Profile for Mr. Jcp Curtoys > Reviews

Content by Mr. Jcp Curtoys

Mr. Jcp Curtoys "celeriacsoup" (UK)

Customer
Customer
Offered by roundMediaUK
Price: 5.05

4.0 out of 5 stars If you need your music spoon-fed don't bother with this..., 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Customer (Audio CD)
...and ignore the other review on amazon.co.uk; see the .com reviews. This is an interesting and challenging collection of pieces of music. You can hear the sonic connections with Bon Iver, but they go further and extend the tangents making it a far more experiemental experience. It requires patience but there are some joyful moments. I am already looking forward to hearing their other albums as well as Volcano Choir.

Bon Iver, Bon Iver
Bon Iver, Bon Iver
Price: 8.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 13 Jun 2012
This review is from: Bon Iver, Bon Iver (Audio CD)
I bought this CD at Christmas and have been listening to it ever since. I still get excited by the prospect of listening to it and each time I listen to the first track am compelled to listen to the rest. Each song flows from one to the next like a continuous mass; always a good sign is that I still don't know what any of the tracks are called, they are all about as good as each other, nothing sticks out as being better or worse than the rest. Just writing about it makes me want to play it again.

If it's not in my top ten album's in the next five years I will be surprised, amongst which is Blood on the Tracks, Spirit of Eden, Born in the Sky (Lee Perry), Elephant etc.

I seem to the only person who didn't think the first album was that good. I liked it, but stopped listening after a couple of weeks. I will be playing this album for years. Brilliant.

James Blake
James Blake
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 8.19

5.0 out of 5 stars A slow burner, 8 Jun 2011
This review is from: James Blake (Audio CD)
Have been listening to this album on and off for 3 months or so. He had me with Limit to your love, the other tracks have taken longer to sink in, mainly because they are so unusual - mutiliated voices, quirky electronics, off-time beats and silence, all used to intruiging effect. I have gone on to buy the other EPs, all of which I am enjoying.

I went to see him in Manchester last night. He is an accomplished player and performer and gave a great, if a little short, show. Then listened to the whole album on the way home and got it even more strongly. This is interesting music and worth the hard work that the strange, spiky arrangements and compositions present. I can't wait to hear what he does next.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2011 11:01 PM BST

We're New Here
We're New Here
Price: 10.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 28 May 2011
This review is from: We're New Here (Audio CD)
I bought this album 3 months ago and am still listening now. I think the poor average comes from the disgruntled GSH fans who think it's a travesty. It is not. It is interesting music and an enjoyable listen. The beautiful, rich voice of GSH and quirky and sparky electronics hits the spot more often than not.

As for the negative comments about the image of Jamie xx posing in the same stance as GSH...well who'd have thought it, a potential pop star with an ego. At least that ego makes him take some risks. This risk is well worth a listen.

I am now off to buy the GSH original.

Crash [2005] [DVD]
Crash [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sandra Bullock
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 27 Feb 2007
This review is from: Crash [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
Whilst this is a well made film with an immediately engaging storyline and good acting, I became increasingly annoyed at the over-simplification of the issues, and then started to suspend my belief in the characters. By the end I was incredibly disappointed and felt my intelligence had been insulted. I suppose this is not unusual for American movies; a great idea simplified into a meaningless film. Worth watching but don't expect any interesting insights.