Profile for stass81 > Reviews

Death Before Musick
Death Before Musick
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Amen - (mu)Sick of it all, 25 April 2004
This review is from: Death Before Musick (Audio CD)
These past few years have not been kind to Amen. After their explosiveself titled debut on Roadrunner, they were kicked off the label, only tosign on to Virgin to make 'We Have Come For Parents'. Despite the hypearound Amen at the time, they were kicked off the label and as a result,stopped the production of their would-be third album. With all theoriginal members jumping ship, and no longer associated with RossRobinson, Amen should be dead and gone. But now that's not thecase.
Recorded at various garages and studio's, with mainman CaseyChaos on all instruments except the drums, Amen have been resurrectedthanks to Daron Malakian (of System of a Down fame), signing Amen to hiseatURmusic imprint on Colombia records. As with most punk music, Amendoesn't stray too far from previous efforts. With the music still ascaustic (on the borderline between punk and metal), and subject matterstill aimed at the faults of American popular culture, although will neverlive up to their debut album, Amen have come up with another album toplease their fanbase, with Casey Chaos sounding like a man against allodds, and with nothing to loose.
Personal highlights include Bring Me The Heads, Please Kill Me,EXTERMINATE!, F**k in LA and new single California Bleeding, these songsare tailor made to be fan favourites at their gigs (I have seen them twiceand Amen, in any shape or form, always put on an explosive performance,with Casey Chaos one of the greatest frontmen around). Which might beironic as at time of writing, the new members of Amen are reported to havewalked out on Casey Chaos in England. I hope this doesn't lead to more badluck (let alone another label search), as Amen in my opinion are one ofthe true punk bands around, and it shows on 'Death Before Musick'.

BLACKWATER PARK
BLACKWATER PARK
Offered by FastMedia "Ships From USA"

5.0 out of 5 stars Rediscovered Classic, 3 Nov. 2003
This review is from: BLACKWATER PARK (Audio CD)
I first heard Blackwater Park when I borrowed it off my friend. At first I wasn't impressed, I wasn't used to the songs and the vocals, and quickly dismissed it as usual Death metal. But I did copy it to cassette, and that was the last I heard of it.
One year later, going through many recorded cassettes, I put on Opeth, and the first song was Patterns In the Ivy, which I thought was a beautiful, albeit short piece of music, and at the time of hearing it a year before, never understood how it fitted on the album. So I listened to the cassette, and from then on I was kicking myself for dismissing them before! So I kept playing the album over and over until it got chewed up in my stereo, leaving me no choice but to buy the album!
The album is one of the most amazing albums I have ever heard. Even though based in the Death metal genre, Opeth are more than that. Heavy rock songs interspersed with acoustic ambience and eastern tinges , vocals ranging from gutteral roar to jaw dropping harmonies, and in arrangements as long as 10 minutes and over (bar Harvest and Patterns In The Ivy). I've never heard anything like it before, but the style is reminiscent of Tool, which makes me wonder why I never got into them before.
The album as a whole is magnificent, so picking highlights is pointless, but there is enough quailty in the first four songs altogether to make this album a classic, especially when you realise you are only halfway through the album! Also on the second disc are two acoustic numbers, hinting at the ucoming direction for Damnation, another great album may I add! And it also includes the video for Harvest. For anyone who wants more from heavy music, buy this album, as it will change your life.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2013 8:00 AM BST

The Best of Shat
The Best of Shat
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars What a load of SHAT!!!, 3 Nov. 2003
This review is from: The Best of Shat (Audio CD)
The first time I ever heard Shat was when the were supporting Dillinger Escape Plan and The Icarus Line. They played for about 15-20 minutes, the lead singer was wearing a helmet with dildos stuck to it, the drummer was in an adult nappy while wearing an old man mask and there was a blow up doll at the side of the stage. If that didn't make an impression on me, then the music...well okay I don't remember the music other than Cherry Pop, It's Time For You To Suck On My Penis, and an impromptu song about Guinness. So through bemusement, I bought their album at the gig (from the naked woman at the merch table may I add!).
Now the music...well this is one of weirdest albums I've heard, along with Anal C**t, Mr Bungle and Big Dumb Face. From looking at the tracklist, you figure out that the songs are very short, and don't have many lyrics, besides the song title. The closest I can try to describe the music is a mixture of System of a Down, Blink 182, South Park and the the other bands above. Highlights from this album are : Lick My Balls Then My Ass, Tit F**k, Jerk Off Joe, F**k It, You Can't Just S**t, C**t Flavored Lollipops, Fat Ho and Cherry Pop. Well, that list usually changes as everytime I listen to the album, I find something new. One of the funniest albums you'll ever hear.

Past, Present & Future [CD + DVD]
Past, Present & Future [CD + DVD]
Offered by MediaMerchants

4.0 out of 5 stars An introduction to Zombie, 3 Nov. 2003
Rob Zombie has been around for many years so eventually there would be a Greatest Hits released. But this 2CD package is different from the usual greatest hits formula.
First of all, even though it says Rob Zombie, it includes White Zombie numbers. Secondly, half of the tracks are choice cuts from both Zombie's discography (not including the remix albums) while the other half consists of songs featured on soundtracks, 2 previously unreleased tracks and a Ramones cover. Also you get a bonus DVD containing 10 Zombie videos.
So not only is this album targeted at recent converts to Zombie, it also targets Zombie completists. The only reason i'm not giving this 5 stars is basically the fact that I (and other fans) have to fork out money for music I already have. While it is also good to have new Zombie material, some songs are questionable. For example: the cover version of Blitzrieg Bop and the duet with Lionel Ritchie! But then again Rob has always been an eccentric! And relating to the soundtrack songs, personally I would have put The One (from Escape From L.A.) and Ratfinks, Suicide Tanks and Cannonball Girls (from Beavis and Butthead Do America) on the album. But then again, you can't have everything!
But for me, these are minor criticisms, as what makes up for them is the bonus DVD containing the video's, especially Dragula. I forgot how funny that video is! Plus I never get to see any Zombie videos on TV (even on MTV2!). Overall a worthwhile purchase.

Extreme Championship Wrestling: November To Remember 95 [DVD]
Extreme Championship Wrestling: November To Remember 95 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ecw

4.0 out of 5 stars Blonde Haired Steve Austin WHAT?, 6 May 2003
The first thing that attracted me to this DVD was that it featured Steve Austin (Stone Cold) on the cover. And looking at the line up of familiar wrestlers (Rey Mysterio Jr, Konnan) with the usual ECW regulars (Raven, Sandman), I decided to check it out. At first, I was beginning to worry about my purchase as the first two matches (1. Don E. Allen vs Broadstreet Bully, 2. Konnan vs Jason) were total no starters, and there was an unlisted match with Stevie Richards, where The Blue Meanie is introduced. But then came the return of Sabu, after a near fatal neck injury at the hands of Chris Benoit, who later faces The Shah in another unlisted match. This is in my view one of the main highlights of the DVD, along with Sandman & 2 Cold Scorpio vs Public Enemy (the dance-off has to be seen to be believed!), The Mexican Death Match with Rey Mysterio Jr vs Psicosis, and Steve Austin vs Mikey Whipwreck, in which Austin at the time was recently fired from WCW by Eric Bischoff. The gimmick match of the DVD is between Bill Alfonso and Commisioner Tod Gordon. But mayhem erupts when Terry Funk & Tommy Dreamer square off against Raven & Cactus Jack, giving a hectic, brutal main event, ECW style! A really good DVD, with a few suprises that only ECW could offer.

Gluey Porch Treatments
Gluey Porch Treatments

2.0 out of 5 stars In Words Of Forrest Gump..., 21 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Gluey Porch Treatments (Audio CD)
Melvins albums are like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get. As a fan of The Crybaby and Electroretard, I decided to check out their first album (re-released on Mike Patton's Ipecac label). The first three songs sound well, but after that, it starts to get very tedious. The rest of the songs sound very similar...Hell, some of these "songs" only last a couple of seconds! Which means that if I were to add up the total time of the best songs on the album, it would only be around 15-20 minutes. And they even have the demo's of the songs, which makes this album a pretty tedious, repetitive and boring listen.
At least they get better...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2010 2:10 AM GMT