Profile for Mr. P. Harkness > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Harkness

Mr. P. Harkness (UK)

Don't They Know It's Friday? Cross-Cultural Considerations for Business and Life in the Gulf
by Jeremy Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Sept. 2014
Essential reading for anyone and everyone who wants to work with, for or alongside Arabs.

The Man in the Snow: A Christmas Crime (a John Shakespeare story)
The Man in the Snow: A Christmas Crime (a John Shakespeare story)

5.0 out of 5 stars I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, 13 Sept. 2014
Yet another really enjoyable book from one of a leading author. Atmospheric, gripping and entertaining, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Open the first page and transport yourself back in time. Sit back and feel part of the story. Highly recommended.

Outside Garden Tap Jacket Frost Cover
Outside Garden Tap Jacket Frost Cover
Offered by Electro World

3.0 out of 5 stars Not fully tested, 8 Dec. 2011
To be honest I bought the tap jacket as padding to protect myself, not the tap, as I kept walking into it and was getting fed up with both my stupidity and the tap's wilful ability to cause severe pain. As padding it has worked well (my leg can vouch for it), however as 'frost cover' I'm afraid that the weather has not deteriorated to the extent that I can provide any useful comment on its primary function. So, if you are looking for padding to protect yourself from a protuding tap, then this is the tap jacket you're after. For comments on its frost protection abilities, please read the other reviews!

Roman - The Fall of Britannia (The Roman Chronicles Book 1)
Roman - The Fall of Britannia (The Roman Chronicles Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 6 Nov. 2011
I had never heard of Kevin Ashman before, nor of any of his books, and only bought 'Romans' out of curiosity (I normally avoid such books). I wish I had known about him earlier. I have to admit that I was gripped from the outset and found myself rushing home after work to get back to the book. Each chapter concludes by taking you to the cliff edge of suspense, requiring you read on to find out what happens next (fine for insomniacs, but not so good for those of us who need our sleep!). It has been a while since I have come across an author who has enthralled me to such an extent. While this is only the first book I have read by Mr Ashman, it places him amongst the top third of fiction writers who manage to capture their reader's imagination and keep it imprisoned throughout. A really good book; easy to read, thoroughly enjoyable and historically interesting. I am looking forward to reading his other books.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2011 7:35 PM GMT

The Appalling Guests: Social Stereotypes from the "Telegraph Magazine"
The Appalling Guests: Social Stereotypes from the "Telegraph Magazine"
by Victoria Mather

5.0 out of 5 stars As Expected, 2 Jun. 2010
What did you expect from such a well established pair? Once more the winning combination has produced more of the same, yet each and every stereotype is different. Hugely entertaining, although always slightly alarming when you recognise yourself in some of them! Every loo should have several copies on hand, while the latest edition should be kept in the guest bedroom. A house without at least one of these books is a very grim place and says much about the owners. The Social Stereotypes have become a British institution; we love to laugh at ourselves as much as we enjoy laughing at others. So go ahead and buy one....be British.

To Do and Die
To Do and Die
by Patrick Mercer

5.0 out of 5 stars History brought to life, 20 May 2009
This review is from: To Do and Die (Hardcover)
Patrick Mercer is a leading authority on the Crimean War and has already published authoratitive accounts of the campaign. With such extensive first-hand knowledge, it has been only a small step for him to cross the line into fiction. And yet it is fiction based on a real historical character, accurately set against a gruelling and forgotten war, and written by a man who has himself led men on operations and knows first-hand the realities of combat. The combination has produced an excellent book that conjures up the sounds, taste and feel for war.

The awkwardness in portraying the love affair between officer and erstwhile maid reflects the genuine awkwardness that would have existed. Similarly the fear that grips Morgan on returning to the front line after being injured is one shared by many soldiers; it doesn't prevent him from doing his duty, but it knaws at him nevertheless.

There are many authors who write military novels, but few who have the knowledge and experience to do so with feeling. I thoroughly enjoyed Patrick Mercer's first novel, not just because I am a soldier and budding historian, but because it rings true. I hope a second novel will follow shortly.