Profile for M.O.F. > Reviews

The Skinny Rules
The Skinny Rules
by Bob Harper
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly great - but one size does not fit all......, 21 July 2014
This review is from: The Skinny Rules (Paperback)
I bought this book as I have been watching 'Biggest Loser' and really like Bob Harper. I've already lost 2 stone, and found that I'm already following a few of the rules just using common sense. I read this book in two days, as I really wanted to get the most from it quickly. I agree with most of the rules and I'm making the changes I need to follow as many as I can (drinking water before every meal and switching to wholemeal were the first two to be added to my routines). Eating berries and apple was also not too big a change for me. There is one rule however that I tried and have ruled out as it is NOT FOR ME. Going to bed hungry - I can see the theory behind it, but it doesn't work for me personally. I tried it for two days, but ended up so hungry that I ate biscuits late evening and then felt bad.. You might be thinking 'Greedy so and so has no willpower', but up until that point I'd gone three months without a single biscuit or cake! They weren't even biscuits that I liked! Overall I loved this book, but have to reduce the stars because following some of the advice made me slip up a bit and then feel bad (not a good thing for a comfort eater) - hopefully though the rest of the rules will help me make healthy long term changes to my diet.

Nivea Visage Hydrating Primer Normal/ Combination 50ml
Nivea Visage Hydrating Primer Normal/ Combination 50ml
Price: 2.48

4.0 out of 5 stars This feels lovely and cool on the skin and soaks in quickly, 21 July 2014
I bought this on Amazon as it was much cheaper here than other sites. This feels lovely and cool on the skin and soaks in quickly. My make-up stays put all day. My daughter loves it too, so I've set up 'subscribe and save' to get a regular delivery a little cheaper. I'm sure there are better primers out there, but this one is very cheap and does the job.

Quest Nutrition White Chocolate Raspberry Quest Bar - Pack of 12 Bars
Quest Nutrition White Chocolate Raspberry Quest Bar - Pack of 12 Bars
Offered by united care
Price: 19.46

5.0 out of 5 stars These bars have are great for helping me meet my macros for protein, 21 July 2014
These bars have are great for helping me meet my macros for protein, but with reduced carbs - however they are very, very sweet - too much so for my taste. I will finish the box I received, but will stick to my promax lean dark chocolate mint bars for future orders - which taste richer and more satisfying.

Edited to update: I've now finished the box, and these have grown on me. I've become used to the sweet taste and really like them now - just goes to show that first impressions are not always right!
I'm just about to order another box :-)

Casio Edifice Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Analogue Display and Silver Stainless Steel Bracelet EFM-501D-1AVEF
Offered by tictocwatches
Price: 79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Husband loves it....., 27 Dec 2013
This is quite a heavy, chunky watch - but this is what I was looking for. A previous review mentioned not being able to turn the knob to change the time, and we had this problem at first, until we read the instructions! On some models you have to give the knob a little twist first (I haven't described it very well here, as it's my husband who did it, but it's fully explained in the instructions).
Over all a hit, and I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Sea Quest: 1: Cephalox the Cyber Squid
Sea Quest: 1: Cephalox the Cyber Squid
by Adam Blade
Price: 3.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for boys 6+, 20 Nov 2013
My son had raved about the Sea Quest books after seeing one in his school book fair. We eventually worked out that this title is the first book in the series and ordered it. He was absolutely delighted with it. He's nearly 6 and has a reading age of 7.5 years. There are lots of long words, but he has managed to decode most of them when reading his parts. We've been asking him to read the first page of each chapter to us, and then we read the rest (as the story flows better when read at a faster pace), but it won't be too long before he will be reading them independently. I thought these books might be too scary (the covers look gruesome), but they're actually just really great stories.
The books have trading cards and stickers at the back - and this book has a passport that you fill in with stickers and send off for a free poster - so make sure if you're buying a used copy that these bits are unused, as it would be a great shame to get one with these missing.
Overall these are great books - either for confident readers or to read to less able readers. I've entitled this review as a boys' book - but girls would also enjoy it.

Losing Lila
Losing Lila
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great follow up to Hunting Lila, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Losing Lila (Kindle Edition)
Without giving away the plot, this is a great follow up book - if you enjoyed the first book 'Hunting Lila' you'll enjoy this one too. It's probably not great as a stand alone book though - you really need to read the first book, t get the best out of it.

Tuppeny Times
Tuppeny Times
by Beryl Kingston
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start to a trilogy......, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Tuppeny Times (Paperback)
This book is the first of a trilogy which contains this book plus 'Fourpenny Flyer' and 'Sixpenny Stalls'. I bought this book after reading the Octavia books by Beryl Kingston, as I enjoy her writing style. This book is about a poor girl who marries above her station, but finds herself having to make a living to support her children. It's a real rags to riches story, but as with the other Beryl Kingston books I have read, you can really identify with the main character. She is a female living in a world ruled by men, having to battle against both discrimination against her sex and her class - a very strong character, but not without her faults. A great book, I can't wait for the next two books to arrive through my door!

Octavia's War
Octavia's War
by Beryl Kingston
Price: 13.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel to Octavia, 14 Nov 2012
This review is from: Octavia's War (Hardcover)
I read the first book in this series 'Octavia' last week and was hooked. I ordered this book and enjoyed it just as much. The story (not giving any spoilers) basically follows Octavia and her family from just before the Second World War. There are obviously some tragedies, given the period in question, and the holocaust is a theme which appears regularly due to Octavia's contacts around the world. I read this half wanting a 'happy ever after' ending, and half thinking it wouldn't be realistic. You shall have to read the book, to discover whether she has one or not.....

Ravensburger Octonauts, Sea Eels and Ladders Game
Ravensburger Octonauts, Sea Eels and Ladders Game
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a 'snakes and ladders' for little kids, 6 Nov 2012
To be honest anything Octonaut related would go down well in our house, but this has been a really pleasant surprise. Having the double sided board so you can start with colours instead of numbers is a great introduction to the game, so although the game in suitable for children over 36 months for safety reasons, our two year old (who no longer puts things in his mouth I would stress), can play the colour side with some help, while his four year old brother is happy playing either side.

Trade Mark Collections Octonauts Swimbag
Trade Mark Collections Octonauts Swimbag

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal swim bag for your little Octonaut, 6 Nov 2012
My son is Octonauts mad and has just started swimming lessons, so this was ideal. I thought it would be quite flimsy given the low price, but was pleasantly suprised when it arrived as the quality is better than I would have expected. There is pleany of room for my son's swimming things, and snack for after swimming, and it is easy to keep clean. My two year old is Octo mad too (he loves everything his brother loves), and although I wouldn't leave him unsupervised with this, I have bought him one too as a welly bag for nursery. A huge hit.

Page: 1 | 2