasler and his Sapper brother and their mother during and after the War and having, until recently, been a member of 'Frankton Souvenir' in France where I often met Francois Boisnier and some of the French featured in the books and having walked the original Hasler/Sparks Escape Route (not the newly created Frankton Trail) from Blaye to Ruffec I do know a little of the story and have given an occasional lecture about it to raise funds for Sevice charities. Without doubt Hasler and 'Frankton' have become the 'Nelson' and 'Trafalgar' of the RM's SBS and the SBS (et al) will find this book compelling reading because after all this must now be 'The Final Witness'. I certainly think it is worth 4 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2012 7:52 PM BST